HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:58 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
@RaymondM, they are Walkera connectors... I think these connectors are becoming industry standard on these tiny quads... and even on micro helis like the Helios 100!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Aug 02, 2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: (double post)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:05 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post
Yeah, it looks like something you'd get with an RC car.

The 0-100 adjustment knob looks interesting depending on how it actually works. I just have an aversion to giving Walkera any more of my money when everything I've ever owned from them has required repair after no more than two mild crashes. Haven't had a Ladybird though.
The 0-100 adjustment knob is just a throttle limiter...absolutely useless function if you ask me. My old 4 channel Walkera TX featured something like that....to this day I have not been able to figure out when or why I would need to use it.

Walkera's Ladybird actually is quite different if you compare it to most of their other products...it's quite tough (partly due to it's weight) and I haven't had any problems with it (mine was purchased when it first came out and flown daily)
you can really feel the difference in the software...I'll say that the V929 comes close but still, the Ladybird is the best of all the micro quads I've flown so far.
(I have the Mini CP landing gear on mine and I can do months of aggressive flying without damaging a single part.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:15 PM
USA, So.Cal.
Joined Jan 2009
407 Posts
Thanks James. Good to know. With wowhobbies and xheli both less than an hour's drive from me, Walkera stuff has always been convenient to buy. I just didn't like the constant parts purchases due to poor design and/or weakness. When they're up and flying, they're great though.
MikeSRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeSRC
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:22 PM
Multitotor Pilot/Web Designer
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
@RaymondM, they are Walkera connectors... I think these connectors are becoming industry standard on these tiny quads... and even on micro helis like the Helios 100!
Thanks James now I know what to buy as far as batteries go, I plan on getting a V1 or a V2 but was also looking at the mini pet. Do you have a personal favorite as far as these three quads are concerned that will help me decide which one?
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
One thing I noticed today: Having more than one quad improves your skill with all of them. For instance, having played with the U816 today, which took a while to get to hover, when I got out the v929 to do a comparison of the 3 v 6 axis behaviour, I found it hovered like it was nailed into the sky and was even easier to control than before. It was rock solid and went exactly where I wanted it. Having to try harder with the U816 obviously encouraged my brain to get those neurons connecting again and I learnt some new skills that transferred over to the v929. And then when I went back to the U816, it felt easier to steer too.

Slightly off topic, but.... you'll see..This reminds me of when a friend and I got ourselves a pair of unicycles. We had no idea of the seat height. Was it as high as you could go, or did you need your knees really bent? No idea. So we set it at a random height, practiced for a bit, and we got better, but sort of hit a wall. So we changed the height and suddenly started improving again. Then repeated this several times. When we'd finished we could have the seat height anywhere we liked and legs bendy or straight and still be in full control.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:28 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post
Thanks James. Good to know. With wowhobbies and xheli both less than an hour's drive from me, Walkera stuff has always been convenient to buy. I just didn't like the constant parts purchases due to poor design and/or weakness. When they're up and flying, they're great though.
I totally understand what you are getting at. My V200D01's spent more time getting fixed than getting flown so I'm still skeptical when it comes to buying their new products..but my recent ones have been ok (the MCP then the QR Ladybird).
Will be reviewing the HotenX in a few days...hope it's as good as their other new products or else swapping out the proprietary motors and arms every time I crash would be a

@RaymondM, Well I have the V1 and it will not let you down. I suggest doing the Mini CP landing gear mod though because it'll protect your motors (and you can fit a larger battery for more flight time + offset the added weight). The V2 I haven't tried yet but I have one on order. The mini pet I'm getting from Aaron at Banggood this week so hopefully I'll have time to write a review or give first impressions at least. Other than the cost of the V1 though I'll recommend it in a heartbeat. I'm not sure how the V2 would fly as there are quite a few functions that are removed for cost saving purposes...so I'd wait for a review on that one if you don't suffer from Imustbuyitnowitis (like I do :P)

@Brandigan, I couldn't agree more... was pretty frustrated at flying the quad as it was completely different in terms of flying characteristics and orientation...but after a while you get used to it and try new, more daring things with it. I've hit a cap though and haven't figured out anything new to do with my quads in a while...hmm...If I could only find the 808 camera here I'd mount it on my V929 or the HotenX that's arriving..but I can't seem to find it anywhere (you'd think they'd sell the thing in China, the country where everything is made...right?)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Aug 02, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
USA, So.Cal.
Joined Jan 2009
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Slightly off topic, but.... you'll see..This reminds me of when a friend and I got ourselves a pair of unicycles. We had no idea of the seat height. Was it as high as you could go, or did you need your knees really bent? No idea. So we set it at a random height, practiced for a bit, and we got better, but sort of hit a wall. So we changed the height and suddenly started improving again. Then repeated this several times. When we'd finished we could have the seat height anywhere we liked and legs bendy or straight and still be in full control.
Good stuff! Sounds like we need to see a video of you flying a quad while riding a unicycle.
MikeSRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeSRC
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
<deleted>
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 02, 2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Waaaay off topic. :D
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
Belgium
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
Now try again tomorrow, when you sleep the neuro-connections are solidified, so you should be a better pilot after a good nights' sleep
cgpirre is offline Find More Posts by cgpirre
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
That is what I've been saying, they are different. Unless you have a LB, you can't really make a comparison to these smaller ones. You can make a comparison but it doesn't compare to what it is cloned of.

To reply to your question, at this point from what has been said, I'd opt for the LB version 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
I guess I didn't convey just how different the "Ladybird class" is from the "MQX/V929 class" qauds... although I tried!

I have a "mini pet" on order from BG, I'm trying to switch that to the MJX 100 .... or should I even bother playing with a "clone" ?
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:29 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
I found the same with my Ladybird, with my noob skills I could only progress so far at first, and got kind of frustrated with it's difficulty. I could only do wicked front to back side to side see-saws, and Pogos with my Ladybird... and was getting bored with only being able to do that, so when I "discovered" that I could do a box pattern in my room with the Ladybird, and successfully tried that flight style at the Park... I was tickled pink!! and finally having Fun! Only now after flying it for a couple of months on and off, am I able to fly it nose-forward with any sort of ability.
I guess I didn't convey just how different the "Ladybird class" is from the "MQX/V929 class" qauds... although I tried!
Are you and Brandigan experiencing the sameish learning curve with the LB clones?

I have a "mini pet" on order from BG, I'm trying to switch that to the MJX 100 .... or should I even bother playing with a "clone" ?
Alright, after reading your post a few minutes before leaving work and letting it sink in a bit. I figured I'd finally put this to rest. I'll give the U816 more of a chance and continue to try to develop this skill that is so different to the bigger quads. Maybe even straighten out this learning curve.

As soon as I got home, I popped in a battery and with in five minutes...I was done. It's not fun to fly....period.

I just refuse to believe it's because of the body/size so I finally made up my mind to install the V929 board NOW rather than wait for the replacement board and second V929.

I'm sorry to tell you.....If the V939 flies anything like this, I'm gonna have to get it despite me saying that I would not invest into another clone quad.

This is how it's supposed to fly!

Behold!, The U929

Unfortunately, the mount I had to devise has raised the height, so now the canopy doesn't fit. Oh well, I'll make something for it or just remove the jst connectors and direct solder the wire.

The V929 board must have more output power. When I started her up, 2 of the blades zipped up and off the motor shaft, lol!

The board does weigh a bit more, but now that I'm confident that this V929 board will remain on this U816 body, I'll swap battery connectors so that I can use the U816 battery.

Flight response and controls are much improved. I flew the life of the v929 battery with only one crash, and that was to test the 60% setting (I can control the v929 in my living room at 60%, but it's too fast indoors for this mod.) Piro's are blinding for this little quad. At 20%, pirouettes are exactly as the U816 board settings, but at 40% and 60%...it's insane.

Kind of wish I made a video of the before and afters...but honestly, I don't think a video would do it any justice.

Anyway, I figure I'll use the U816 board for an R/C 1/48 or 1/35 scale battle tank. Four motor outputs will come in handy for that.
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Last edited by dedmonwakin; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:06 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,247 Posts
Seems rather tragic you have to use another manufacturer's board to get it to fly properly, we see more and more of these kind of design deficiencies in lower cost models.
If the 929 board caused it to spin off two of the props, it must be delivering a slightly higher voltage to the motors than the Udi board. That being the case, don't expect to get a long service life from those motors (not that you really would anyway) but it will be less than "normal".
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:59 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,999 Posts
Hi guys ... mainly I'm a bit off topic ... but since almost all this Quad RTF are on stock on BangGood.Com ... I guess most of you are familiar with.

I order days ago the SH 6043.
In the description it state: Usually ships within one business day.

Funny enough the order history show that in 1 day they can't even start to process my order

2012-07-31 08:5x:xx Payment Confirmed
2012-07-31 09:5x:xx Ready To Process
2012-08-02 00:0x:xx Processing

My guess it is that it is already weekend time in china ... so this will not get shipped before monday ... so ... 1 week from payment to shipping, for an item on stock for me it is quite a lot

Anyhow, they have the cheapest prices, and they state they make additional QC .. probably my local custom office will add 1 week of paper work and will collect 30% of what I pay for order this quad ... so ... if all will end fine, I may order again from them ... but ... I would have expected a bit faster handling ... especially for the first order .... if people are happy on first order, they may order again

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:13 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
Alright, after reading your post a few minutes before leaving work and letting it sink in a bit. I figured I'd finally put this to rest. I'll give the U816 more of a chance and continue to try to develop this skill that is so different to the bigger quads. Maybe even straighten out this learning curve.

As soon as I got home, I popped in a battery and with in five minutes...I was done. It's not fun to fly....period.

I just refuse to believe it's because of the body/size so I finally made up my mind to install the V929 board NOW rather than wait for the replacement board and second V929.

I'm sorry to tell you.....If the V939 flies anything like this, I'm gonna have to get it despite me saying that I would not invest into another clone quad.

This is how it's supposed to fly!

Unfortunately, the mount I had to devise has raised the height, so now the canopy doesn't fit. Oh well, I'll make something for it or just remove the jst connectors and direct solder the wire.

The V929 board must have more output power. When I started her up, 2 of the blades zipped up and off the motor shaft, lol!

The board does weigh a bit more, but now that I'm confident that this V929 board will remain on this U816 body, I'll swap battery connectors so that I can use the U816 battery.

Flight response and controls are much improved. I flew the life of the v929 battery with only one crash, and that was to test the 60% setting (I can control the v929 in my living room at 60%, but it's too fast indoors for this mod.) Piro's are blinding for this little quad. At 20%, pirouettes are exactly as the U816 board settings, but at 40% and 60%...it's insane.

Kind of wish I made a video of the before and afters...but honestly, I don't think a video would do it any justice.

Anyway, I figure I'll use the U816 board for an R/C 1/48 or 1/35 scale battle tank. Four motor outputs will come in handy for that.
Cool experimenting there Dedmon, I was going to put my spare Ladybird board on my V929 if the oven re-flow didn't work after I had crash-damaged the Beetle board.... It worked! so I never did get to install it and fly it with a LB RX.

Hmm. maybe it's more the rates and TX travel adjust of the E728 TX from the V929 that's making the largest differences.
The Ladybird's piro rate was s-l-o-w until I went into the Devo10 and changed Rudd "travel adjust" from stock 100% to max 150%. Turn speed and Piros were greatly improved, but it still flew sluggish... until someone mentioned Hirates... I had left my Elev and Aile on Low rates! Doh. I now have "travel adjust" for Elev + Aile set to 115% and Rudd @150% on my TX, and the Ladybird is very responsive!
Very nice you got your Udi 816 to fly better, Eesh... now I'm concerned about the stock TX that comes with the Pet.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
...so I finally made up my mind to install the V929 board NOW rather than wait for the replacement board and second V929.

The Superglue tip I posted before will fix your loose props and we definitely need to see a video as soon as you have a canopy (either one) on it.