HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,455 Posts
FFdshow is a codec package that might help some folks. Works for me. It's not possible to create a tutorial here for all the various editing software types, IMO. I personally think you get what you pay for - the free software can use up a lot of flying time!!! I do use Vdub and Avidemux, but only for clips. I prefer Ulead for final video assembly, but to each his own

Maybe there are links to video editing forums that might help??
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:48 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
I too, downloaded AVI demux, and was able to play around with it a little.. I could apply filters and play what I think was the filtered video in the softwares display, but I could not for the life of me, figure out how to render it to a saved file to either post online or save it on the H.D. ?? Any help here would be appreciated. And how do you split clip and remove unwanted raw segments?

Thanks

Pat.
To clip, mark in/out points with "A" and "B" markers, just like Vdub's "arrow icon" markers. Once region is bracketed, select "delete" from key board or menu.

To render to a saved file, select "Save/save video" from the file menu!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:55 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Maybe the AviScripts and Avi Demux should have a link in post #4 Tom? At the rate this thread is going it's going to take over the Mega thread handle real quick and it is already starting to have some things repeated quite often.

Maybe some links would help a few of the guys out a little.

Just my two cents worth,

Yabba
I plan to do that when I have time to compile some guides. Maybe I can find a user guide for AVIdemux as a minimum.

I'm finding a number of new thread posters don't seem to start at the beginning where I reserved those pages anyway, so it may not solve anything.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:57 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks very much.... sorry I know this is not the editing thread.

Where would I post these questions.?

Thanks for the delete, did not stumble across that yet. I successfully saved a video file, but, I cant find the matching toggles in the 3 drop downs that will let me successfully change the contrast and sharpness, AND lay down a mp3 file for the sound. Copy, copy, and AVI works, but, it wont allow any image filters. If there is another thread for this let me know.

P.
Also, These are saved as generic files that I have to assign a program to open them with, so will youtube and vimeo still play them on upload??
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:08 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,455 Posts
Quote:

My comment above was not pointing at your questions which are perfectly legitimate, but only the magnitude of the problem to support all the software possibilities in one thread.

Here's a decent tutorial for Avidemux, that forum is good for video in general

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2...y-video-format

Good luck!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the delete, did not stumble across that yet. I successfully saved a video file, but, I cant find the matching toggles in the 3 drop downs that will let me successfully change the contrast and sharpness, AND lay down a mp3 file for the sound. Copy, copy, and AVI works, but, it wont allow any image filters. If there is another thread for this let me know.

P.
Also, These are saved as generic files that I have to assign a program to open them with, so will youtube and vimeo still play them on upload??
The copy function does NOT allow any filters, since that modifies the original, and you would no longer be copying (just like Vdub). To change the codecs and use the filters for video and audio, you do that right in the main window by hitting the arrow in their respective selection drop down boxes. You need to have a load video before the filters drop down will do anything. The filters are grouped into categories according to what they do (easier than Vdub for me). The contrast filter is in the "color" heading, and sharpness filter is in the "sharpness" heading. Mp3 is int he Audio drop down box.

The files are save in the "container" you select in the "Format" drop down box on the main window, not a "generic" file. BUT, the program does NOT automatically add the file tag suffix to the file name when you save it (why, I don't know), which makes it look generic, but it's only the icon that is affected! So if you save an .MP4 file type, be sure you type ".MP4" to whatever name you give the video when you save it. Then the icon will associate with whatever program you have for that file type. Alternatively, you can add the file type extension by renaming the file after you save it if you forget to do it when first saved.

Vimeo and Youtube should have no trouble accepting the files with the correct file extension... not sure if what happens if you leave it off.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 02, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:20 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
As a user of the old #3 key chain cam (720 x 480) this looks really great. I think I'll be ordering one real soon. Has anyone tried re-focusing the lense? These look like they have the same lense type as the old #3 camera. I manually focused my #3 using it in webcam mode to have a real time view from the camera, and it vastly improved the video quality. The focus from the factory seemed more suited to close up video. I focused it on a neighbor's deck about 100 yards away and it made my aerial videos much crisper with more detail.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Editing Info

OK, I added some info and links to help folks with basic editing in my reserved post #4. More tips can be added when I get a chance to compile them, but I'm focusing on AviDemux as the best basic freeware editor at this point. I don't want to start adding a bunch of commercial editor info.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 02, 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added link
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
As a user of the old #3 key chain cam (720 x 480) this looks really great. I think I'll be ordering one real soon. Has anyone tried re-focusing the lense? These look like they have the same lense type as the old #3 camera. I manually focused my #3 using it in webcam mode to have a real time view from the camera, and it vastly improved the video quality. The focus from the factory seemed more suited to close up video. I focused it on a neighbor's deck about 100 yards away and it made my aerial videos much crisper with more detail.

Doug
For best results, refocusing the lense is needed and done the same way as the old 808 cameras. I think one or two users have already done it.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:52 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
For best results, refocusing the lense is needed and done the same way as the old 808 cameras. I think one or two users have already done it.
Cool! and thanks.... I'm going to order one!

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:17 PM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
ive been reading the posts....is this camera well worth it? what sellers do you guys recommend? ive noticed different versions mentioned...should i wait or should i buy...
apok is offline Find More Posts by apok
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apok View Post
ive been reading the posts....is this camera well worth it? what sellers do you guys recommend? ive noticed different versions mentioned...should i wait or should i buy...
Go to the 2nd post of this thread. Four resellers are listed. All are the same company anyway.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:03 PM
placentia, ca.
Joined Mar 2008
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Go to the 2nd post of this thread. Four resellers are listed. All are the same company anyway.
ive checked the seller you recommended(eletoponline365)....theres like different prices 39-42 dollars...whats the diff?
apok is offline Find More Posts by apok
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
ive checked the seller you recommended(eletoponline365)....theres like different prices 39-42 dollars...whats the diff?
A few $$!
This is eBay... different ads posted at different times with very slightly different pricing. ... same camera. Sometimes there will be a one day sale ad post for several dollars less, but if you don't look daily, you'll miss it.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
What Tom said. The prices vary like pork bellys on on Chicago Mercantile.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread