HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Hey Guys, I got a new charger and I know at what rate to charge but not sure about max discharge rate? Does anyone know at what rate, in amps, the 120 discharges the batt.? Also am I correct in saying it should only be discharged down to 3.85V, and max is 4.2V? The charger by the way is a Racers Edge 2010. I would like to Thank All who respond at this time.WS
Wind, why did you buy such an expensive charger? I have a Thunder AC6 that I paid $54.00. The only thing it cannot do is charge multiple battery packs such as 2S/6S. It's been serving me well for almost two years and is a hum-dinger for $54.00. Many other members recommended this charger to me.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Wind, why did you buy such an expensive charger? I have a Thunder AC6 that I paid $54.00. The only thing it cannot do is charge multiple battery packs such as 2S/6S. It's been serving me well for almost two years and is a hum-dinger for $54.00. Many other members recommended this charger to me.

Mike.
You can charge multiple packs with a 6S to 3x2S adapter Mike.
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Hi all,

Just bought a 120sr. I have noticed a ticking noise while in flight. Does anyone know what causes this ticking noise. I am up to page 64 of 500 pages of this thread but, have not found an answer so far. Has anyone determined what causes this ticking noise?
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Hey Mike, there is just one thing that someone else explained to me with regards to my 190mAh batteries for the mSR:
While you are charging, there is some amperage "lost" in the process (this "lost" amperage can be 20% or more) and the charger does not really "know" that this is the case. So I am not sure that, if you absolutely want to apply this 80% rule, it is really accurate to just take the nominal mAh's and multiply by 0.8 ...

I am far from being an expert on LiPo's (not even a well educated average user - and I am sure you read a lot more about this subject than I did) but it just strikes me a little to "generalizing" ...
The 80% rule does not discriminate as to how many cells there are (if you read the link i supplied). If you take your 190mah batt and recharge it after a flight, the mah's put back should not exceed 152 ma's. I only fly my Thunder Power 160mah batts for 5 minutes "exactly." I never have to worry about mah's put back because they are "always" way below 128ma's put back (160 X .8 = 128).

Now, getting back to your point about amp loss during charging process. After my batteries rest (i usually give them about an hour) there may be a slight drop in voltage. I just put them back on the charger to top it off.

The 80% rule IMO, is just a "rule of thumb" and a "guild line".. Seriously though, there is nothing cut in stone when it comes to lipos as each pack is different. As you know (because of your RC experience) every lipo flys different, even if the rating is the same.

Mike.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
You can charge multiple packs with a 6S to 3x2S adapter Mike.
Interesting...how do you "balance" charge? BTW, the Thunder AC6 is 50W

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Hi all,

Just bought a 120sr. I have noticed a ticking noise while in flight. Does anyone know what causes this ticking noise. I am up to page 64 of 500 pages of this thread but, have not found an answer so far. Has anyone determined what causes this ticking noise?
Check the teeth on the large white gear carefully. Sounds like you might have a tooth missing.

Mike.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Thanks Chap1012. I'll do that.

Update:
Did that but, no teeth missing.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Quote:

Update:
What kind of tick? Slow? Fast? Loud? Quiet? Increasing with rpm? Plastic sounding or metallic sounding?

It's probably too obscure to be able to pin down exactly why YOUR bird is making a particular noise. I don't think anyone has ever conclusively pinned down any single specific issue on this subject. If you upload an audio or video clip that may help, but your best bet is to take it to your lhs and just ask there.
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2008
10,909 Posts
Quote:

Update:
Did you check this under a magnifier? Sometimes broken/missing teeth can be very difficult to spot. Also turn the rotor very slowly and "feel" for any jamming.

Did you crash this?

Mike.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,872 Posts
Quote:
Interesting...how do you "balance" charge? BTW, the Thunder AC6 is 50W

Mike.
Use an adapter like this:
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...n-cable/Detail
This will make the charger "ID" your three 2S batteries as one 6S battery.

Then you need to split the power out over your 3 batteries:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6X-JST-Lip...item35afb2832b

and "booom" ... you can balance charge 3 2S batteries at a time ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
Can you upload a video, JS?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Spirit View Post
Hey Guys, I got a new charger and I know at what rate to charge but not sure about max discharge rate? Does anyone know at what rate, in amps, the 120 discharges the batt.? Also am I correct in saying it should only be discharged down to 3.85V, and max is 4.2V? The charger by the way is a Racers Edge 2010. I would like to Thank All who respond at this time.WS
I was looking at that charger but have vied towards the iCharger 1010B+
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FCharger.html

Do I really need a 12Vdc 16 AMP power supply for this? For now I will be charging 1,2 & 3S lipos
octanejunkie is offline Find More Posts by octanejunkie
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Quote:
Did you check this under a magnifier? Sometimes broken/missing teeth can be very difficult to spot. Also turn the rotor very slowly and "feel" for any jamming.

Did you crash this?

Mike.
Yes I have crashed it many times. So far only replaced linkages and a tail motor. Oh! And submerged it twice in the aquarium. It flies normally and has done it since the first flight.

The noise is an actual tick ( tick tick tick tick ) such as the ticking of a clock about every half second.

I have never uploaded video so would have figure that out.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
100k parts vibrating in unison
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Aug 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have crashed it many times. So far only replaced linkages and a tail motor. Oh! And submerged it twice in the aquarium. It flies normally and has done it since the first flight.

The noise is an actual tick ( tick tick tick tick ) such as the ticking of a clock about every half second.

I have never uploaded video so would have figure that out.
In the real world of helicopters this is what is called a “1-Per-Rev”. Meaning 1 vibration per revolution of the main rotor. With real helicopters everything is geared together so basing everything on the main rotor at 100% RPM tells one exactly which part is vibrating.

A 1-Per-Rev on the 120SR is usually the main gear. What has happened is there has been a crash or rotor strike when power was still applied to the main motor. (You must kill the throttle before the impact).

When the main motor is running but the rotor is not turning freely the main gear usually gets a couple of teeth bent or otherwise distorted. This can be very hard to see without High-Power Magnification and attention to detail.

In mild cases its fine to fly with this condition, but the only solution is to replace the main gear.

Randy
Helohead is offline Find More Posts by Helohead
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
Thanks Randy. It's a cheap part. I'll head over to the hobby shop.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
100k parts vibrating in unison
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Aug 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
... Oh! And submerged it twice in the aquarium. ...
You did radio the Coast Guard to look for survivors’ right?

Poor Fish…

Randy
Helohead is offline Find More Posts by Helohead