HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:43 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,021 Posts
Discussion
Postal Ales contest's

Are there any postal ales contests being held. The club I belong to is non-electric for their contests which is ok, but I would like to participate in an ales format but unfortunately they don't hold this type of contest nor is their any other local clubs that do. I've just joined the eSoaring.net winter postal series but would like to start or join one here in the colonies. Anyone...???
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:17 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,436 Posts
start one up... I am sure that I would participate in a monthly postal.

the reason I don't participate in the other., is because I am not into long duration flights...and also, because I am not into the requirement for showing my work via a log readout.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Nov 22, 2014, 01:46 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
start one up... I am sure that I would participate in a monthly postal.

the reason I don't participate in the other., is because I am not into long duration flights...and also, because I am not into the requirement for showing my work via a log readout.
By the "other", do you mean the eSoaring winter postal? If so, then 10 minutes is too long of a flight for you?

"Each flight in Open is to a 10 minute target"

http://www.esoaring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2800

You don't need a log if you have a witness/timer.

They have 8 minute rounds for 2m gliders...

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:10 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,436 Posts
actually, I forgot about that one. But that is the reason I remember that I don't want to have to use a logger. I mostly just fly alone, and I would do postals alone.

the requirement for proof is silly in my opinion.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:50 PM
scb28
Rocklin, CA
Joined Jan 2006
429 Posts
Kevin, I,ll throw my hat in the ring. I participated in a number of similar online events in years past. It was just the honor system, and it worked fine. What's to be gained by cheating, unless there's something more than bragging rights to win.

If you or anybody wants to start series, I'm in.

scb28
scb28 is offline Find More Posts by scb28
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:41 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,436 Posts
to be fair, if a competition's purpose is to further the use of logging devices, then a logging device being mandatory, is understandable.
And if that is the case, it should not be in lieu of a timer.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:01 AM
Rick Roberts
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Aug 2012
137 Posts
I'm in too for a winter ales postal...honor system only. For us in the east, the main point is just to get out flying.

Kenny - today you will have a timer. Come on out to Brattleboro!

Rick
fwroberts is offline Find More Posts by fwroberts
Old Nov 24, 2014, 06:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
My local club is 99% IC power. So, to fit in, I fly similar - but electric.
I do the UK postal comp - I am in UK.
When I am flying an ales / F5J plane I always fly to the 8 / 10 min slot.
(except when sorting trim or doing landings - Landings are a 2 min slot)

If it was an honour system, I would still send in a log.
If I put up 3 (almost) perfect scores, then I could picture the - "Yea right" reacton.

I use a talking timer (which I have always used) and now also the timer on my Profi. I also (Profi) have a motor count down, which does the 30s climb. Both actuated by throttle lever.

Here is a flight (postal entry) from yesterday ........
esloted is offline Find More Posts by esloted
Old Nov 24, 2014, 06:35 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,436 Posts
it's not that hard to get perfect flights... What is hard, is to string 8 of them together in a contest.

no one would doubt your results
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:35 AM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
it's not that hard to get perfect flights... What is hard, is to string 8 of them together in a contest.

no one would doubt your results
"it's not that hard to get perfect flights... " I have flown every flyable day this month, and yesterday was the first time it was possible to do the task.

I log every flight and if my time was poor, I can see from the log the piece of lift that I missed or the stronger sink I remained in.

This is the beauty of the postal - You chose when to do it.

Yesterday there was a front / weather system / what you want to call it, that came through ........ See picks. (before and just after)

Near the edge of this formation usually gives better lift (it did).

If getting perfect flights is that easy for you - you must be on a different continent from me !
esloted is offline Find More Posts by esloted
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:51 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,568 Posts
You're not that far from one of the more active ALES clubs in the country, SVSS. We fly south of Davis and have a very active ALES program. We draw participants from Chico to Modesto for our monthly ALES events. You can check us out at SVSS.org.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,436 Posts
if you fly enough, perfect flights become more common... As do low level climb outs from below 10 feet.

that said, it all depends on the conditions of the day... Some days, two minute flights are impossible.

since we can choose our days, as long as you keep going for it (making sure the last 3 flights are the ones that are perfect, or very close to perfect), it is doable.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:39 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,655 Posts
Quote:

since we can choose our days, as long as you keep going for it (making sure the last 3 flights are the ones that are perfect, or very close to perfect), it is doable.
That isn't quite how the eSoaring postals work. According to the rules, you have to decide when the official flights start before launching the first flight. You are only allowed one try per month, and the three flights must be made consecutively.

I can't help you with your aversion to logging. I always fly with a logger, and find it the easiest way to time my flights when I'm flying by myself. Most altitude cut-offs except the CAM have a built-in logger, and I find it interesting to have the logs in any case.

Being able to pick the best day in a month made getting three 10 minute flights from 175m fairly easy last winter, even at near 50 degrees north. It is a bit unfair against people that can only fly weekends, or like the Scots, flew the task on a set day each month. Of course living in the southern US would be a major advantage over British or Canadian weather as well. Fabflight flew the UK postal series up to his a$$ in snow and negative C temperatures from Montreal last winter! That is challenging. He did quite well.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:53 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,436 Posts
the Australian postal that I flew in, allowed the last 3 flights of the month, and I agree that if you have to pick your first flight, it's much more difficult.