SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
I had my Ultra canopy pop off yesterday during an outside loop. No damage, just a hike to retrieve the wayward canopy. Turned out one of the magnets had come out of the fuselage. It was still firmly attached to the one in the canopy, but it wasn't helping hold it on anymore. Easy fix, I just glued another, stronger magnet to the fuselage and now the canopy was held on much better.

Fast forward to today. I was doing some outside snap rolls and was planning to enter an outside spin when the canopy came off again. Unfortunately this time it went into the prop before clearing the airframe. No prop damage or horizontal stab damage, so I was able to land safely. This time, all of the magnets were still in place so the canopy just came off due to the negative G's.

I've attached some pictures of the carnage including a shot of a sliver of the canopy firmly imbedded in the fuselage. It almost looked like a razor blade stuck in the fuselage.

I guess I'm wondering if Model Aero will be stocking replacement parts for the Ultra because it looks like I need to order a new canopy.

McD
PM sent McD.

We will offer spare parts on an as needed basis. They will not be listed on the web site. Basically all the spares will come out of full kits, which is why replacements parts for ARF's can be so expensive! I hope that it's not the same part every time that needs replaced, that's for sure.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:22 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
canopy fit

What I did to get a good canopy fit is simply lay down a piece of wax paper on fuse with a slot cut in it for the front canopy lip. I trimed [folded] the wax paper to the bottom of fuse then rc 56 on canopy and taped it down with tape only sticking to bottom of fuse. Turns out perfect. Will also add a rubber band safety strap to it based on McD report. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
That approach should work fine and it's under the nacelle, so won't show.

But I can assure you that the elevator installation works exactly as shown in the Guide, though I have to admit that the plywood is a bit fragile. Suggestion to anyone who hasn't done it yet: Reinforce the thin frame of the plywood with some strands of CF or a bit of lightweight glass cloth. Once it's hot glued to the servo everything is solid. (I broke one of mine too and tried CA. It wasn't strong enough.)

The pushrod goes in following the existing slot. I opened up the hole slightly with a rat tail file. Then you insert the servo on its mount and line up the pushrod. It takes a bit of patience to get everything aligned and to Dremel out the necessary space for the arm to rotate, so there's a lot of taking out and putting back. It took me under an hour in total to get everything adjusted to my satisfaction, glued in place and working smoothly.

Adjusting the pushrod is easy as long as you have a suitable 1.5mm Allen wrench.

Hint: I didn't do enough carving out of foam to make room for the motor wire connectors. It all worked OK in the end but would have been easier if I had made more room for them ahead of the servo compartment (see first picture). In the second picture you can just see something of the extra space created with a Dremel to allow the arm to move freely. Note that the servo mount is up against the plywood spine of the Polaris at the rear. I added hot melt glue to the joint.

So take your choice. The "official" way works fine and makes for a very neat job, but the approach Kingsflyer took should be easier.
You can simply move the control horn to the top side of elevator,then remove the foam portusion on the bottom and hot glue the servo upright to bottom of nacelle. Then remove some foam from hatch cover for connector to move freely, line up pushrod and poke it through the foam. Remove rod and add sheath and reinsert. Now everything is upright , neat, and accessible. I'm of the opion that it should be designed this way. Also found my rudder channel blocked and pushed and twisted a long time with no luck. Finally had to settle for the best fit I could get but no way could I get the sheath past the frame joint. Suggestion would be have manufacturer put the pushrod sheaths in the mold. Glue is now setting on wing panels and I hope to fly her tomorrow. donnie
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
Up,up

and away. Flew 5,very enjoyable 8min. flights. 4 Using 3s 3300ma packs and 1 using a 2100ma 4s pack. I think I will do most all of my flying using 3s packs. Found the 4s to be a bit faster but plane performed same otherwise. Mine has near unlimited vertical using the big 3s packs. Using a tornado 8x6 3 blade mine draws 38 amps static using a 4s. Find this model executes much more precice,smother areobatic manuvers with the airfoil wing vs. flat foam. Way fun.. All my flying yesterday was off grass but today we are going to the pond.Also plan on flying the Aqua-Jet there today as well. Nice model Scott has provided us and other then the fore-mentioned pushrod problems and stab alignment the ARF assembly is straight foreward and quick. Am sure everyone will enjoy the flight characteristics this model provides. Enjoy. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddguy6 View Post
Thanks to your heads up on this gatorb8 I dry-fitted my horizontal stab and saw the same thing. Was able to shim under the left side to get it pretty level while the epoxy cured.
They all must be delivered this way cause mine was the same. Sanded near 3/16" off right side to align it. Hopefully Scott will take note of this and have the molds modified. donnie
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, TN, Arlington
Joined Jan 2005
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
They all must be delivered this way cause mine was the same. Sanded near 3/16" off right side to align it. Hopefully Scott will take note of this and have the molds modified. donnie
Mine fit perfectly, no sanding required.
gbman is offline Find More Posts by gbman
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:22 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
It's possible some of the vertical fins setup with a slight tilt to the left during manufacture, when viewed from the rear. You really notice it when the wings panels are plugged in. It's an easy fix but one you must it catch before you epoxy the horizontal stab on.
Caddguy6 is online now Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Last edited by Caddguy6; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: content correction
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:22 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,745 Posts
We are going to be assembling and flying a Polaris Ultra very soon but are currently working on an Aqua Cat.

I know this is the Polaris thread BUT since someone mentioned the Aqua Cat again... We had ours out for maiden flights yesterday. It is a boat load of fun, especially with a little head wind added in!

Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best in the West 2014
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Menksters, I'm glad you are enjoying your Ultra, and I'm happy to hear the 3300 3S battery worked so well. I thought it may be too heavy.

I built another Ultra Friday and the stab fit nice and square. The variance is occurring when they join the fuselage halves and not a tooling issue. I'll let RC Lander know about it.

Regarding the rudder push rod, I have been pre-installing them on all kits since approximately 1/6.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:00 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
We are going to be assembling and flying a Polaris Ultra very soon but are currently working on an Aqua Cat.

I know this is the Polaris thread BUT since someone mentioned the Aqua Cat again... We had ours out for maiden flights yesterday. It is a boat load of fun, especially with a little head wind added in!
Nice photo Bajora! I think you'll have some fun with your Ultra!

Scott
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:02 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,751 Posts
Finally got a good weather window for the maiden on water of the Salty Ultra! This plane is very smooth and graceful!

Polaris Ultra Maiden on Water (4 min 48 sec)
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:41 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Finally got a good weather window for the maiden on water of the Salty Ultra! This plane is very smooth and graceful!

https://vimeo.com/57795990
Wow great video gatorb8!!! Lord, take me to Gulf Breeze, FL!!!

Looks like you do some fishing down there too. Fly in the morning, fish in the afternoon!

Thanks for posting the video.

Scott
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:24 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post

https://vimeo.com/57795990
Very nice indeed.

I am envious, as it's probably 2-3 months till our pond has liquid water.

I saw similar results from 4s with mine -- full vertical performance. But very enjoyable on 3s
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Very nice indeed.

I am envious, as it's probably 2-3 months till our pond has liquid water.

I saw similar results from 4s with mine -- full vertical performance. But very enjoyable on 3s
I agree, 3S flys just fine. I figure since I stuffed it to run on 4S, I can always cruise around not using all the power, and a 2200mah 4S is roughly equivalent to 3000 mah 3S in flight times. So I get long flight times in cruise mode on 4S 2200 mah and PUNCH when /if I want it!

and, I have a bunch of 2200 and 1800 mah 4S with no home!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:50 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
Gonna be a long wait for maiden

Well just finished up assembly of the Ultra, an enjoyable build. After fighting with my big fingers I opted to mount the Elev. servo on the outside of the pod, makes for easier adjustment in the field. Added a black anti-glare panel and nose tip in front of the canopy.
Of course it's snowing here and the rest of the week will be in the low to mid 20's with high winds. So she'll be safe and warm for quite a bit longer.
Look like it'll be spring for the maiden.
Caddguy6 is online now Find More Posts by Caddguy6