- servo channels changer
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=151

- S-Bus to PWM decoder 4 channels
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=152

Available at HiModel:
http://www.himodel.com/radios/FrSky_...M_Decoder.html
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Dec 30, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
RC Soarer & wheel re-inventer
Spain, CN, Tacoronte
Joined Jul 2003
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Frsky silently added two new devices to the system, targeting S-Bus:
- servo channels changer

I think this 40amp sensor is allso a new product ..
http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=149
... smaller and lighter than the 100amp one .
debianhot is offline Find More Posts by debianhot
Last edited by debianhot; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:14 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,199 Posts
FAS-40 was already announced some weeks ago, the news id in the URL tells the order of appearance.
Is lighter, not smaller, still not fit in a slim performance glider fuse, I already commented how I would see a more useful redesign of such sensor.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Cold seems to mess up SOME Frsky RX's

Post 49 of this thread:
Quote:
I have been struck by a rather dangerous flaw in my Frisky receiver:
It fails in cold weather. Repeated test confirms that this “feature" is constant.
What happens is that it seems to reboot over and over again, obviously causing some serious delays in control inputs.It works without errors after a few minutes in room temperature.I wonder if anybody else have encountered this, or if it’s just me that got stuck with a dud.
From jhsa:
Quote:
I don't know but, how cold is it there? worth testing?
U2builder:
Quote:
OK, it is the cold. I just put the radio and the quad outdoors at 25F for a few minutes and the D8R-XP lost signal. I brought the radio in and the signal was not regained. I then brought the quad in, leaving everything still "on" and after it warmed up for a few minutes it regained the signal. I repeated the experiment this time with the radio indoors and the quad outdoors. After a few minutes it lost signal. It reagained signal a few minutes after I brought it in.

This is consistant with both of my failures in the field reported above. Both times it was around or just below freezing and both times the RX lost signal after a minutes outdoors, once on the ground and once flying. In both cases it reagained signal when I tested it on my bench a few minutes later.

So my D8R-XP does not operate properly in cold weather. The question: Is this a problem with D8R-XP in general or just mine?
U2builder:
Quote:
I just put my hex outdoors at about 25 degrees F. It is fitted with a
Frsky D8R-II Plus. Unlike my D8R-XP, which was reflashed and had the RSSI DAC attached, it is factory stock, has never been reflashed, and does not have the RSSI DAC converted attached. After about 10 minutes outdoors, more or less, the RX lost signal. I brought the hex indoors and it regained signal in a few minutes.

So both my Frsky D8R-XP and D8R-II Plus RX's appear to lose signal when it is cold out, even though the radio is near them, either outdoors, or indoors on the other side of the door. The signal strength is near max as evidenced by the RSSI on the DAC converter right up to the time it is lost completely.
From aesmith:
Quote:
I think we'd have heard long ago if Frsky generally has a problem at low temperatures
From Renatoa:
Quote:
Not for me, in the last three winters, at negative Celsius, I flown one time while snowing, on a 20kmph wind, which make the cold feel even intense.
From Dave Crash:
Quote:
The Rx should be able to handle that temp. LiPo's have to be kept warm until you use them then the currant going through them is usually enough to kept them warm enough to work. Running just the Rx is not enough currant to keep the LiPo's warm enough. Maybe some electrical interference from one of your componants is causing your problem. I would think it is highly unlikely to have2 bad RX's.
From pmackenzie:
Quote:
I hope you find the cause. Just be methodical and you should be able to track it down.
OK, this was extremely confusing. After finding that cold (26-32 F) seemed to cause the D8R-XP on my quad and the DR8-II plus (both very recently purchased from Aloft Hobbies) to lose signal and then regain it when it was warmed up, I tested another D8R-XP and two V8R7SP RX's and they didn't have this problem. So I basically agreed with Dave Crash: that it would be highly unlikely for two RX's to lose signal in the cold. So I decided it might be something in my batteries, esc, or some other electrically related problem.

While I did not suspect my Lipos I tried these tests with warm fully charged LIpos and crappy, cold soaked, Lipos with a pretty low charge. No differerence.

Then I put a voltmeter on the RX and put the quad out in the cold. I observed a very steady 5V signal that remained after the RX lost its signal in a few minutes. I did several cycles of taking the quad outdoors, watching it lose its signal, bringing it indoors and watching it regain the signal. I did the same thing with my hex. It did not appear that the RX's were getting some type of brownout from the ESC. I tried shaking the multicopters, jiggling wires, putting the radio in different places. The only thing that was consistant was that cold temperatures (probably -2C today) made it drop the signal (blinking red light) and allowing to warm up brought the signal back(solid red light).

I then decided to remove the D8R-XP from my quad and replace it with the spare D8R-XP that seemed to pass the "cold test" with an RX battery attached.

After swapping the two RX's, I put an RX battery on the suspected "bad" RX and put it out in the cold. Sure enough it lost signal in a few minutes and regained it when I brought it inside. It was just the RX and the RX battery. I repeated this cycle several times with the same result.

I put my quad with the "good" RX on it outdoors and it did not lose signal. I put the hex outdoors with its suspected "bad" RX as well the "bad" RX removed from the quad and they both lost signal. All three were getting the same signal from the radio at the same time for this test.

So I am pretty confident that I happen to have purchased three RX's in the month of December, two of which seem to lose signal when the temperature drops to around 0C, and one that "seems" to be OK, though I must admit I am apprehensive about flying it without letting it sit outdoors for many more hours. The next few flights are going to make me most apprehensive.

It is possible since I have two RX's that don't seem to handle the cold there could be other such RX's out there. While I can't say I am 100% positive that cold is causing these problems, it sure seems to be.

BTW, this type of problem would most likely be noticed in a multicopter because the RX is exposed to the cold. Buried in a fuselage with motor, ESC and battery heat the RX would not be as likely to drop to 0C.

I hope Aloft Hobbies will accept a return of these two RX's and send them to Frsky for testing.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Last edited by u2builder; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renato View Post
Frsky silently added two new devices to the system, targeting S-Bus:
- servo channels changer

Available at HiModel:
Just what we need MORE COMPLEXIDY!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:50 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Picture this Experiment

Picture this: I take the "bad" RX and plug in a nominal 4.8 V Rx battery. The red light blinks. I turn on the radio and the red light goes solid. I put it in the freezer for a few minutes. I open the door and the red light is blinking. I hold it over the woodstove for a minute or so the the red light goes solid. I was going to make a U tube video for "proof" but but for Frsky's sake I think I will leave my description here on this post. And two out of three of my new two way RX's do this. I am sure you "get the picture".
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Picture this: I take the "bad" RX and plug in a nominal 4.8 V Rx battery. The red light blinks. I turn on the radio and the red light goes solid. I put it in the freezer for a few minutes. I open the door and the red light is blinking. I hold it over the woodstove for a minute or so the the red light goes solid. I was going to make a U tube video for "proof" but but for Frsky's sake I think I will leave my description here on this post. And two out of three of my new two way RX's do this. I am sure you "get the picture".
Your tests certainly seem systematic and point to two receivers being inoperable at low temperature. In my earlier comment I meant that if there was a general problem with the type it would have surfaced earlier. However it could be a change in the product, or a bad batch. It would be nice to get a response from Frsky themselves on this issue. It's odd that your two bad ones are different models, and your good one is the same model as one of the bad ones.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
It's odd that your two bad ones are different models, and your good one is the same model as one of the bad ones.
Indeed, it is very odd, kind of mind boggling, that the two D8R-XP's were both purchased at the same time and that is was why it took me so long to get my head around the idea that I had could have two "cold sensitive" RX's that were different models, and three others that worked in the cold.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,735 Posts
Back in the days I worked in the electronic industry doing failure analysis for a major company we had issues with fibre optic components failing at very low temperatures and returning to life as they warmed up. the problem was eventually traced to the soldered joints on surface mounted components going open circuit as the temperature dropped. This was caused by a mismatch in the thermal expansion between the component and the solder which caused them to separate when the metalisation on the pulled off the component. We overcame this by changing the metalisation on the component.. So it is entirely possible that Frsky have a problem with a batch of components.

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigdon View Post
Back in the days I worked in the electronic industry doing failure analysis for a major company we had issues with fibre optic components failing at very low temperatures and returning to life as they warmed up. the problem was eventually traced to the soldered joints on surface mounted components going open circuit as the temperature dropped. This was caused by a mismatch in the thermal expansion between the component and the solder which caused them to separate when the metallization on the pulled off the component. We overcame this by changing the metallization on the component.. So it is entirely possible that Frsky have a problem with a batch of components.

Regards

Terry
YUP! I agree! I was going to buy 4 new receivers for my Frsky this week. I think now I will put that idea aside and take the wait and see attitude
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:20 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Indeed, it is very odd, kind of mind boggling, that the two D8R-XP's were both purchased at the same time and that is was why it took me so long to get my head around the idea that I had could have two "cold sensitive" RX's that were different models, and three others that worked in the cold.
Sure does appear to be your RX's after your intense investigation.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:32 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,188 Posts
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Last edited by gbmarsh; Dec 30, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,531 Posts
I have a a brand new still in the box D8R-II Plus that I bought a couple of months ago.. will try to test it..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
I have a a brand new still in the box D8R-II Plus that I bought a couple of months ago.. will try to test it..
This is a good idea!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
I am going to test all mine from now on. Just bind it, plug in an RX battery and put it in the freezer for a few minutes. Open the door once in a while to make sure the red light stays on. Perhaps a good idea to put it in a zip lock bag. I just retested mine to see how long it takes: it was 5 or 6 minutes in this case before the light started to blink. It stopped blinking after a few minutes out of the freezer.

BTW, when I was "testing" outdoors with the RX on the quad it did not "always" fail during a cold soak. Sometimes it would work for a long time and I would think that I was crazy or that it might be caused by the position of the moon or stars. But sooner or later it would fail and then work when I warmed it up. This was quite confusing and leads some credence to the "poor solder theory" mentioned above. So I would do more than one test just to make sure. It has been failing regularly with the freezer test.