SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Very nice machine, Apejovic!

Do you use a picloc or similar for the gimbal? I think you can skip it when using the AQ6 gimbal control. It even works very good with cheap components.
So I'm eagerly waiting for your experiences...
Timecops Multiwii port is used for gimbal on a ff board (I will try the new rabbit fw with 3 axis control to see how it works soon). It would be nice to be able of using the aq for my gimbal stabilization but having to use 2 x aq it would make it a bit more expensive. It would be nice to have a basic/lite aq with no gps just for the gimbal stabilization.

Is it already possible to use the AQ as a standalone gimbal controller with 3 axis support?
apejovic is online now Find More Posts by apejovic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
Is it already possible to use the AQ as a standalone gimbal controller with 3 axis support?
Why waste such a precious for the gimbal only? You don't need a separate controller - just let the AQ do the job. Currently we only have the roll&pitch axis controlled...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
You really can't do three axis with a single FC/gimbal. Two reasons:

1) Servos wires would get in the way when panning the gimbal controller.
2) Unless you have accurate feedback as to what pan angle the gimbal is at and a control structure to match, the flight controller will roll and pitch the gimbal proportionally to the roll and pitch of the copter. If you pan it say 90 degs ,the controller will still roll and pitch according to the copter coordinates, so the gimbal would be compensated incorrectly. Hope that makes sense

Another reason is that many are finding that the seperate gimbal controller is beneficial when mounted on the gimbal itself. This is due to the slight difference in relative motion between the gimbal and the frame if it's on isolator. The seperate gimbal controller can theoretically respond more accurately because it "sees" what the gimbal sees.

That being said, I think that for 2-axis gimbals, a flight controller with good gimbal controls can still do the job adequately.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Another reason is that many are finding that the seperate gimbal controller is beneficial when mounted on the gimbal itself. This is due to the slight difference in relative motion between the gimbal and the frame if it's on isolator. The seperate gimbal controller can theoretically respond more accurately because it "sees" what the gimbal sees.

That being said, I think that for 2-axis gimbals, a flight controller with good gimbal controls can still do the job adequately.
In DJI setup you have to give the x,y,z location of the IMU w.r.t; copter's CG point. So in theory you can place the IMU anywhere and give the offset. I think if same sort of correction options is also given for the gimbal that will help control specially roll movements of the camera more accurately
farooq_niaZ is offline Find More Posts by farooq_niaZ
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
You really can't do three axis with a single FC/gimbal. Two reasons:

1) Servos wires would get in the way when panning the gimbal controller.
2) Unless you have accurate feedback as to what pan angle the gimbal is at and a control structure to match, the flight controller will roll and pitch the gimbal proportionally to the roll and pitch of the copter. If you pan it say 90 degs ,the controller will still roll and pitch according to the copter coordinates, so the gimbal would be compensated incorrectly. Hope that makes sense

I couldn´t explain it better. With the 360 pan problem is that the upper and lower part have to be independent, with their own BECS, batteries and electronics. That is also usefull for adjusting the gimbals electronics as having a standalone unit is very handy as you do not have to turn/hang a 1m diameter multi.

You can see how it works here (this was the fist version with the old gimbal and landing gear):

ConnOcto 1000 360 pan gimbal upgrade.mp4 (1 min 38 sec)

There´s a growing market for 3 axis camera stabilization systems. Picloc was one of them but both photohiger, cinestar and many others are selling/developing them.

As I told you before I´m sure that a lite version of the aq with the right code could be a fantastic solution for this task.

If it would be possible to link two aq´s trough the xbee link and plan missions for both it would probably be something nobody has yet done (as far as I know).

With aq´s precision added to a gimbal following a preconfigured mission this could really be a way to do perfect preconfigured shots, as many times as neccesary.

It would be similar to the orbit function but with the abbility to also program pan,pitch roll and who now maybe even zoom functions on the cameras that allow this or maybe together with a camera controlling mehtod such as camremote pro..... maybe I should stop dreaming, or is it possible to do this in the near future?
apejovic is online now Find More Posts by apejovic
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
With the 360 pan problem is that the upper and lower part have to be independent, with their own BECS, batteries and electronics.
not necessarily - slip rings will fit your need quite nicely. not sure the price though but may offset a whole additional setup

or ebay for the chinese made ones - not sure of their reliability though - $10 or so there
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:47 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
not necessarily - slip rings will fit your need quite nicely. not sure the price though but may offset a whole additional setup

or ebay for the chinese made ones - not sure of their reliability though - $10 or so there
I agree - wondering why nobody tried slide contacts so far (German: Schleifkontakte) used i.e. in the automobile industry for generations?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Dec 2006
167 Posts
A slip ring won't fix your problem. If the gimbal and copter are both pointing forwards then the gimbal stabilisation will work. As the copter pans the stabilisation for the gimbal will cease to function correctly.

If the copter pans around say 90 degrees (pan stays locked to where it was originally) and then flys forwards, the tilt tray on the gimbal will respond by tilting backwards, when in actual fact it is roll that needs to compensate. This is why there needs to be separate IMU's for gimbal and copter on 360 stabilised systems. I suppose it could work with one IMU and some very clever compass coding...but that would be a faff
AlexnderH is offline Find More Posts by AlexnderH
Last edited by AlexnderH; Sep 22, 2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:07 AM
J'ai remis la purée
Netherlands, ZH, Zoetermeer
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
I agree - wondering why nobody tried slide contacts so far (German: Schleifkontakte) used i.e. in the automobile industry for generations?
Hmm, you would need a couple of them. Serial connection (uart, i2c or isp) and I wonder how those high speed signals would act on those physical connections....
Dirt and even temp differences could interfere.

I think I would also opt for wireless communication between the FC and gimbal controller. Nice thought but most of us don't have the possibility to play with that so I guess if such an option will be build, it will be by someone that needs it, has the skills and the stuff to test ..
joebarteam is online now Find More Posts by joebarteam
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:10 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Menno, you forgot to mention that you have MAVLink telemetry and spoken messages working on the Graupner MX-20 HOTT

Mav2HoTT (4 min 25 sec)

Using the JDrones IO board for status display via LEDs

http://store.jdrones.com/jD_IOBoard_p/jdioboard10.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:29 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
Another user video with autonomous waypoint flight, auto take off & landing:

AQ mission flight test (3 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Any estimate of when the beta phase will end?
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jul 2007
76 Posts
[QUOTE=kinderkram;22809688]Another user video with autonomous waypoint flight, auto take off & landing:

Any videos of altitude hold. Just like the way the Naza was tested by physically pulling it down by hand. Just be carefull when u do it. But would like to see it.
roxyboby is offline Find More Posts by roxyboby
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
149 Posts
I am under XP with Fire Fox and can you say to me with which free soft are you using to download video from Vimeo ?
Thanks a lot
pepere is offline Find More Posts by pepere
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyboby View Post

Any videos of altitude hold. Just like the way the Naza was tested by physically pulling it down by hand. Just be carefull when u do it. But would like to see it.
Here's one from nearly 2 years and many revisions ago.

aqv5_mission_test-hd.mov (3 min 12 sec)
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster