SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:07 PM
Joined May 2011
2,350 Posts
Considering 2 metal gear small servos, one for each wing and y connector.....I'll run some tests to see if they swing under load. My original 40" Span F-14 would not even though I had put a 114 oz.in servo in it. With the big swing pin and the short moment arm It would bind, and It was binding to the top cover also. So I had to go negative "g" and near zero airspeed to make it swing.....I want to avoid that on this one. So I am increasing the leverage moment and making a carbon fiber swing pin. After I get all this convoluted stuff in place I will post some photos.
AlfaXray1 is online now Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2011
2,350 Posts
Here are a couple of ideas for paint scheme....these 2 squadrons were on the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy when I was on there. So I reminiscing back a few years.
AlfaXray1 is online now Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:17 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,709 Posts
Decrease the STICKY with Packing tape or something slipperyer.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:00 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
Hello all,
I'm nearly finished with my build. Had to post a couple of pics.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:59 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,709 Posts
That will be a fun flier.

I see you added a top side stiffener.
NOT a bad addition :-)

must have videos ! ? :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:46 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
No videos done yet.
Still got a little more work to do on the LED's, as it will be a night flyer, and I've got to put a little bit of color on it. I'm hoping to have the maiden flight done by this weekend. I'll try and remember to do some video when I'm out there. I usually get too excited about flying and forget to pull out the camera.

The stiffener on the top is actually 1mm x 6mm carbon going all the way through the top sheet. It's the same as on the wings. It's what I had on hand. It works very well with 6mm depron though, as it's the same thickness. I guess most people use some carbon rod on the underside of the top sheet. It's basically the same result, but it shows through on top.

So far the AUW is 16oz with a 3s1000mah pack in place.
I have 3 EXI 9g digital mg servos,
a 25A turnigy plush controller
a rewound ax2210 motor. Not sure of exact kv, but it pulls about 15 to 16A at full throttle with a 7x5 prop.
I think it should go pretty well. It's not quite as light as some that have been in this thread though. There are red and white LED's in the nacelles. I'm going to add some in the nose section, and have some on top of the plane as well. It should be nicely visible in the night sky.

I'm guessing that after some trim sheets are used for color, and the LED's are all installed that it will be right about 16.5 ounces flying weight.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth