HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Discussion
Vented Spinners for EF-1-What is legal

Hello,
I am building a couple of new EF-1's and was wondering what is the exact rule on spinners-vented spinners in particular. I have been told they must be commerically available stock spinners, only modified to fit the prop and to balance.
I guesss I am a little confused, I saw a few different styles at the NATS last year, all of which were home made. Jim Katz actually was kind enough to take time to show me the one he had-beautiful. Pictures can be seen in this forum elsewhere. Can someone please explain the rule and what is and isn't allowd and thank you for your time

Steve
Steve Parsole is offline Find More Posts by Steve Parsole
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:17 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
534 Posts
Here is what the rule says:

"Spinner diameter should represent that used on the full size airplane. Slightly smaller is acceptable, provided it is a minimum of 1.5" (38 mm). Spinners must be commercially available and stock. Acceptable modifications of a stock spinner are limited to removing or adding material for balancing; removing material to mount the spinner to the motor; or removing material to provide clearance for the propeller and the spinner cone. Spinners included with ARF kits are considered commercially available." Seems pretty clear to me. The vented spinners by Tru-Turn are perfectly legal.

The spinners used by Jim and Mike at the NATS were made by Aero Racing Engines. I cannot speak to whether they meet the requirement of "commercially available".

Randy
Rsmith is offline Find More Posts by Rsmith
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:20 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Mar 2000
752 Posts
Spinners

Try this out.
http://www.truturn.com/turbo_cool_spinners.html
Kevin Matney is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Matney
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:25 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,377 Posts
If this makes you feel better. Dan Kane, who is on the board that makes the Rules stated in a post on the nmpra.org site that they are Legal.
Dale 813 is online now Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:52 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
721 Posts
Note about the aero precision spinners. If they are commercially available and stock they are legal. If not they cannot be used. The tru turn turbo spinner is legal.

This rule was not in place last year. Therefore anything was legal.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:28 PM
Speed = spectacular potential
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
Note about the aero precision spinners. If they are commercially available and stock they are legal. If not they cannot be used. The tru turn turbo spinner is legal.

This rule was not in place last year. Therefore anything was legal.

DK
This rule is really a hardship for those of us in the Deep South with warm humid climate. We race in +100 degree heat as a rule. To keep ESCs from smoking, nearly all of us take commercial spinners and grind down the tip to let in critically needed cooling. Either that or we remove spinners completely during practice. So you are saying that we can no longer buy a $5 dollar plastic spinner and open it, but instead we need to purchase $40 commercial models? How is customizing by removing a little material any different than customize an ARF motor box for strength and/or weight?
blacknoise is offline Find More Posts by blacknoise
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:47 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
721 Posts
Blacknose

If modifying $5 spinners is a requirement for Texas by all means continue. Just make sure you publish this deviation from the national rules in your pre race contest flyer.

Note: you may be able to turn a $5 plastic spinner into a useful cooling tool but some cannot nor would we even want them to attempt to. Therefore we must make them commercially available.

DK

Another thought could be that you or others can make spinners and make them commercially available. Just make sure the rules regarding commercially available parts is followed.
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Last edited by dkane; Jan 25, 2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:28 AM
United States, NY, Bethpage
Joined Oct 2005
58 Posts
Hello,
Can anyone tell me what is meant by commercially available? How many have to be made, and how many outlets for sale do there have to be. I found a great spinner from the UK but is is not sold here.

Thanks
Dave
Whitman Flyers is offline Find More Posts by Whitman Flyers
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:26 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
534 Posts
Basically, this is what the AMA pylon rule book states regarding commercially available:

"An engine or part (parts include any item used for competing in the specific event, for example a propeller is a part) is commercially available if an identical engine or part can be obtained within an average of 30 days by any consumer at a price that is independent of who the consumer is."

Randy
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:17 PM
Speed = spectacular potential
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith View Post
Basically, this is what the AMA pylon rule book states regarding commercially available:

"An engine or part (parts include any item used for competing in the specific event, for example a propeller is a part) is commercially available if an identical engine or part can be obtained within an average of 30 days by any consumer at a price that is independent of who the consumer is."

Randy

Please consider this official notice that Black Parks Inc intends to offer precision vented Great Planes aluminum backed spinners for commercial sale under the brand name, Cheetah E-F1 Spinners. We are working out logistics and pricing and will post ordering information shortly.
blacknoise is offline Find More Posts by blacknoise
Old Apr 06, 2014, 08:33 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
534 Posts
Sweet Pea Spinner

I recently discovered that the vented spinner for the Sweet Pea E-F1 is commercially available from Aero Racing Engines ( Mike Langlois). The spinner is aluminum and 44mm in diameter. Cost is $40.00 each. It is designed for the Sweet Pea but would work fine on any E-F1 model that requires a 1-3/4" spinner.

Randy