Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:18 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
Discussion
Large Scale Air Racing in Australia

Hi guys,

I am keen to attend the 2012 National Air Races at Cootamundra later this month.. I have a Nemesis that I just purchased..

Any one here do the large scale Air racing? Looking for pointers etc.. I have been checking Stephen Green's articles in RCMN regarding the Nemesis.. just wondering what other suggestiions are out there.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Last edited by BulletMaster; Jun 18, 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: sorted the entry
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:20 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,241 Posts
did you buy Jeremys one? I had my eye on it!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
no... brand new one from Duanes.. Jeremy's is a great deal, but I wanted the 50cc engine option...
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:26 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,241 Posts
nice! I wish I had the time and space at the moment to buy his one.

When you get some big scale birds racing locally, let me know!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:54 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
So... no large scale racers in this forum then? Any idea where they might hang out?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:14 AM
Newcastle, AUS
Joined Mar 2003
193 Posts
Try Dave Brown - daveb@ix.net.au

I know he competes in the large scale air racing.
Trent Collins is offline Find More Posts by Trent Collins
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:38 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
lol... you know you need something new to do Trent... Got a 30cc 3D model? Come race in the Red Bull class...

Rules ---

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/masnsw/E..._Races_ad1.pdf
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Aussie Aeromodeller
Australia, NSW, Chittaway Bay
Joined Feb 2005
129 Posts
If you like I can email you the forms and then just email them to Steve Norrie, you can pay at the event.
Nitro2Burn is offline Find More Posts by Nitro2Burn
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:15 PM
Aussie Aeromodeller
Joined Feb 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
no... brand new one from Duanes.. Jeremy's is a great deal, but I wanted the 50cc engine option...
When I saw it up on RC trader I told Jez he should give the no engine option to attract the race crowd
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:02 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
Thanks nitro... I have been in contact with Steve, all sorted. Working on the model... Hopefully test fly this weekend. Using Stephen Green's info from RCMNews to setup the model..

I thought about Jeremy's model, and talked myself into buying it as a backup last night, but when I checked it had sold...

Are you heading down and if so, what classes do you race?
Last edited by BulletMaster; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:04 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
That looks a lot of fun! Plus it's big enough for us old guys to see unlike those F5D thingies....
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:34 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
lol... get yours built and throw a petty into it...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Aussie Aeromodeller
Joined Feb 2005
129 Posts
Yeah I'm heading down, I compete in Red Bull and Reno Unlimited and am in the process of scratch building a Bill Falck's Rivets for F1 though it won't be ready until Adelaide Air Races next year.
Steve's info is definately a good starting point and you can't go too far wrong with it, what engine is it and what prop have you got as these define most of your performance?
The Nemesis is a great entry for F1 though at a few of the bigger events it is no match for some of the scratch built models that are mind blowing to watch fang around the course. Naturally nothing like the speeds of the full on pylon races but heaps better to watch big models of real planes racing. With all that in mind you're prob better of waiting till after Coota to buy a spare as you might get the bug and want something faster.
Are you flying at Rebels or Metford? If you fly at Rebels I wil try and go there saturday (constant battle of family v flying) and will bring my Red Bull racer up plus my voltron GPS and we can see how fast your Nemesis is cracking
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
Nitro... I usually fly at Metford.. Organised Saturday morning for heavy model inspection (and maiden flight hopefully). I do occasionally get down to Rebels for some flying too.. mostly electric stuff..

Engine is a Turnigy one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8859 Completely unrun as of now.. hope to spin her up on Friday.

Props I have a Mez 18x12 and 18x14. Also have MA 20x10. Tried to get APC 18x16, but they are rare.. Regarding speed check.. I can use my Stalker radar gun if need be, but thanks for the offer.. I actually normally fly pylon with the NSW Pylon Association, just thought if I was going or a look, I may as well take a model to race too...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Aussie Aeromodeller
Joined Feb 2005
129 Posts
I'm a member up at Rebel's but also have an invite only strip to fly from so time share between the two. I'd probably lean more toward the 18X14, I think the 18X16 will be too much load on the engine, I run an 18X16.8 Supercool on my DA60 and it seems to be the one to best suit it. I know a lot of the guys run the APC T6 prop which I think is a 20X15 but they have them on G62's and DLE55's so once again I doubt the 50 will turn it quick enough. If you could get hold of one and cut it down to 18X15 I think you would have a good prop.
Hopefully it goes well, one thing reading the reviews on HK site was the seem to have a dodgy ignition module, hopefully this won't be an issue for you, look forward to seeing you there and competing.
Byron