HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John View Post
It sounds as though you are an artest and as such you'll probably want to change and alter the look now and then.
When you paint it, you're done.
Applying covering and tape over the laminate alowes you make changes later on.
Sounds like an indecisive "artest".

I usually apply decorative vinyl (ebay: paperstreetplastics) over the laminate, but it seems that painting the foam and then laminating is the most durable, no fuss solution. I have a method of keeping the vinyl and stickers from peeling up, but that is a problem that you will not encounter if everything is under the laminate.

Plus, the solution for a different trim scheme is to buy another Assassin, not redecoration.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Salesman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post

I usually apply decorative vinyl (ebay: paperstreetplastics) over the laminate, but it seems that painting the foam and then laminating is the most durable, no fuss solution. I have a method of keeping the vinyl and stickers from peeling up, but that is a problem that you will not encounter if everything is under the laminate.

Plus, the solution for a different trim scheme is to buy another Assassin, not redecoration.
You work for CTH?
That's a good sales point, just buy another.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post

This program needs spell-check. Never done being graded.......
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey View Post
My vote is for: It doesn't matter on the wire pairings. As long as you alternate phase starts and ends, twisting any two adjacent wires will always mean twisting a starting wire with an ending wire. I find it highly unlikely that everyone in this thread who has rewound one of these motors has gotten lucky.

It appears that Mr. Rademacher's tutorial provided by W5BSA pulled information from building intructions for a motor from Komodo Hobby. I believe the wiring terminations are labeled as such for instructional purposes to make describing the different connections easy. I doubt it is meant to be the one and only way. Full document from Komodo Hobby below:
Umm..I've been doing it differently. I started all three phases adjacent to each other, and all three ends are adjacent to each other. I believe that's what the video said to do. It seems to be working fine for me so far. Anyone else do it this way?
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old May 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Yes, I'm doing it the same way as you.The beginning's of the phases are next to each other, and the end's of each phase are next to each other.

...and I've still just randomly picked adjacent pairs of wires to twist together at the end. Working just fine!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old May 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Got three planes on this tape but I start with my best. Just some fast and low.
My 3 Best.wmv (13 min 25 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old May 17, 2012, 08:20 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Batteries

Looks like a nice flying day, Thumper. Which glider is that?

Gents:
It seems like everytime I order from Hobbypartz, there is a problem with the order. This time, there were two. The GensAce 1300mah batts for some Assassins were puffed (3 out of 4)...with one of them having a badly puffed and bad cell. The other issue was that a Sky lipo I ordered showed in stock, but then I got a notice that it was backordered and didn't ship with my order. Frankly, I am just tired of giving my money to a company that just doesn't care (it seems).

So, I am looking for another vendor and another battery to use in my Assassins...and for recommendations to other club members.

Any recommendations? What is everyone using in their Assassins?

Old May 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Bombay, glad you shared. I had considered trying gens ace.

I only ever used zippy rhinos in the assassin 1350, but to be honest, was not real happy with the perceived drop in power. It seemed they lost some of their punch after just a couple months of use. Since my experience is limited, I wasn't sure.

I have no scientific test results, I just know they are 1.5 years old and don't have the punch fully charged that they had when they were new.

What charger are you using for those, and how often do they get discharged beyond 3.7v per cell?? I have no reason to assume abuse, but you never know just how careful some are if you don't know them personally. Its so fun to fly these things, that I have been guilty of hitting the Low Voltage Cutoff a couple times, and with some lipos, it only takes once to puff them up.!

Also, I charged for 8 months before I realized by reading on RCgroups that my accucell 6 balance charger actually has a calibration feature. So according to my cheap multi meter, (which I tried on new alkalines to get a baseline) when the charger finished showing 4.2/cell, it was actually 4.22 on average.! So some of my lack of punch could have been self-induced.

The top pic battery, I would be carefull about charging. The bottom one looks about normal to me. All three of my rhinos have been puffed a little bit. but not like the top pic.!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old May 17, 2012, 08:48 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
What charger are you using for those, and how often do they get discharged beyond 3.7v per cell?? I have no reason to assume abuse, but you never know just how careful some are if you don't know them personally.
WS20:
Those are BRAND NEW batteries, just received from Hobbypartz. They haven't been put through a charge yet... Brand new...shipped as shown. The one that is REALLY puffed has a DEAD cell. I did test that one on a meter and it only shows two cells. After tons of emails, no responses, and after filing a claim with Paypal, they finally responded and agreed to replace them. Again, they sent me defective batteries. Perhaps GensAce has quality control problems. I emailed them too.

I use a Bantam BC6. We time our flights to 7 mins. I typically try to stay above 20% capacity at the end of each flight. Sometimes it gets down to 10%, but I generally baby my batteries. I balance them on a Bantam Two-Meter like a anal-retentive maniac before each flight. Drives the other club members crazy.

The batteries in the background are the used ones. Some of them have slight puffing, but I do realize that it is normal over time and has to do with how hard they are run, cooling (epp insulates), and proper storage.

BTW - I wasn't yelling above, just trying to make it clear that my dissatisfaction with hobbypartz and the batteries is based on receiving poor service and bad/defective product. It is not based on my use or misuse of the product.
Last edited by Bombay; May 17, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
The Glider is a Radian Pro she is a majestic flier.

As far as battries I use Turnigy Nano-Tech only.
I have hit LVC on them many times and am still flying the first one I bought back a year ago 100's flights. Best Battery bar none and I fly them in 8 of my 11 planes.
3 are Micros lol. I get them from Hoby King US warehouse 9 bucks.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:16 AM
Bedford, Mass. USA
Joined Dec 2007
386 Posts
I use the Turnigy Nan-Tech's in my Assassin. With over 50 flights on each of them, they all fly like new. My older Zippy's are starting to lose some punch, but for the price they are still a great choice.
javabeans is offline Find More Posts by javabeans
Old May 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
WOW, thats some crazy stuff right there. I did not realize that they were brand new delivered like that, I assumed you flew them.! I buy receivers from them for my 9x but I don't think I have purchased anything else. I would yell too, at them of course.! Particularly for the lack of response after knowing there was a problem. What hobby supplier would ship a battery like that?? That seems to correlate with some historical references I have read on here before about hobbypartz, but since I never had an issue, 3 receiver orders, I didnt really worry about it.! Thanks for posting so that others are save the grief.!

Additionally, I used 2200 Zippy regular blue packs from HK in the Grim Reaper. Bought 6, only 2 still survive. 3 of them had white or yellow ballance wires come completely unsoldered.! 2 of those would no longer balance, or had some cell failure.(after I had to re-solder the balance leads)

I have had no issues at all with the plain Turnigy Blue 1800 3s that I purchased for my polaris. They still have better punch at full throttle than any other battery I have owned after at least 100 flights. I have herd/read really good things about short term performance of the nano-tech Turnigy packs.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old May 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
Big Jim
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Wheelspinner you need to pick up a Nano tech I have one turnigy blue to compare them and its night and day the punch you get from the nano tech. both batteries are great but the nano tech is fantastic and very noticable in performance upgrade.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Any other brand batteries being flown besides HobbyKing Zippy, Rhino, Nano and Hobbypartz GensAce?

Anyone running Sky, Blue from HobbyPartz?
How about G-Force from ValueHobby?
or any other brand?

BTW - the Nano-tech 1300mah weigh less than the GensAce batteries, so balance weight is required when swapping them (based on usage at my field).
Last edited by Bombay; May 17, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, OH, Urbana
Joined May 2010
226 Posts
That stinks about receiving bad batteries.

Our club uses the Blue Lipos and Sky Lipos from Hobby Partz. I have become the club's parts dealer and have ordered 57 batteries from Hobby Partz since April 2011: 25 Blue Lipo 1300, 12 Sky Lipo 2200, and 20 Sky Lipo 1300. All were received without issue.

The one time I did receive a defect item (strip of LEDs) from HobbyPartz, they sent a replacement within a few days without requiring me to return the defective part. That was last year though and perhaps their customer service is beginning to slip.

EDIT TO ADD: I have not flown the Sky Lipos yet. Those who have replaced their Blue Lipos with the Sky Lipos have said they like the SKY Lipos better because the seem to have more power. That comparison may just be a perception though because they are comparing new Sky Lipos to old Blue Lipos.
mdmowrey is offline Find More Posts by mdmowrey
Last edited by mdmowrey; May 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling