SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Concord
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
Discussion
Wide turning circle?

Just had my first run of a 30" Crackerbox I built., took some old plans and scaled them up 150% as I wanted a larger size. I'm running a Traxxas 550 12 turn motor and speed control out of my old 1/10 Slash truck, and as I'm not racing using a surface prop out the back rather than under the hull.

Speed was OK but the turning circle is much wider than I'd like. I think the rudder is undersized as its really more for a 1/10 scale boat, it currently extends about 2" below the hull and is about 1" wide My question is shoudl I extend the rudder deeper into the water, use a wider (bigger) one, or both?

I won't be racing, this was just built for fun on the pond and I always think bigger looks better
DougH is offline Find More Posts by DougH
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:41 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
The rudder could be too small but first, a couple of things. Any turn fins and/or a skeg under the boat? Got enough throw on the servo?
With the almost flat bottom of the hull, a skeg mounted as the CG would help a lot to keep it from sliding in the turns.
Going with a surface drive isn't helping matters as these are designed to be run with sub-surface drives. The stuffing tube also works to control the boat as it is something hanging down there to aid in handling plus to help control the sliding.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, Concord
Joined Apr 2003
14 Posts
There is a skeg, no turn fins . I'd say a fair amount of throw on the rudder
DougH is offline Find More Posts by DougH
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:24 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
The next step would be to try a turn fin then.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson