SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2014, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Poll
Which Phantom 2 should I buy?

Hello there, everyone!

As you can see I'm new here and I need an opinion from you guys.

I have the option to buy a Phantom 2 Vision Plus vs a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and a GoPro Hero 3 Black+. I'm not decided what to get, price is the same here in Romania for me so that is not a factor.

Downside is I don't have FPV with the GoPro, upside is the image quality is better.(I know I can add FPV later, though that's another investment).

If you could have either for the same price, which would YOU buy?
Vortex66 is offline Find More Posts by Vortex66
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2014, 04:17 AM
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
nobody?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 04:31 AM
Joined Apr 2014
23 Posts
if i were you, i probably will buy the Phantom 2 Vision+, because is a complete rtf solution, you dont need mod/add anything and you are able to fly, do fpv, etc, so is good for beginners.

BUT, if you are not lazy and you have the money for later add the fpv electronic to the gopro version, in my opinion you should take this one, because the quality of gopro is better than the default vision+ included camera and also you can use the gopro for other projects.

but this is my newbie opinion, you should see what other more experienced people will say ^^
haxlife is offline Find More Posts by haxlife
Old Apr 26, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Thanks for your input!

More opinions are welcome guys
Old Apr 26, 2014, 06:34 AM
Ars longa, vita brevis
Joined Jan 2014
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex66 View Post
Thanks for your input!

More opinions are welcome guys
Which one? Right at the moment, neither. I'd be inclined to wait a couple months. The P2 Vision+ and the P2 H3-3D are both relatively new releases, and as always seem to occur with DJI stuff, a certain amount of the beta testing gets done by the early adopters. The Vision+ thread currently has complaints about the camera and the range. The P2 H3-3D thread currently has complaints about consistency of gimbal fit (whether it touches the battery compartment or not, and what needs to be done to correct it), and gimbal to GoPro noise/interference. There has already been a version upgrade, despite its only being out a few weeks, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were another within a few more weeks time.

So, if you're willing to wait a little while, I'm sure things will get ironed out, and then either will be a good choice. The difference will still be shorter range on the Vision+, but greater ground control of the camera vs the P2 H3-3D. But with the GoPro you've got a decent camera that you can remove from the Phantom and use elsewhere, should you want to.

The only other fly in the ointment is the question of when GoPro is going to come out with the Hero 4. There's been a lot of speculation, but who knows for sure.
ursa is offline Find More Posts by ursa
Old Apr 26, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Well that's what warranty is for. Doesn't worry me since both will be bought from an official DJI representative.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 07:14 AM
Ars longa, vita brevis
Joined Jan 2014
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex66 View Post
Well that's what warranty is for. Doesn't worry me since both will be bought from an official DJI representative.
I'm guessing you haven't been reading much in the various Phantom/H3 threads. Either that, or they do things differently in Romania than they do elsewhere. If you're counting on the warranty to save you, should you have a problem, all I can say is "good luck with that". It may be honored, it may not. If it is, it may take a LONG time to get a replacement, it may not. As the saying goes: "you pays your money and you takes your chances". Either way, best wishes on your quest.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:01 AM
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Well I'll choose to be positive then and get a proper unit, if not replaced, I heard good things about this dji supplier.

Think I'll go for the P2V+ after all, just waiting for stock next week
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:06 AM
United States, FL, Ponte Vedra
Joined Dec 2012
208 Posts
I had the same question here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post28196004
I was about to go with Phantom 2 Vision +. I don't like the remote and I watched a few "not so perfect" videos from supplied camera comparing to GP3 quality.
Would it make sense to rather purchase Phantom 2 with H3-3D Gimbal kit and add GP3 camera for perfect video and 5.8 Ghz FPV transmitter/receiver and MinimOSD?
I mean does the WiFi video link direct from the camera with phone range extender is that much better than 5.8 Ghz link other than consuming less power?
toshik1 is offline Find More Posts by toshik1
Last edited by toshik1; Apr 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:51 AM
Ars longa, vita brevis
Joined Jan 2014
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshik1 View Post
I had the same question here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post28196004
I was about to go with Phantom 2 Vision +. I don't like the remote and I watched a few "not so perfect" videos from supplied camera comparing to GP3 quality.
Would it make sense to rather purchase Phantom 2 with H3-3D Gimbal kit and add GP3 camera for perfect video and 5.8 Ghz FPV transmitter/receiver and MinimOSD?
I mean does the WiFi video link direct from the camera with phone range extender is that much better than 5.8 Ghz link other than consuming less power?
I don't have a Vision and have no plans for buying one so I can only comment to the extent that I've read what others have said--which is the same stuff that you should be reading. I do own a P2 H3-2D setup. I don't know whether I will eventually "upgrade" to the P2 H3-3D kit, but if I do it won't be for several months because I don't want to deal with the problems some of the early adopters are having.

The people you want to be hearing from are the people who have both the Vision and the P2 H3 setup, and there are several of them on the forum here. Sadly, though, they have either not yet seen your posts or haven't had the time or desire to respond. Keep trying but in the meantime, if you haven't, spend some time reading the appropriate threads, front to back. They'll eventually answer pretty much all your questions.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2013
4,059 Posts
If you're new to the hobby, the Vision + seems like a really, really tight package. You get 3-axis stabilized video in a ready-to-fly package.

You can get FPV easily with a P2 H3-3D, but it's definitely more of a DIY experience. If you love getting under the hood, working out problems and testing out solutions, then no question, go for the P2 H3-3D. If you prefer not to see or think about the guts and just get out there to fly, goto line 1.
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2014, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2014
20 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been going over the Vision+ thread and have read that the Vision+ takes better stills than the gopro, which is a good plus that kind of balances the purchase in favor of the Vision+.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 03:22 PM
United States, FL, Ponte Vedra
Joined Dec 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
If you're new to the hobby, the Vision + seems like a really, really tight package. You get 3-axis stabilized video in a ready-to-fly package.

You can get FPV easily with a P2 H3-3D, but it's definitely more of a DIY experience. If you love getting under the hood, working out problems and testing out solutions, then no question, go for the P2 H3-3D. If you prefer not to see or think about the guts and just get out there to fly, goto line 1.
Yes I already built 2 flyaway F450 Naza and GP2 based ones :-)
toshik1 is offline Find More Posts by toshik1