HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:12 PM
NorthCoast NSW
Joined Feb 2004
228 Posts
Discussion
Fokker tri engine - Southern Cross

Hi guys,

I am looking on behalf of one of the gents at the club for a plan of a Fokker tri engined plane.

Charles Kingsford-Smith flew one of these around the world. It was called the Southern Cross.

The model will have a wingspan of about 2m but we can blow up a plan to suit so long as it is not too small.

Attached is a picture of the plane. Sorry I don't know the actual name of the plane.

Anyone have a plan or know of one please?

Pete B
PeterB is offline Find More Posts by PeterB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:26 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,376 Posts
I can do you a scan of a NZ Nats winning c/l model as it was published in Aeromodeller March 58. Span of the model was 54" and super detailed. I'll fish it out and do it tomorrow.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 03, 2006, 02:51 AM
Guntalingen, Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
I don't know of a plan, but at least I know the name: It's a Fokker F VIIb/3m. Maybe that helps with the search.
That said, you'd probably get by on a 3-view- maybe this one: http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/fok7.html
It's a simple box fuselage and a cantilever wing, a few struts and things - that's it.
Lorenz
flyyyer is offline Find More Posts by flyyyer
Old Mar 03, 2006, 06:50 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
949 Posts
Pete, I hope your friend knows that the real thing is on display- well worth a look if visiting Brisbane.
IIRC Fokker used the wing & fuselage from 2 slightly different models to construct it so it isn't quite the same as any other VIIb/3m... not sure what the differences are though, apart from the fin & rudder.
Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Last edited by Zephyr41; Mar 03, 2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2006, 09:22 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Pete

Argus publications had a control-line model plan for this aircraft in their range, which might give you a starting point for an own-design. Can't recall the wingspan, butthe plan is still available as part of their 'X-List' range of older plans, here's the link

www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/multieng.htm

Scroll down the list, click on the plan name and it'll take you to the ordering page.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 03, 2006, 12:47 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,376 Posts
Here is a scan of the plan I mentioned. It's the same one as Steve is referring to.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Mar 03, 2006, 02:44 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
That's the one, Kiwi.....hmmm...it's got ME thinking about a model now, I always did like this particular plane

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 05, 2006, 05:33 PM
NorthCoast NSW
Joined Feb 2004
228 Posts
Guys,

A fantastic response guys, thank you very much.
we know of the one in Bris and it's only 1:45 away so it's worth another look.
I'll see if Keith can use the scanned plans Kiwi, if not he can order them.
Thanks again on his behalf.

Pete B
PeterB is offline Find More Posts by PeterB