SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2006, 06:02 AM
Boat & Plane Addict
Joined Jun 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Drive Train help

I have been building and modeling for quite a few years, but am new to RC. I have successfully built a Kit Tug boat and spent a good bit of time detailing it. However I would like to try a Towboat from plans. I have several different sets of plans that I feel confident are in my skill level, but I need some good source info on speed controls, electric motors and gear boxes.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Bob Tewart is offline Find More Posts by Bob Tewart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2006, 10:24 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Go to Pat's site for info on some good economically priced ESC's. Scroll down and click on the speed control.
http://www.geocities.com/y2patmat/

Buy motors that turn less than 9000 rpm and you shouldn't need to purchase gear drives. I've never gear driven anything, well except for my crane!

For detailing ideas visit my site. If you can send me a drawing of the boat you're going to build, I may have photos of that type of towboat.
http://www.towboatjoe.com

Thow me a line if I can help you with anything.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jun 01, 2006, 04:05 PM
Boat & Plane Addict
Joined Jun 2006
6 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I have been to your website several times and enjoy it very much. I heard good things about you from some of your friends at the Toledo RC show a couple of months ago.

I will check out that other site right away, and will send you copies of my plans when I decide what I'm going to do.
Bob Tewart is offline Find More Posts by Bob Tewart