SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Three sets of wheels for the main gear are too soft so had to order custom made set with very hard tyres. I decided to stick with trusted old 36 meg for this model with antena well clear of any interference. Few more cheater holes made up with aded fin to the nose, still fiddling with CofG ballance which is my main concern prior to my maiden most likely in the NY, God bless you all at X/mass, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
The first out thing today for my "Magenta", thrust, range check and some taxi runs along our rugged strip. All with positive results but the nose wheel, must be replaced for something harder, the tyre fell in pieces after few acceleration runs. I can smell she will be a goer, J.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
During my recent range check I didn't use my "gongcoolator" but after checking my full power RPM it was reaching only 159K, so back to the field to re-calibrate it to full maximum 163K. I believe that that the last 3-5K can ad almost one kilogram of extra thrust, coming handy with 10+kg AUW model, J.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
My morning started pretty badly, when ready to start my turbine for maiden flight my Transmitter battery was totally dead! Accidentally left it switched on in my TX box overnight after reseting timer. How would you feel? ading extra stress! After making up open wire charging jack I recharged batt. to safe capacity and took off in perfect flying conditions being ready any sort of drama but after rotation everything went to plan. AIL.set at 75% was much too responsive so 2nd flight after recharging TX was reduced to 60% but might need only 40-50%. Minor reseting to my El. controls and few more flights to decide which nose probe ballast is required.
"These sort of Delta designs must be considerably nose heavy on full fuel tank needing lot of EL. at early stage of flight, because coming home on low tank can become a real problem of being too tail heavy as the fuel is pushed back in slight high AOA."
Another success story, happy Joe.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Nice. Did you make a flight video ?
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast View Post
Nice. Did you make a flight video ?
Sorry no vid. this time, went up north for few days so movie director John didn't come with me and after all the drama with my flat TX batt. the last thing on my mind was my cap cam which I brought along to film it. Next time, Joe.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Taking off in perfect condition and 5 min. later ready to land the wind picked up blowing 90deg. across the strip. Got caught many times in this scenario and it can be quite a challenge to bring down large Elevon control Delta with no Rudder. This happened to me last week on 2nd flight with my new "Magenta" so I came up with this new Rudder design to fit in. Not to do KE but expecting it will help in similar situations, Joe.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:02 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
From my new concept to reality, ready to go to test it, J
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:04 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,498 Posts
So cool!! Whatever came of Touch of Magenta, Joe?!
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:37 PM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2011
225 Posts
Very nice work!
superjon is offline Find More Posts by superjon
Old May 01, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Last weekend at the field ready for another mission had little problem starting, no ignition. After more testing back at home I thought I blew up my "TEMS" unit while using 2S lipo after my nicad went down in voltage during numerous attemps to start.
Luckilly, all is fine with the control unit but after check of some lines I found partially blocked gas line inside front cover. I had similar blockage with my fuel line at one stage as the sharp bend of 4mm line exiting the nipple can after while become disformed in this very confined/hot area. " It is good idea to keep check on these ! ".
Later today I'm doing more testing if it solves the issue, otherwise it might be gas solenoid valve. Stay tuned for next flight report, J.
Old May 02, 2013, 03:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Problem solved, started as a pussycat the first attemp after replacement of short tubing. Bit 'piiied' off after all the hassle I had due to such a simple problem. I notified manufacturer, hope they will re-design it, Joe.
Old May 03, 2013, 03:04 AM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,498 Posts
I'm curious how your bottom mounted mini rudders work!
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old May 04, 2013, 03:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Bad start of the day this morn, almost no flying today, after I stripped thread on my nose gear axis control arm during retightening it, but after 3rd start I managed to take off, only its 3rd flight, maiden with my new "Bounty rudders", they work great, helped in turns. I was hoping to get a video today but after all the hassles with the steering I gave up on it! Next time for sure, after I redesigned it. Flies great, tho not very fast, its little too big for PST600R engine and slight overweight, but still very enjoyable to fly in nice scale manner, Joe.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 04:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Closed, J.
Closed Thread