Apr 12, 2012, 10:57 PM
I dont know if the servos are stalling or whats going on, but when I check everything afterwards, they're working fine. At least the damage is an easy fix this time... smh
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover
I dont know if the servos are stalling or whats going on, but when I check everything afterwards, they're working fine. At least the damage is an easy fix this time... smh
This is kind of what I'm getting at man..the whole time ur planes airframe t-tail and build was fine but its ur power system causing issues all along.

What servos are you using? Are they moving beyond their mechanical end point and binding? Or simply stalling?

Have you run the system with an e-meter or equivalent to check that amp draw when moving all the servos at once?

The next is ur rx and ESC, what are they? What is the BEC rated for? How many amps are you pulling through the ESC?

I had a hunch a while ago this was ur prob all along. I think this is it.
Apr 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa
This is kind of what I'm getting at man..the whole time ur planes airframe t-tail and build was fine but its ur power system causing issues all along.

What servos are you using? Are they moving beyond their mechanical end point and binding? Or simply stalling?

Have you run the system with an e-meter or equivalent to check that amp draw when moving all the servos at once?

The next is ur rx and ESC, what are they? What is the BEC rated for? How many amps are you pulling through the ESC?

I had a hunch a while ago this was ur prob all along. I think this is it.
Im running a Turnigy SK 3536 1400kv motor with a 50A ESC and a 3S 5800mah battery I did notice on my last recorded video, that at full throttle, she was pulling about 52A. Crusising, she'd pull about 26-30A. My servos are the Hextronixs 9 gram and I have them set to move to 140% on the Futaba The RX is a Futaba R168DF 72 Mhz.
Apr 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
if you find the servos are stalling you can cut the ailerons in half and use the outer halves for ailerons, i wanted to try this after i get mine flying perfect... it should lessen the load on your servos
Apr 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
go ahead and try
I now have a pair of these birds... One I have set up with the NTM 35-36 and 50A ESC, the other I want to use for larger loads. I have installed a 4s 5300, 85A esc and a NTM 42 48 650kv. I wonder if , with the AP gear I will be over weight, any one know what the load cap is on this bird
Apr 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Im running a Turnigy SK 3536 1400kv motor with a 50A ESC and a 3S 5800mah battery I did notice on my last recorded video, that at full throttle, she was pulling about 52A. Crusising, she'd pull about 26-30A. My servos are the Hextronixs 9 gram and I have them set to move to 140% on the Futaba The RX is a Futaba R168DF 72 Mhz.
Sounds like your sending this big heavy Truck of a plane up with something like 500 bucks plus of hardware (depending on how sophisticated your setup is) and all this depending on 10 dollars worth of servos (ten dollars total!!!!) ........

I wouldn't dream of doing that ......
Apr 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14
Sounds like your sending this big heavy Truck of a plane up with something like 500 bucks plus of hardware (depending on how sophisticated your setup is) and all this depending on 10 dollars worth of servos (ten dollars total!!!!) ........

I wouldn't dream of doing that ......
You got a pretty good point lol
Apr 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
You got a pretty good point lol
Agreed, prop down to get your Amp draw @ WOT to at least 45Amps or get a 60Amp ESC or get a lower KV motor. I assume youre also running your servos & RX of this poor little struggling ESC tucked inside the fuse without airflow? Hello thermal shutdown. Consider running the radio gear off a separate BEC.

This means you can have a speedy shut down or burn up and still have control. (of a burning piece of foam)

Mine peaks at about 30Amps and I cruise at about 7.5Amps, and it's a 60Amp ESC without its BEC running! I also use a seperate BEC rated to 7.5Amps running my gear on 6volts. I even have entry and exit holes with a small air scoop to pump cool air through the electronics bay. How's that for overdoing it!

I'm playing it extra extra safe (i.e. the 50% rule instead of the 80%) with FPV and I think you need to in this game, especially if your goal is distance or longevity.

Don't fly her again until you sort the servos. Get a servo of at least double the load capacity of the HXT's and metal geared. Ailerons & elevator is where they will most likely be needed. An HXT pushing that huge aileron surface is a joke. I can't believe so many people did it. It should be the job of a standard size servo or a good metal geared mini. I love the HXT's but wouldn't use em on a 2+kg bird..lol!!

I'll probly get some guy chiming in saying he put em on his 120' Sukhoi and they flew well in the mainden. Don't turn ur plane into a timebomb.

What I'm worried about now is that you'll have some sort of catastrophic failure of the airframe after all the abuse its taken.
Last edited by wingsnapa; Apr 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 PM
how much torque kg cm servo is prefered if goes for metal gear , start from minimum torque ??????????
Last edited by RC Novice; Apr 13, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Apr 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Haha.. You're probably right. The sad part was initially I wanted to go with a 15g servo all around when I saw it, but everyone said the 9g was working fine. I may need a little coaching to get all the electronics hooked up like ur talking about. If you have some pics you can share, that'd be great. I was thinking of going to a 70a esc, not to mention my motor feels like its freezing up when I spin it by finger. Feels like it's trying to bind up now. May be from the over draw of amps??? I'm running a 10x7 prop too. I'm thinking about starting from scratch and building my own plane from the ground up.
Apr 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
So begins the twin We shall see how this goes Still got some work to do, but its looking pretty good so far
Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
and the tail is almost done. All hand crafted
Apr 14, 2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Haha.. You're probably right. The sad part was initially I wanted to go with a 15g servo all around when I saw it, but everyone said the 9g was working fine. I may need a little coaching to get all the electronics hooked up like ur talking about. If you have some pics you can share, that'd be great. I was thinking of going to a 70a esc, not to mention my motor feels like its freezing up when I spin it by finger. Feels like it's trying to bind up now. May be from the over draw of amps??? I'm running a 10x7 prop too. I'm thinking about starting from scratch and building my own plane from the ground up.
Your motor has ceased due to the crazy heat your producing, most of ur energy from the batt is being converted to heat instead of thrust. A 10x7 is obviously not what is most efficient for that motor.

New motor and servos required. If you fly with the same electrics as before, take a plastic bag with you for the pieces!
Apr 14, 2012, 02:28 AM
good craftsman ship ,wondered how did you smoothened the edges ,what tools you used ,looks like cnc ????????
Apr 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
Its DOW Residential Insulation Sheets. Bought two 4x8 foot sheets the other day after seeing someone on youtube make a plane out of it. Cut out several sheets the size you need, stack them together, draw your design on the top, cut it out using a giutar string and battery charger, spray glue them together and sand it down to what you want it to look like. Was pretty simple.

Wingsnap: have you got any reccomendations on motor, servo and ESC Size.. and the BEC's you were talking about?

Quick Reply