HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:44 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
When you Sry up the head & make sure the blades are spinning level with each other, that is blade tracking. Some corrections are normal, if the feathering shaft was bent you could look at the rotor disc & see a gap between blade tips rather than a constant disc you would see two very close together.loo up a few voids on blade tracking, you'll see it.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:52 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
I Did the blade tracking when I first built her, and everything still looks ok. I'm still not sure I understand what to look for with a bad feathering shaft. I didn't think that rotor disk in the middle was good for anything except looks....
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
About ready to give up on this thing!! Replaced entire tail end and vibrations will not go away!! New everything, shaft, all metal tail assembly, bearings. With no blades, very little vibration, with tail blades, vibration so bad I can't hold the boom in my hand! Boom supports look like guitar strings!! Blades are balanced... Can't figure it out!! WHat now?? Think I'm ready to go back to planes, screw this!!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Rotor disc refers to the blades overall, as when they are at full speed they appear to be a solid 'disc'. That button in the middle is only good for palming the head to a stop once you've cut throttle.

Here is an example of what good blade tracking looks like
Align T-Rex 450 DFC 3GX -- First Spool Up & Blade Tracking with Laser Pointer (1 min 46 sec)

Here is an example of what poor blade tracking looks like
Blade 400 with bad tracking. (0 min 22 sec)

If the feathering shaft is even slightly bent it will cause your blade tracking to shift mid-flight. That little shaft does rotate in the head block during flight, so a slight bend will deflect one blade, knocking it out of track. If you adjust the links to fix the blade tracking & take her up again, the shaft will rotate again & change the angle of the blade holders, throwing your tracking off again. You can chase it all day adjusting the links in & out, it'll never stay a clean rotor disc like the first vid. (replace it, its the only way)

The tail shaft is a bit different, it is the main shaft of your tail blades. At zero pitch with main blades off, spin up the heli & look down at the tail blades. You should see the 'disc' that they form tracking nicely parallel to the tail boom. If it is not perfectly parallel, or seems to 'shift' its position without rudder input from you or the gyro that shaft is likely bent or the bearings are shot & allowing it to wobble, or the tail box is not propperly assembled & allowing the wobble.

Hope this helps you get back in the air. I know these things are frustrating, but like they say... "By the time I'm a good heli pilot I'll be a GREAT heli mechanic."

~psguardian
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
With no blades there should be virtually NO vibes. If blades makes it worse they need to be balanced. The tail blades spin ~4x the headspeed so even though they are small, their imbalance is accentuated by their insanely high rotational speed.

Make sure that you always balance main blades & tail blades. Once the blades are the same weight see if the tail smooths out. If it still shakes at speed add a little more balancing tape to one blade, if it gets worse pull that extra & put it on the other blade. (This extra tape beyond blade balancing is to counter act whatever off balance there might be in the tail assembly itself). Same goes for the main blades, once they're balanced see if the head is smooth at speed, if shake is still present & all shafts are new add a little tape to one side & attempt to balance the assembly as a whole... but do the tail first as it seems that's where most of the vibes are coming from.

~psguardian
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:40 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
I see what youre saying, even though the blades are balanced which I just re checked, trial and error style the vibes with tape on the tail blades. I will try that, thanks bro!! If that doesnt work, I'm taking it to a LHS that just opened up down the street. The guy says he's mainly a heli guy and would be glad to look at it for me. Thanks again for the tips, I'll give it a try and see what happens...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Trial and error teaches you for sure. If nothing else take him up in his offer. Even if he only does an in person diagnosis, is worth his first hand input.

~psguardian
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:32 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
I Finally popped my cherry!! After a ton of SIM time and hovering in the front yard I finally tried some forward flight. How did it end you ask?? PERFECT! Was smooth, stable, and COMPLETELY AWESOME! I just kept charging and flying... Was awesome! Thanks for the help!! Nuthin fancy, just some figure 8 circuits, was so satisfying. Time to set her up for some neg pitch. I'll try to get some video next time...

---Chuck
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
Right on! I was just wondering what happened with this bird too LoL.

I have finally gotten a Sim working on my PC... I find the 500 size to be easiest to hover soo far.... All winter to practice for me LoL.

Look forward to some video.

~psguardian
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:51 AM
BeE fYiNg
EaRtH
Joined Mar 2009
186 Posts
The bigger the bird, the easier to hover them. Try to hover 700 size, it's so stable compare to 500 size.
hitz is offline Find More Posts by hitz
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
I will try that out.

~psguardian