HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:16 PM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
174 Posts
Discussion
Ace Littlest Stick Motor Help

I'm looking for a Cox .020 engine to put on my Ace Littlest Stick. I have many years glow experience but none with these engines.
Looking around I see some listed as .020 Tee Dee and others listed as .020 Pee Wee. Whats the difference?

Thanks

Nick
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bantam II
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:37 PM
Forest, Va
Joined Nov 2009
270 Posts
Basically, the TD is a high performance and the Pee Wee is a sport. Pee Wee is more than enough for the Littlest Stick. I believe a TD .010 is the ideal set up.

John
Rubbernecker is online now Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:54 PM
Nick
Joined May 2012
174 Posts
Thanks
Yea it calls for a .010 but they are harder to find and cost a lot more than a .020.

Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,144 Posts
Back in the day the TD.10 helped keep things light these days with the lighter gear and a 2S lipo battery in the nose will allow vertical with a Pee Wee. I flew one with a .10 and rudder / elevator futaba mini servos back then still weighed in over 23g per servo power for the rx 4 cell 350mah nicads 20g plus rx. Now you can go 4ch with a throttle sleeve on the Pee Wee for 1/3 rd the weight of the old 2ch set up.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:43 PM
Joined Jan 2004
329 Posts
Major differences:
1) The PeeWee .020 is a reed valve engine.
2) The TD .020 is a rotory valve engine.
3) The PeeWee .020 normally has a built in tank.
4) The TD .020 normally has a tank mount, or can use a small external tank.
5) The TD .020 has almost twice the HP of a PeeWee, according to past published charts.
6) The TD is more expensive than the PeeWee on the used market. The cheapest I got a new TD .020 was $50 from a consignment at a hobby shop, and that's cheaper than used ones on eBay. The cheapest I got a PeeWee was $6.00 on eBay.
7) PeeWee .020's appear about five times more often on eBay than TD .020's do.

Those are my observations.
gettinout is offline Find More Posts by gettinout
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
Never built a Littlest Stik, but years ago we did fly a Peck Mini-Bell on both the Pee Wee and Tee Dee .020 engines. The Mini-Bell is a little larger than the Littlest Stick and the Pee Wee flew it around OK--not spectacular, but OK. We then mounted the Tee Dee and that airplane turned into a whole different breed of cat, i.e., things got very lively. My advice? Try it with the Pee Wee first.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,144 Posts
TD .10 3x1.2 prop vs Pee Wee with a 4.5x2 big difference in thrust. I have 4 TD.10's and 5 TD .20 with 3 exhaust throttles yes big difference in power. But like I said source a Pee Wee on ebay with a exhaust throttle you can add a hopper tank for longer runs easy to do or fab a extension ring for the existing tank. You can fab a sheet metal strap type exhaust throttle I have 1 and it works fine. I have posted a pic of it on this forum
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:31 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,651 Posts
Take some care;
Pee Wee 020's ...were (in My hands seriously unreliable engines.
Hard to get running and even then gave iffy runs. A fairly common complaint with the things.
TD 020 was a much nicer, far more user friendly motor
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:39 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
I've always had good luck with the Cox .020, as long as the fuel was fresh and filtered. Both the Pee Wee and Tee Dee like at least 20% nitro and always make sure your fuel contains castor oil. This topic has been beaten into submission in other threads, but I thought it deserved another beating....
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:41 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,124 Posts
I agree with Bare... TD is the way to go if you can locate one and afford it. Interesting side note is that both engines used the same cylinder/piston. There were no changes to the TD cylinder.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:20 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
874 Posts
I have struggled a lot with the peewee too. I think the tank might heat up during a run or something, and the needle therefore needs constant adjustment in order to run out a full tank.

On diesel it is much more reliable tough, and can it can pull a decent prop without any problem.
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:32 PM
Nick
Joined May 2012
174 Posts
Thanks for all the information guys, wow.
I want the Ace Littlest Stick to fly fast and loud, like old times. Nobody at my field has ever seen one nor have they ever heard a small Cox engine run and we don't have any noise restrictions. I want that screaming bumble bee sound. I plan to put some small lightweight servos and receiver in it.
The problem is I don't want to get a loan from the bank to buy a small Cox engine, LOL.
I was looking at this one on Ebay. It looks new but like its covered in balsa dust. The guy said it was a .020 Tee Dee.
Could some of y'all look at it and see what you think?
One other question where can I buy glow heads for it. I'm just playing around with this Littlest Stick so I don't want to spend a ton of money but I do want to get it finished.
The ebay listing is here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks
Nick
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,144 Posts
Yes good TD .010 engine with a 3in prop - just wood dust has blessed it. I would buy it.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:42 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksbbq View Post
Thanks for all the information guys, wow.
I want the Ace Littlest Stick to fly fast and loud, like old times. Nobody at my field has ever seen one nor have they ever heard a small Cox engine run and we don't have any noise restrictions. I want that screaming bumble bee sound. I plan to put some small lightweight servos and receiver in it.
The problem is I don't want to get a loan from the bank to buy a small Cox engine, LOL.
I was looking at this one on Ebay. It looks new but like its covered in balsa dust. The guy said it was a .020 Tee Dee.
Could some of y'all look at it and see what you think?
One other question where can I buy glow heads for it. I'm just playing around with this Littlest Stick so I don't want to spend a ton of money but I do want to get it finished.
The ebay listing is here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thanks
Nick
The price is right so far It needs a clean-up but might be OK otherwise, some Cox .020 parts can be bought from Cox International. The Pee-Wee and TD .020 uses the same cyl/piston and also glow head:
http://coxengines.ca/cox-020/
The original manual from Cox is also here:
http://coxengines.ca/engine-and-fuel-guides.html
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,144 Posts
Yes you can still get spare .10 glow plugs It is a the rare .010 just dont tell him that lol...buy it first to confirm size. I compared to my .10's and .020 TD the screw groove in the tank matches the .010. The .020 is longer thinner in appearance. Interesting 3 fin glow plug.
Last edited by Amp Abuser; Jan 21, 2014 at 02:55 PM.