HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
Gets shakes if no FPV in 24hrs
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sia100 View Post
That is amazing. Can't wait to see the vid.
168 min left to go as of now. The video is amazing in two aspects, for one, the heli flies for 22 mins continuosly and I'm keeping her up a good 20+ feet most of the time. Secondly, the HD video is amazing. You'd think I had the GoPro on a yard stick imitating a helicopter, lol. It's real, I assure you. But all I do is play it super safe by holding my position in my front yard. It actually started to get dark on me. I was loosing my light by the end of the flight. Crazy huh, that it can fly through an entire sunset now. Other than that the video is bland, please feel free to jump towards the end, or not. I try to at least fly near some of the blooming trees to make it interesting
jarod120 is offline Find More Posts by jarod120
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Jarod...yeah the place I went had a couple of options. One was to do the full day of training and a solo jump the first time out. My brain still leaked out of my head the first time I stood on the wing brace of that Cessna 172. I didn't freak out. Worse. I totally became disconnected from reality. Couldn't even think! Amazing experience. Of course I was doing well by jump # 9 a few weeks later. But wow, that first one was a doozy! Then I signed my Mom up for a tandem jump for her birthday. She loved it.
Don't feel too bad, my second jump which was my first solo jump I did one really bad thing. I lost altitude awareness. The instructors were giving me the hand signs to straighten my legs, my brain was so focused on moving my legs that when they started giving the sign to pull the rip cord I thought it was still to do with my legs. Next thing you know one of the instructors pulls my rip cord; I'm freaked and my training kicks in right away. Something unexpected has happened so my hand goes right to the emergency cut away handle. I can still see the look on my instructors faces as they were falling on their backs watching me. Once I realized what was going on I let go of the emergency rip cord. I counted to 5 like we were trained before looking up to see what kind of chute I had over my head. Oh yea, apparently I had a nasty twist in my lines. It spun me around like I was in a washing machine. I was too stupid to know what was going on and kept going one-one thousand, two-one thousand, up to five before looking up. All I saw was a good looking chute. They, the instructors said it was on the severe end of the scale, and doesn't always untangle itself when it's that wrapped up.
Oh, so back to the altitude awareness thing, they were kind of pissed at me. I didn't know it but we were about 10 seconds from going splat. I can't recall at what altitude I pulled, or was pulled for me. I think it was just above 1000 feet. The danger zone is what 3000 feet? Iíve only been 3 times, once tandem and two instructor assisted solos.
Weíve got one of the best wind tunnel skydiving training centers in the world here near Orlando. It would be perfect for learning how to keep your balance and learn how to move around. In the wind tunnel your flight can last for 10-15 mins. When jumping from a plane you only get maybe 60 seconds of free fall. I should check it out. Thatís the part that wasnít too attractive, was paying for all of those instructor assisted jumps. I donít mind doing it, but I want it to be a one time deal. Since I lost altitude awareness I had to repeat the jump until I could get it right. It can get to be very expensive if you have to start repeating jumps. The one cool thing my instructor did was to sign the back of my log book. He said your bounce proof; it was an unwritten code among skydivers.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
The vtx. downlink video and the GoPro HD videos are ready. I left the video receiver inside hooked up to my capture card. I was getting tired of dragging it all downstairs. It seemed to work okay considering it was indoors and the heli wasn't.

ET OSD vtx downlink video (22min flight)

T-Rex_7.wmv (23 min 1 sec)

GoPro Hero2 HD

GOPR0253.MP4 (23 min 14 sec)
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
I added an independent lipo to my lost model alarm, then secured it to the heli. It's unlikely that the batteries will remain connected during a crash, this way as soon as the signal wire goes quiet the alarm sounds. I ordered a couple of 1s 250mAh cells from China a couple of months ago and the just arrived. I'm guessing that lipo can power the alarm for a day or two?

I test flew her with dual flight packs today and it was a good test. It was too windy to go up very high so I played yo-yo with the collective and threw the controls around. This heli is capable of flying FPV with this configuration. I did turn up my RPMs to 2100, I might go up to 2200? Whatever provides the best feel on the sticks. I might have a chance to go FPV tomorrow?

I started a new thread about the heli. I tried to outline what I've got here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post21128473

Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Wow jarod that's some long flight time, looks like I'm going to have to invest in some time on my 450.
Liam
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
I'm still here, just been very busy. I'm taking 5 classes (15 hrs) which is considered a pretty heavy class schedule. I got hit hard with exams this past week and a half. I'm 3 days into a 5 day exam schedule. Not a good thing when you're a typical college procrastinator. Plus I finally had that oral surgery yesterday and that hasn't helped. Today it feels like I was kicked in the face by a horse. My face is lopsided; hopefully it's just temporary

So I got those little Thunder Power G6 Pro Lite 3s 250mAh lipos. Wow, they are so cute, lol... They are these little baby size ones. Here take a peek.

Today will be the first time in probably a week I've had a moment to even think about my T-Rex 450 FPV ship. I went ahead and ordered some replacement Spin Blades. There is no way I'm going back to anything else. These things are really like a dream come true. I know they are awkward and maybe unwieldy but they are exactly what the dr ordered. I haven't had a chance to do any test flights this week. I've reproduced the 22 min flight several times over; it's proven to be easily reproduced.

Now that I've got a couple of these tiny TP 3s 250mAh lipos I'm going to use them as independent flight packs. I cranked the voltage up to 6v using my UBEC and placed a 5v regulator in line with the GoPro. I didn't want to be the first to find out if a GoPro can safely run on 6v. I hope that fixes the problem of the ever slowing servo movements. I think those cheap Turnigy 500mAh lipos werenít up to the job. Those digital servos, vtx, GoPro, 3GX, and the ET gear use up more power than you might think, especially over a 15 or 20 min flight. If I need more than 250mAh I'll hook up two of them. I might even divide up the workload?

I'll try some battery combinations today if possible. How about x2 3s 2700mAh (5400mAh) lipos with x2 3s 250mAh (500mAh) lipos to power everything but the ESC and motor. That would be a total of 5900mAh onboard flight capacity! Wow that's a big step up from the 2200mAh I was using a short time ago. I think the best combination will probably result from x1 2700mAh for the motor/esc and x1 250mAh for everything else. That should deliver 15 min flight times without changing too many of the flight characteristics?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your results with 1 pack. For me, I'm not sure the difference between 15 min and 22 min is great enough that I'd risk the potential change in flight characteristics with the extra weight. But really cool to know that it's possible!

I did not get out last weekend to do vibe trouble shooting, but I should have some more time this weekend.
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S9coldfire View Post
Looking forward to seeing your results with 1 pack. For me, I'm not sure the difference between 15 min and 22 min is great enough that I'd risk the potential change in flight characteristics with the extra weight. But really cool to know that it's possible!

I did not get out last weekend to do vibe trouble shooting, but I should have some more time this weekend.
First test flight went well. I used x1 2700 and x1 250 and both were almost at the same voltage at the end of the flight. The larger battery lost power first, but not by much. I'm running a ton of stuff off of my flight battery though, GoPro, 300mw vtx, 6v UBEC, x4 digital servos, 3GX gyro, DL rx, and all of the ET gear, and soon the strobe lights. I guess those results are actually about as good as I could have asked for. It's not like I'm going to fly around FPV waiting for my bird to drop out of the air due to loss of power. When the first pack is done, it won't matter how much time is left in the second pack, unless I'm autorotating down from say 2k feet? This is a good match, and if your using 2200mAh packs you'll have even more reserve power.

It wasn't a duration test, it was a stability and power test. I was really throwing the controls around and pushing the envelope with collective while still keeping stability. It flew for 13:40 seconds and it was a tough flight. I wanted to see if I could kill the secondary flight pack? I had the low voltage alarm hooked up to it, but even with the hard servo throws, and those digital servos use up more power than analaog under stresss, didn't kill the small flight battery. I was paying close attention to the servo's behavior. I might be a bit paranoid, I thought I could detect a change, but it was probably in my head. It was very obvious last few times it happened. You could even hear it on the ground, simply moving the sticks around, this time everything held up well.

I'm running over to RadioShack to pick up some 15k resistors so I can hook up the 2nd flight pack to the ET setup. It's absoultely a must for OSD data.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
I picked up some 15 Ohm resistors by accident. I'm guessing that 15Kohm are different than 15ohm? I ordered the right ones off of Amazon. You get 5 times as many plus they're delivered for only a $1 more and I know they're the right ones.

Yesterday it fealt like I was kicked in the face, today it's more like my head was run over by a truck. Thursday I had that oral surgery I was carrying on about a while back. I had some bone removed from my jaw, incase anyone is curious.

So I've noticed a strange problem that has popped up with the DL and the RSSI. It was working great, and I knew it was something I had done recently. I tracked it down and it was the change from 5v to 6v? The DL rx just won't register a clear usable RSSI running at 6v? I tried everything you can think of, it's just as simple as that. The voltage, nothing else is at fault. I swtiched my UBEC back to 5v and everything is working as normal. I'll need to re-test the 250mAh secondary flight packs since all tests with them have been using 6v. I don't think it will cause any problems, since the lipos worked at 6v, they should have even more power left over at 5v. I haven't seen the slow servo problem since I ditched those Turnigy 500mAh 3s lipos. These little 24g (with all the connectors even!) 3s 250mAh TP Pro Lite packs are amazing, perfectly matched to their bigger brother 2700mAh for use in this fashion.

I can power everything up and start recording my vtx downlink before I even hook up my main flight battery

How's that for independent flight systems? You can see the RSSI problem in this video. That's how it works running at 6v.

My Movie (0 min 29 sec)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:29 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Bone removal doesn't sound like too much fun. Hopefully the pain will be over soon.

That is strange about the voltage and the RSSI. Maybe someone on the DL thread is familiar with this behavior?
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Bone removal doesn't sound like too much fun. Hopefully the pain will be over soon.

That is strange about the voltage and the RSSI. Maybe someone on the DL thread is familiar with this behavior?
I hope the pain is under control soon. I was stupid and took more of my pain pills than I probably should have the first 24 hours. Now 3 days later the real bone aching pain is kicking in and my med supply will be out in a day or two I'll try and substitute more ibuprofen and allieve for the narcotics. I can't stand the idea of runnning out feeling like this.

There was no real advantage to running at 6v as opposed to 5v. Yes the servos are faster but that's about it. My GoPro won't run off 6v, I tried, several times. It will run just fine off of 5v though. I cranked up the voltage because of the crash I had due to the 2nd flight pack running low while only 50% discharged. They were 3s 500mAh Turnigy packs. Now that I'm runnig the 3s 250mAh 2nd flight packs those problems are gone. I've flown around 4-5 flights today using x1 2700mAh and x1 250mAh flight packs. Flight times are consistantly in the high 14 min ranges. I can't quite dial in 15 mins, but I'm not done yet. I re-ran the 3GX setup and corrected some mistakes in my setup now that I'm using these Spin Blades. Now the helis is flying much better, which means I can try flying with a lower head speed. I've got her flying really well at 1900RPMs but I can't go any lower without changing to a lower tooth pinion. I'm in the process of putting the 12t back on there to see what my flight times are like at 1800RPMs?

Will report back with the results.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
I did it! I broke the 15 min barrier! I just had a 16+ min flight with a great flying heli! EDIT x1 3s 2700mAh main flight pack and x1 3s 250mAh secondary flight pack

It was the change down from 13t to a 12t pinion. Now that I re-ran my 3GX setup and re-calibrated the system for the larger asym Spin Blades I can run much lower headspeeds. That 3-axis gyro needs to know where your neutral pitch settings are, otherwise you'll have stability issues. It's flying at 1800RPMs really well.

I'm uploading my ET OSD Pro vtx downlink video. You wouldn't believe it but I'm pulling around 10 amps to hover, less actually. That's insane! I've seen these Mega Motors for sale lately, you can pick one up for prob $50 and I'm using an 8 year CC35 ESC with the latest firmware (just released a new version that allows pulse shut down while in governor mode. No more falling out of ths sky ). Just make sure you get the 3.17 or 3.2 shaft diameter motor if you do. Some sites list it differently than others.

The Align 3GX system has a tendancy to reverse drift. I can't get rid of it, I'm either going to adjust to it and learn to correct for it. Be aware of that issue if going with the Align 3GX. They might have it fixed in the next firmware? Version 2.0 did help a little, and also improved many other aspects of flight. The heli has never flown better, ever!

I forgot you guys still have flybars, that might be a lot of mass in combination with the heavy Spin Blades. I promise if you go FBL you won't regret it.

T Rex 7 (16 min 15 sec)
Last edited by jarod120; Mar 31, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Oops, I crashed my heli inside the apt It was late and I confused a discharged flight lipo for a charged one. Needless to say the helicopter didn't fly for long. I busted up the Spin Blades; they're history. I ordered 4 more pair last week. I realized that once I get everything dialed, like I pretty much have it now, I'm not going to be happy switching back to those clumsy Align 325mm blades. I'm going to order another audio low battery alarm. I've only got one and I need two if I want it to cover both flight packs. A $10 lipo alarm would have saved me about $60 in spare parts.

Oh well, they worked great while I had them. I probably put a few hours on them, so it's not like I didn't get to try them out. I'll probably have the new ones I ordered anyday now. I think I ordered them almost 2 weeks ago?

I was trying out an even slower headspeed when the crash happened. I was going to test out 1700RPMs, as brief as the flight was, the heli sounded too weak. I think 1800RPMs is about as low as you want to go.

I've been giving more thought to that tri-bladed FBL head. I think with the right combination of lift and battery capacity we could get these 450 size FPV helis into the 30 min realm?

DAMAGE:

Spin Blades, Main Shaft, 150t Main Gear, Tail Boom, and maybe the feathering shaft?
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Got her all fixed up, tip top shape, minus the asym SBs. I've got work to do but later I'll see if i can run the same setup with the regular blades leaving everything else the way it was, to see how much a difference there is in flight time.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Nice one breaking 15 mins on 3s, looks like I'm going to need to up my 4s from 2450 to a higher mah lol and lower my head speed down with a 12 tooth pinion.
Liam
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m