HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
6,316 Posts
Discussion
Running batteries in series..... Your thoughts

When running your high powered EDfs with two batteries in series, is it best to always keep those same batteries together for every flight or do you think mixing and matching is better?

For example: I have 4 4s batteries numbered 1-4 respectively. I always fly numbers 1 and 2 together and numbers 3 and 4 together. Each flight is always different.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,706 Posts
I wouldn't know why it would matter. Each and every cell is different and can perform differently. Lipo has no memory so everytime you charge and discharge is a new set of variables.

Keeping them in pairs would make it easier to keep track of things though.
tdford is online now Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:16 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,316 Posts
I always thought lipos in a way had memories. I was thinking that if a lipo packs IR started to get to high, it would tax the other lipo making it work harder. I figured if I was mixing that higher IR pack between two other packs wouldn't that just shorten the life of those other two packs? I figured that it would be better to doom one pack instead of two or more. What does everyone else do? Do they dedicate their packs in pairs or switch them around?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
I usually run 7S & 8S consisting of 2 3S & 2 4S packs so I'm constantly swapping them around depending which jet I'm flying. I bought all 4 at the same time, same brand same c rating and mah similar ir reading. Never an issue.

I think one pack or cell with high ir will suffer much worse then the other cells and will puff/overheat before the good ones.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bmiller; Nov 11, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:44 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
I would run a lipo battery monitor on each battery balance lead during flights. When any cell hits 3.3V (or whatever you decide the cutoff to be) you will hear the beeping.
You will always know when a pack is getting weak before it causes a complete battery failure.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:25 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,014 Posts
You can mix and match any combo of lipo as long as the volts match when you plug them in. Your limit will always be the worst pac..I have run pacs of diffrent capacity and it works as long as you dont go past the low volts on any pac.If you dont pay close attention the low pac will fail
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:42 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,215 Posts
u cant mix IR ratings, you cant mix C ratings, and running various mah size packs is very risky.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:50 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
I always keep a pair a pair. Easier to keep track of charging and cycles.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:28 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
6,316 Posts
I always use a timer, so I don't wait for the LVC to warn me to LAND! AHHHH! LAND!!!! LOL. As for what I do, I don't mix Mah Packs. That's a receipe for disaster in my book. I always keep mine in pairs, I was just curious as to what others do.

I'm not following the comment on not being able to mix different IR packs. Why not? Every pack has different IR. Maybe I'm not understanding.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,263 Posts
I use a synchronising charger - Hyperion Duo, 2 batts at the same time - all cells charged to the same voltage so at least they start off even. Mine are kept as pairs, but probably more out of superstition than any good reason on my part, and I time all flights.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:13 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
All of my 8s setups use pairs of 4s packs, they are numbered, and I do tend to keep pairs together. However, when I fly a 4s powered plane, I'll take whichever is handy and use it. Even if I use say 4 packs individually, they all even out on the charger and I am back to where I was. I just try not to use any one pack more than the others, and do keep an eye on the IRs from time to time.

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,333 Posts
My charger can charge, and balance (displaying all 14 cells present voltages as it goes along), two batteries in any combination up to 14S in series as if they were one. So I keep them together. Don't even have to remove the joining link when I take them out of the plane. But I do number them. But it would do unmatched 'sets' just as well.
Mark Powell is online now Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:20 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,631 Posts
Skylineflyer:
I always thought lipos in a way had memories.

Nope................lipos do not have memories.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:48 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965 View Post
Skylineflyer:
I always thought lipos in a way had memories.

Nope................lipos do not have memories.
They do remember if they have been abused!
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:29 AM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
They do remember if they have been abused!
Undeniable. They also remember just being used. Otherwise, they would last an infinite number of cycles.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1