HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,368 Posts

http://modelyacht.blogspot.com.au/20...-national.html
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Last edited by waboats; Yesterday at 05:01 AM. Reason: 2014 RG65 Report of sorts :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,107 Posts
My local lake, on any given day is shared with sailboats, go fast boats(40-60mph), scale boats both electric and steam, as well as the ocasioal seaplane. As well as fisherman both on shore and on the water. All the guys seem to respect each others space and there have been very few crashes. When there is an organized regatta the lake is rented out, fisherman can fish on opposite shore, and no other boats on the water.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
109 Posts
Mainsail Luff Curve

Has anyone been experimenting with the shape of the main ? The stock sail, at least mine has a luff curve of about 4 - 4.5 mm located about 2/3 up. I've tried 5 - 6mm at about 1/2 the way up the sail. This seems too much as the mast needs a lot of backstay tension to bend to that curve and the stock sail may be too much. How much backstay tension is appropriate - I know it varies with wind speed, but ...I'm going to adjust the 4.5 mm sail to about 3mm. Before I do, I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Richard
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,728 Posts
The mast rake and Main luff curve has already been discussed. Before you go playing too much with back stay tension you need to control the Main tack with a loop or ring around the mast otherwise the tack pulls away from the mast until the cunningham is acting in two directions. Using no back stay tension at all it is possible to open and close the leech using the kicker and adjust the camber using the clew slider rings.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2014
74 Posts
Robert, I have done a search for rake numbers and have not found any.

I am wondering if people have measured mast rake. I measured mine from the bottom of the transom to the forestay fitting hole C/L. Has anyone else measured theirs like that?

Mine was 805mm, simply hooked a tape measure under the transom and measured up to the hole in the forestay fitting, with no backstay load. That is the A rig. The slider is about 3mm from the back. Seems to have a little too much weather helm but was easily cured with more twist in the mainsail. I saw on Facebook that some people have measured using that method but they have not posted numbers.

Speaking of tune, are there any numbers out there for the gap between the jib boom and mast when sheeted in, not C/L of boom to C/L of mast. Just the gap.
The Enigma is offline Find More Posts by The Enigma
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,728 Posts
I used a similar method- detailed in post 83
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=rake&page=6

It isn't the way it is done in the manual but it works for me
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May