HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:52 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
Build Log
guillows kit 402lc p-51 rc conversion

recently i built the kit 402 laser cut p-51 and converted it to rc. so I thought I would share the info on my build. I wanted to build the p-51 with retracts using the same motor,esc and battery as in my Messerschmitt BF109 kit 401.
here is the parts list.
motor- Gforce 2800kv 29g brushless outrunner
esc- 20amp hobbywing
battery - 800mah 20c 2s
rudder-4.5g micro servo
elevator-5g towerpro
ailerons-5g metal gear digital
reciver- gforce R-610

retracts eflite p/n-EFL606509 fot the sea fury 460
1- 5g towerpro servo to run the retracts

weight with battery 10.1 oz
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Last edited by meltor; Sep 15, 2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:16 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
I am doing this build as I like to.the model has been built and flown and is very air worthy. this may be the best flying guillows conversion that I have built so far.
I will try to stick to info and pictures please excuse the poor quality of some pics. but they are better than none. also please chime in and comment you are more than welcome as always.

the ailerons are just a little over sized and are run with sillivan golden cable and a 5g metal gear micro servo the same as I used in my kit 401 bf 109.
I just can't say enough about the fit and quality of this laser cut kit. I hope the pics will tell the story too.
the retracts were found at the hobby store with a 8 dollar price tag on them so I thought why not? they were originally bought for the bf109 but I gave up as there was just no way I could run them.just not enough room for the servo and control rods in the bf109. BUT I did see where they would have a real good chance in the p-51.
Last edited by meltor; Sep 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: info
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:00 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
just a few more quick pics of the retracts and wing.i was able to set up these retracts more or less as I did on my 56" great planes p-51 just on a smaller scale. more later.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 02:07 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,138 Posts
Looks great. I wanted to do a similar size Mustang but I couldn't find retracts that were light and reliable. I have never been able to get mechanical retracts to work well in my projects. Often they seem to operate reliably on the bench but in flight they fail to go all the way up or come back down well. Somehow the in flight forces seem to find all the weaknesses in a mechanical retract.

I will be watching to see how this turns out. Best wishes.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
thanks dave, these retracts work perfect every time on the gear channel but they snap up and snap down. I put them on the flap channel and slowed them way down and they really look scale but occasionally I need to do a roll to make them lock into the up position. bringing them down has been working great and locking into position.
I gutted the heck out of the fuse formers and as it turned out on the p-51 it was nose heavy so it may have helped a little in the over all weight but I really didn't need to on this one.
as it turned out the battery had to go right under the cockpit and the rudder and elevator servos as well as the reciver are just aft of the wing. the nose and motor location on the guillows p-51 puts that weight way out front and with the retracts and servo just forward of the wing chord .
I made the wing fairings/fillets with some super light worthless stringer material that came with one of these kits. I lightly soaked it and formed the fairings with 4 stringers and sanded them into shape. it worked slick.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:04 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
my cheap little spinner looked more the part for a p-40 than a p-51 so I rounded it a little and it helped with the profile. the canopy will be held with a magnet and act as the battery hatch.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
I kept everything light on this build with minimal planking and no wing spar that usually holds the wire for the fixed landing gear. i strengthened the wing and other areas with thin ca turning much of the balsa into plastic or fiber glass with minimal weight added. this has been very effective on other builds.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,008 Posts
Most people do not realize it but CA is one of the heaviest adhesives we use.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:09 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
well what ever the case planking or ca weight is the trade off for strength.this build came out @ 10 oz flying weight or AUW which I think is quite acceptable.

I wanted to paint the model silver with a black or olive sun screen but the silver looked poor. so I removed it from the top of the fuse,wings,and tail and went with the rustoleum dark forrest green a very good match for olive drab.
I used the kit decals and added some 50 cals to the wings.

I built this model to fly a lot. and I have been. occasionally the retracts don't go up all of the way without a roll to encourage them but I would rather have that than a buzzing servo to drain power and annoy me. gear down are nice and slow and lock into position every time.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:19 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
here is flight footage. I hope this info is helpful to others.

Guillows kit 402 P-51 Mustang RC conversion test flight (3 min 58 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:02 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
489 Posts
I’d like to try one of the Guillows planes, but the covering aspect of it gives me pause. Could you provide a little detail on the painting of Parklite please? Any surface treatment, does it hold up well to its’ regular missions?

Very nice work; 10oz auw is certainly impressive. I’m glad to hear that she’s a regular flyer too!

Thanks,
Doug
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Sep 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
thanks for the comment doug, the parklite works really easy for me. just wipe it down with windex so it is smudge and dust free and it paints well . I have used the testors enamel in the little bottles thinned and sprayed through an air brush with great success . also like on this one the rustoleum colors worked well right from the can. when I decided to go olive on the top of this one I used paper towel and carb cleaner and the silver wiped right off without harming the covering as it is fuel proof.on other models with poor results I have just wiped off all or the paint and repainted.
the only times there is an issue is when you try to tape lines or use tape in general you have to be carefull. on these lighter frames and tail surfaces they like to warp or potato chip.and then you just apply heat and pressure to straighten them out.
the paint holds up really well unless you scuff a wing tip or pile it in .then the paint will flake a little.
the decals that come with the kit are my worst problem as they will dry out and blow off unless you treat them.
go for it doug, these kits can be made into great flyers and the parts and accessories available now make it much easier than even a few years ago.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:21 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,138 Posts
Meltor,

I really like your build. I have a scratch built B-17F that is the same scale. I really want to make at least 2 of these so I can do some formation flying with a couple of Mustangs.

Anyway, I think you nailed the weight for this size plane. Even though the heavy sheeted ones I have seen built fly good, at 10 ounces yours ought to fly great.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:03 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
329 Posts
thanks dave, this build went really quickly with this being a laser cut kit. it was a real pleasure.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
597 Posts
Hi Meltor – super build, looks to fly beautifully, very enjoyable video – these Guillows laser cut kits are very good value and give modellers plenty of scope for RC conversion – as you suggest the array of modern electronics help to make it possible.
Best
Charles
Spitfire1954 is online now Find More Posts by Spitfire1954