SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
United States, OH, Maple Heights
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
What I like about the one listed is no need for modifications to the tray plus lightweight... (which is good except on the keel..)
transam2k4 is offline Find More Posts by transam2k4
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Not even sure if with the added width the sail arm would fit... there are some other options with a lot more torque but way more pricey like this one:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9039

I was looking into that one at first but came into my senses...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
BTW for the people considering buying the boat. I'm super happy with the boat and mine doesn't leak water at all.

Just needs a few tweaks if you want it to be great but right out of the box most will be perfectly pleased.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Just a quick update...
1. Ordered the Hobby King Blue Bird servo (stardard size but 3** some lbs/in of torque, 23 KG...)
2. Finished my very first sail (just the main). Made out of selophan or what ever the clear material is called to wrap flowers and gifts (material sponsored by MOM...). Will post pictures later on today but for my first set of sails turned out ok but it has way too much build in camber and tooooo little twist... (First time ever so I used cheap materials like duct tape and selophan...). Hopefully it will atleast sail...
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:27 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Neat transam. Have seen some sails done out of the clear colored cellophane like material. Like the look , hope they last a little while, but at least were cheap to make.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Used the cellophane as a practice material before attempting to use mylar or ripstop... Good thing too because I learned quite a bit from this set...
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:22 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by transam2k4 View Post
Just a quick update...
1. Ordered the Hobby King Blue Bird servo (stardard size but 3** some lbs/in of torque, 23 KG...)
2. Finished my very first sail (just the main). Made out of selophan or what ever the clear material is called to wrap flowers and gifts (material sponsored by MOM...). Will post pictures later on today but for my first set of sails turned out ok but it has way too much build in camber and tooooo little twist... (First time ever so I used cheap materials like duct tape and selophan...). Hopefully it will atleast sail...
Careful with such high torque servos; they've been known to pull themselves from their mountings, 5kg/cm should be ample for the MM. Florist cellophane is usually 35 micron approx.
PS sorry I though I was on the MM thread. the servo rating looks more than enough for the Vela as well - 180-200 oz/inch of torque would seem reasonable for normal wind.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Last edited by martin richards; Mar 04, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: PS added
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
The vela has about 744 sq in of sail which is quite a bit plus i'm doing the double haul (which means i'm splitting my torque in two plus adding friction...)
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Didnt get the opportunity to sail today but will do tomorrow and will take some shots... Heads up sails arent pretty at all... (tension wrinkles as if there was too much boom vang in)
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Sailed quite a bit this weekend. The new main sail proved to be slower or about equal but harder to trim than stock sails. I did noticed that with a steady 5-7 mph wind the boat really shines. I have a couple of pictures of the boat with the cellophan sails. I did do my testing on about 3-5 mph which maybe my sail had too much cam... My sail also has some wrinkles that probably kill speed... Also noticed a bit of too much twist but was because there was so much cam up top that wanted the air exiting a bit more parallel to the boom. Any suggestion and criticism is appreciated...

attached are the pictures:
Last edited by transam2k4; Mar 06, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:12 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
Great day on the lake today. I think String may have taken a few pictures.

Vela continues to show promise. Im fighting a fouling issue where the sheets exit the transom. They keep slipping over the drum roller and fouling between the drum and the drum bracket. Going to investigate a change in how the sheets transition out the transom and forward. May go to a single deck block like this one....

I put a pekabe 515 single block on the sail arm. Much better operation of the double haul sail arm now. Still need to increase the voltage operation to 6 volts. Double Haul setup has her still struggles with the kit rig when filled with air on 4.8volts.

She has good acceleration and boatspeed in most situations. Not a consistent as the proven Seawind, but she is a contender.

A nice set of race sails, a few running rigging tweaks, and I think she will compete very well.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Last edited by JDCrow; Mar 06, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Great Sailing Sunday. Got to late last night but will download some pics tonight.

Stringfly <>+++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Mar 07, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Above pictures of JD's Vela and Bruces Seawind and my China Team.

Stringfly <>++++
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Got my new servo in... awaiting install...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Finished servo installed. Had to improvise a bit. will test tomorrow