Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:43 AM
If it flies, I probably have 1
United Kingdom, Fauldhouse
Joined Mar 2014
1,626 Posts
Question
Good Foamie aerobatic introduction plane

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice,
im a beginner / intermediate pilot and currently fly a range of foamie planes, mostly from hobbyking, my current favorite being the HK Walrus 1.4m power glider, which is surprisingly aerobatic, i have been doing loops and rolls with her, and i am hooked, so now i want to get a proper aerobatic plane, and would love some suggestions from anyone,
things to bear in mind for what i am looking for:

* its almost always windy here (think 15mph minimum) and often very gusty (25mph gusts not uncommon)
* It has to be easy to transport - either removable wings or 1400mm sort of size that i can fit in the car with seats folded
* Must be able to get spares easily - if (when) i make mistakes and crash, i want to be able to get replacement parts with the minimum of fuss, not have to buy a whole new plane

some planes that i am looking at:

HobbyKing Durafly Hyper-Bipe - that looks really cool, and i love the colour, my biggest concern is it is tiny (900mm) anyone who has one, how do they handle the kinds of winds and gusts we have?

FMS Extra 300 - That plane is gorgeous, but it is 3x as expensive as the hyperbipe, but it does run on 4s and has a massive 13" 3 bladed prop, should be better in our gusty winds?

Parkzone Sukhoi 29mm - its a horizon product , so plenty spares and quick delivery, but again it is only about 1100mm wingspan, is this too small?

would love feedback, thanks all
Scottish_steve75 is offline Find More Posts by Scottish_steve75
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:34 PM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Feb 2013
78 Posts
The sukohi is nice but is quite expensive, It also has a EPO foam construction which on a crash can be hard to repair (or at least repair and still look nice). Really none of the planes you have on your list I would recommend, they all have problems. Things like quality control is an issue on the hyper bipe and price/size is an issue on the fms for a first 3d/sport plane. personally I would go with one of the SkyWing planes. Their edge 540 Is nice so is there slick. They are made of epo/balsa-ply construction and is VERY strong and if damaged repairs easily and visually well. on top of that they are around $100 USD for the frame, all the electronics are easily available and replaceable as-well.

Hope this helps,
-Ben
Slick: http://www.wattaplane.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=202
Edge 540: http://usa.wattaplane.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=187
benskoning is offline Find More Posts by benskoning
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benskoning View Post
The sukohi is nice but is quite expensive, It also has a EPO foam construction which on a crash can be hard to repair (or at least repair and still look nice). Really none of the planes you have on your list I would recommend, they all have problems. Things like quality control is an issue on the hyper bipe and price/size is an issue on the fms for a first 3d/sport plane. personally I would go with one of the SkyWing planes. Their edge 540 Is nice so is there slick. They are made of epo/balsa-ply construction and is VERY strong and if damaged repairs easily and visually well. on top of that they are around $100 USD for the frame, all the electronics are easily available and replaceable as-well.

Hope this helps,
-Ben
Slick: http://www.wattaplane.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=202
Edge 540: http://usa.wattaplane.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=187
Thanks for the info

Yeah hobbyking also does that same Edge 540 in the Balsa / Ply with EPP covering
but on one of the other threads it was said that they are extremely fragile and wings break easily? kind of really put me off buying that style

if i was going Balsa, Hobbyking also does a nice Slick 360 with a 1300mm wingspan, fully built up balsa, running on 4s setup

i was more sticking to the Foamies as they can take a crash or 2 before needing major repairs, whereas i believe Balsa is not crash resistant, espessially if you mess up a landing
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:50 PM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
Joined Feb 2013
78 Posts
But it really is not like a balsa plane, the epo skin works surprisingly well, I would recommend getting one from wattaplane.com (not sponsored by them) they have fantastic service and relatively good shipping. Check out their thread for more info.

Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2176487
Pic of construction (not mine): http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...930_104037.jpg
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1,626 Posts
Quote:
But it really is not like a balsa plane, the epo skin works surprisingly well, I would recommend getting one from wattaplane.com (not sponsored by them) they have fantastic service and relatively good shipping. Check out their thread for more info.

Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2176487
Pic of construction (not mine): http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...930_104037.jpg
Thanks, yeah i had a look. and it looks nice, just 2 problems, its in USA im in UK so shipping would be too expensive and also its under 1m wingspan, the winds we get would just batter it about the sky
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:53 PM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
Joined Feb 2013
78 Posts
happy to help, I guess if you are in the UK then this wont work. Good luck on finding the right plane.

-Ben
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:12 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_steve75 View Post
Thanks for the info

Yeah hobbyking also does that same Edge 540 in the Balsa / Ply with EPP covering
but on one of the other threads it was said that they are extremely fragile and wings break easily? kind of really put me off buying that style

if i was going Balsa, Hobbyking also does a nice Slick 360 with a 1300mm wingspan, fully built up balsa, running on 4s setup

i was more sticking to the Foamies as they can take a crash or 2 before needing major repairs, whereas i believe Balsa is not crash resistant, espessially if you mess up a landing
First of all, there is no balsa in the Skywing planes. They are made of light ply with cf reinforcement and covered in EPP for the fuse. The wing is an EPO core with a combo cf/ply spar covered in an EPP skin. They are definitely not fragile, while not as durable as a pure EPP/cf type plane they are much more durable than a balsa plane. The 48" Slick is one of the best windy day planes I've ever seen and I've had a lot of good ones. I'm just guessing at your skill level according to your description, and would not recommend the 48" size but would suggest the 38" size. They are mostly EPP and cf reinforced and don't use as much ply making them very durable and you can order direct from BestValueRC in China, they also offer great service and some parts support. Just check out the threads here on RCG for all the info you need to make a decision.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
Their edge 540 Is nice so is there slick. They are made of epo/balsa-ply construction and is VERY strong and if damaged repairs easily and visually well. on top of that they are around $100 USD for the frame, all the electronics are easily available and replaceable as-well.
hanghearts is offline Find More Posts by hanghearts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
First of all, there is no balsa in the Skywing planes. They are made of light ply with cf reinforcement and covered in EPP for the fuse. The wing is an EPO core with a combo cf/ply spar covered in an EPP skin. They are definitely not fragile, while not as durable as a pure EPP/cf type plane they are much more durable than a balsa plane. The 48" Slick is one of the best windy day planes I've ever seen and I've had a lot of good ones. I'm just guessing at your skill level according to your description, and would not recommend the 48" size but would suggest the 38" size. They are mostly EPP and cf reinforced and don't use as much ply making them very durable and you can order direct from BestValueRC in China, they also offer great service and some parts support. Just check out the threads here on RCG for all the info you need to make a decision.
Thanks for your help there,
but 38" is just far too small, it must be at least 1200mm to 1400mm wingspan to stand any chance here in Scotland the 38" or 1000mm size simply can not take our gusty winds
my experience is not vast, so a larger plane is essential
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:54 AM
⊂(^(工)^)⊃
Joined Feb 2013
78 Posts
they do make them in 48" versions..
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1,626 Posts
Quote:
they do make them in 48" versions..
Thanks, but ideally i am looking for something local with spares support - say FMS, Eflite, Parkzone, Hangar9 etc
or something from Hobbyking