Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:29 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,035 Posts
The motor/mix stuff makes sense, thanks

I just made a quick range test:

- builtin antennas (aka hanging wires), untunned
- I live in San Francisco and did the test where I could right now, aka even thus im near the water, the TX was in my apartment at the window (12 meters high, 200 meters from the sea, there are about 8 houses of the same height before the sea)
- I do not currently have a radio scanner so I used the license-free 467.587mhz starting freq
-I do not have the telemetry LCD monitor
- walked away until fail safe with the wing (RX)

Non-LOS, first fail safe at ~280m (measured with GPS). Could reproduce the fail-safe reliably.

I find it a little low but I probably should tune the antennas and try the other frequencies as well. I wish I had a scanner. Anyone in SF? :P

Going to fly it nevertheless tonight I think, just wont go far yet.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:59 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Why freq. in middle of FRS band ? It was set 427, the nunchuck normally outputs 25-40mW, With such low power I just pick any clean channel in 400-428.
LowPass filter in RFM22B modules takes 3-4 db away if going up from 433 MHz and there is no attenuation at if using lower frequencies.
With nunchuck alone,without repeater, you should be ableto fly 1km radius with 0.5w 2.4GHz vid.TX, I know for sure cause the receiver you got was removed from working wing -few videos in my youtube channel were ecorded with this RX.

When doing range check set Z4 (click Z 4times shortly), this will keep Nunchuck active, all other modes timed out in about 15-20seconds if stick hasn.t moved or no buttons were pushed the nunchuck goes into power save mode outputting only 2 packets per. sec (2Hz) instead of normal 270Hz
Could be it fell asleep while you walked range checking
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Last edited by fmkit; Jun 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,035 Posts
Alright I'll try. It's actually quite possible that it happened.
The freq i used is one of the lowest legal freqs (as in license-free) I could find that's why
Even at low power i'd rather scan. Military ships are well in range xD

I'm going to try to night-fly it now tho hehe.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:19 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,035 Posts
and i'm back. well, flying by night (the wing has leds) a tiny, light wing with strong wings, on a rc control system you haven't tried before ain't the brightest thing in the world... I know that

After a few attempts tho, it flew well. While filming at night just shows leds moving, I'll try to get it filmed during the daylight.

Here's my current feedback:

- I like Z3 a little better than Z2 on this wing in fact
- the gyro auto gain works very, very well. It flew on tracks. Did I mention <200gr and strong pacific wind?
- since there's no trim as far as i know, better get your screw driver or whatever you use to manually set the trims. The only solution I can see to that would be to implement auto trim (eg Z+C pushed = remember stick position as trim)
- flying with the joystick is natural and extremely, extremely easy
- managing the throttle is not natural and takes a little time to get used to, but, it's not that bad. I wish the motor cut was instant tho, specially during my first throws

Oh and best of all is I can carry it in my pocket, no bags, or bulky stuff. In fact I could even fly from my pocket as it's a little cold outside at night. So cool!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
- I like Z3 a little better than Z2 on this wing in fact
Z1/Z3 not normal modes, you have to move CG back or ncrease throws- move pushrods to outer holes of servo horns
Quote:
- the gyro auto gain works very, very well. It flew on tracks. Did I mention <200gr and strong pacific wind?
- expected ! the more you fly, gyros will make you lazy, you'll start flying ugliest palnes, why fix them if they fly good anyway ?
Quote:
- since there's no trim as far as i know, better get your screw driver or whatever you use to manually set the trims. The only solution I can see to that would be to implement auto trim (eg Z+C pushed = remember stick position as trim)
You can do that but only temporarily, enter 6.3.1 and hold joystick to compensate offset, say needed trim aileron right hold stick left while storing neutral. I will never implement auto-trim cause it will shrink available resolution, original Nintendo joystick has only 220-230usable counts (+/-115)
you have to adjust trims mechanically
Quote:
- flying with the joystick is natural and extremely, extremely easy
- managing the throttle is not natural and takes a little time to get used to, but, it's not that bad. I wish the motor cut was instant tho, specially during my first throws
Don't get used to shut motor off with Z1 command, whenever you need motor cut-off tilt hand down 1st then click if needed. When clicking nunchuck waits for inactivity then command is registered, When starting clicking nunchuck doesn't know 1st click was Z1 or is part of longer command.
Quote:
Oh and best of all is I can carry it in my pocket, no bags, or bulky stuff. In fact I could even fly from my pocket as it's a little cold outside at night. So cool!
In winter you'll like it even more while holding nunchuck inside sweatshirt pockets - no numb fingers, also when flying at beach peiple have hard time finding out who's controlling the plane.
Last edited by fmkit; Jun 15, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:14 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,035 Posts
that's right i started tilting down then Z1, but it's hard to get used to it (well i only flew like 30min so uhm )

I'll try the auto trim next time i forget my screwdriver its handy even if it lower the precision a bit. I gotta print myself a little card with all the codes.

I must agree the gyro made me lazy already. First few throws i had "not so good landings" while i was adjusting the trim, battery poped out a little, i didn't even put it back in "i'm sure it"ll fly straight" (and it did!).
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:24 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
remeber to take off in straight line, then gyros will help
if you start with swing then gyros may cause crash
look at my youtube videos- I hold the wing by its nose and let it go straight forward. almost no force.
skyfun beach (2 min 11 sec)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:32 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,035 Posts
yeah that's how i launched before too, except now i don't need to hurry on the sticks
in fact, i had a gyro on this wing before (some regular heli gyro) on the roll which helped, but it wasn't as fast as yours. also it was roll only so in the wind, even if it was better, it wasn't "on a rail" like it is now. it's amazing how easy it is to fly with it.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:46 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Well I'm in, just ordered Not really sure I've got the right parts, 1st pic and third pic on the ordering page sound right?

Mark
mark hitchman is offline Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:01 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
You'll get newer (v4) RX board (35X48mm)

now choose Mumchuck color - White,Black,Blue or Pink !
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:11 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
You'll get newer (v4) RX board (35X48mm)

now choose Mumchuck color - White,Black,Blue or Pink !
Awesome, I'll take black.

Thanks

Mark
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:01 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
Awesome, I'll take black.

Thanks

Mark
your set is packed and will ship in couple hours,
before I depart with such a good receiver I took picture and made video
to show FS and low (10.2 orless)battery. monitor in action.
Normal digital telemetry deliver lots of data but has limited range
while most important data (FS,Low voltage) always heard on 2-way radio and you can set it very loud. The walkie-talkie used also to locate downed plane (RF beacon built-into RX)
BTW, the receiver was pulled from the wing shown in post #4, the RX has about 15hours airtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAU5mGnXHFo
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:04 AM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,913 Posts
That is awesome that the receiver has a locator beacon built in.
What is the best or easiest way to get 20km range out of this system? I think I will be learning to fly with this system first on a small wing but eventually I would like to get more receivers and setup a long range plane. I presume a relay receiver with a directional antenna but maybe more power would be needed.
Can't wait to fly with this gear.

Thanks

Mark
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:03 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,550 Posts
Hi Mark,
shipped original Ninendo black nunchuck that was modified to work all frequencies (240-930.000MHz)
default TX/RX freq. is 427.562MHz
you can set New Zealand legal UHF CB Channel 22 and 23 (476.950 and 476.975):

below is picture of repeater,
there is no dedicated page yet
it looks like RF beacon but 2-way
If anyone orders beacon and puts note "repeater" I'll ship repeater
it has ouput power just little over 50mW but if placed high helps a lot
you can fly from inside car or couple floors underground with this repeater or put it as primary RX feeding PPM to MultiWii or other controller that takes PPM

Later I'll prep more powerful (10-15Wt) repeaters.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,035 Posts
i think a ~500mW or so repeater would be nice, 10-15W is a lot (or something you can setup), but 50mW is also not much.