HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2013, 05:26 AM
Warsaw & Gdynia, Poland
Joined Sep 2005
194 Posts
Discussion
Decent servos for a fair price

I've used many high end servos for indoor planes- hitec 5035/Jr 188/Futaba 3154/dymond d47, but they are at least $25+ a piece (I know that dymonds are for $20, but they are hard to get locally).
I have a lot of different projects for which I would like to get some cheaper servos and I have already tried a few and have been dissatisfied. What are your opinions for cheaper (up to 10-12usd a piece) digital (I know that d47 is not digital)servos? Max 7g of weight and preferably smaller (thinner) than HXT500.
Boogie3D is offline Find More Posts by Boogie3D
Last edited by Boogie3D; Sep 08, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2013, 12:07 PM
Paris, FRANCE
Joined Nov 2006
200 Posts
Indoor servo DSMS309

Hi,

I use last year at the WC and IITOP the Topmodel DSMS309.
In 4.8volt, it's perfect. Very fast (As fast as JR188) and very light (3.25g and 2.55g without wire and bottom case ;-)

Regards,
Nicolas
nicolas pietu is offline Find More Posts by nicolas pietu
Old Sep 08, 2013, 01:22 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
Nicolas, can they handle 2S direct?

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 08, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
FWIW, in Coburg the Japanese were using these, however they were not completely happy with the centering:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ni...5-p-48016.html

HK sells something that looks very similar:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23484

I have a few of each, but ran out of time last indoor season to do anything with them.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Sep 08, 2013, 02:01 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
828 Posts
The HK-5330 servos are great! I have only used them on minis. I would get a bunch of them, they get CA in them really easy when you glue them to the plane.

I am currently using them on my 32" pattern plane. They are working great!(on 2s)

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Sep 08, 2013, 04:10 PM
Warsaw & Gdynia, Poland
Joined Sep 2005
194 Posts
I should have mentioned that I was rather thinking about something for freestyle, I already have a good setup for F3P. I have an indoor flying wing which I got for tests and it needs something stronger than the ones mentioned.

Nicolas I have two of those servos for rudder and elevator for my F3P plane
I have those HK-5330 in my micro radjet and had 4 of those in a 50g Extra, which I have made. I was very happy with them, but they are not strong enough for 140-150g aeromusical planes. In those you need at least a 2kg*cm servo for ailerons(I use futaba 3154/3157), something fast for elevator(strong enough is JR 188/319) and good for rudder (Hitec 5035 is ok for just the rudder, but if using vector thrust you need 2 or one larger Futaba).
Old Sep 08, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
The only reason I looked at the NIne Eagles/HK servo I mentioned was because of weight.
Otherwise I am willing to pay for good servos. For my Arrow V6 I put in JR DS290 all around, per Donatus' recommendation. All on 2S direct. If I was going to do vector he suggested running the rudder one on 5 volts.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 03:44 AM
Paris, FRANCE
Joined Nov 2006
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Nicolas, can they handle 2S direct?

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
Some pilots use the DSMS309 in 2s but my opinion that is not good for the reliability.
So in 4.8volt the DSMS309 is already very quick.
nicolas pietu is offline Find More Posts by nicolas pietu
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:02 AM
Warsaw & Gdynia, Poland
Joined Sep 2005
194 Posts
I have ordered some gening 4.7g servos and will test them soon. For 11 USD shipped for each they may be a good choice.
Those servos have been used by a friend from Czech Republic and he is pretty happy with them.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined May 2012
33 Posts
Have you considered the tailservo of the Blade 340 3D ? A little bit heavier (not stripped), but faster than a DS318/118 and nearly as much torque on 4.8V.

1 centering precision accordingly to the specs of E-flite.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLRDS76T
HansL is offline Find More Posts by HansL
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:23 PM
Warsaw & Gdynia, Poland
Joined Sep 2005
194 Posts
But the price is 19USD and my goal was to find something much cheaper up to 10 USD.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
FWIW, finally got a quote back from Topmodel for shipping three of the DSMS309 servos to Canada. (Took them a week and a half to get back to me)

Three servos - 37.80 euros
Shipping - 45 Euros

Ridiculous, just had a bigger box shipped from Germany for 15 euros. Small boxes from England are a few euros.
For 45 they should be shipping overnight fedex.

I guess they, or erhaps the French postal system, don't really want to do international shipping.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:24 PM
rgj
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, finally got a quote back from Topmodel for shipping three of the DSMS309 servos to Canada. (Took them a week and a half to get back to me)

Three servos - 37.80 euros
Shipping - 45 Euros

Ridiculous, just had a bigger box shipped from Germany for 15 euros. Small boxes from England are a few euros.
For 45 they should be shipping overnight fedex.

I guess they, or erhaps the French postal system, don't really want to do international shipping.

Pat MacKenzie
I can get a smal box from HongKong to Norway cheaper that it will cost me to send a letter from me to my neighbour
rgj is online now Find More Posts by rgj
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgj View Post
I can get a smal box from HongKong to Norway cheaper that it will cost me to send a letter from me to my neighbour
Same here. Something is wrong when we in effect are subsidizing our major industrial competition with these ridiculous low rates for incoming goods while hammering us here at home. Not that I want to pay more for shipping stuff from China/HK , but fair is fair.

FWIW, I confirmed that the 45 euros is shipping only, not the total for 3 servos plus shipping.(which is about what it should be). Package from Germany had 5.5 euros as postage.
Are French postage rates that much more expensive, or is Topmodel just not interested in sales to North America?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2002
15,923 Posts
Thanks to a helpful PM I was able to buy some of the Topmodel servos from Aerobatics.be.

Much more reasonable shipping costs, and very prompt replies to my inquiries.

Pat MacKenzie