HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,256 Posts
alex that is wicked, you gotta get a gun on that thing, it was hooning, definitely tree line ds world record! share this in a new thread so the big boys see it!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:46 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
1,922 Posts
Came across this video about a year ago. Wanted to purchase the kit, but they never answered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=r1d5ce0TgQ4
I think that is also treeline DSing.
This model is only a meter in span.
AeroNut45 is online now Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:19 AM
Evolution take time
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
4,810 Posts
Yes greats model Knut. He has to many orders in Europe to send any anywhere else. I've tried for years..

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:09 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,004 Posts
Thats cool as Alex!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:13 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
Man it was adrenaline pumping stuff when the wind got going! Launch is also very exciting haha. Landing was just easy =P
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
Putting it in the correct thread:

Got my hand catch in at the end of the video:

RT42 test flight and Tracer Light DS (4 min 11 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
Right, I am sick of watching the wind blow and being at work or having other things on.

Have taken the afternoon off work tomorrow to head up to Wainui. Has been too long since I have been up there.

Got to test out my new DX18 in the DS circuit
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Right, I am sick of watching the wind blow and being at work or having other things on.

Have taken the afternoon off work tomorrow to head up to Wainui. Has been too long since I have been up there.

Got to test out my new DX18 in the DS circuit
Will be waiting for the report, while at work.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,152 Posts
Good luck Alex! Hey Bernd is visiting CHCH next week so I'm hoping for a miracle that he gets to go out with you. It just needs wind, plus your availability, his availability etc! A long shot but it would be great. He's a keen gunner!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:34 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
That would be wicked Andrew. My local cell number is 027 341 3154, and I am on evening shift next week so can get up for a fly any day.

Could be some good DS next week. next Thursday or friday will be a great day to try out tekapo if he wanted to come for a drive. Let him know
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:29 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
Wow what a great day! Reason is NOTHING IS BROKEN!!!!!!

I have been trying to get two particular skilled individuals up the hill on a good day for many months now. SUCCESS! Both were available today.

I took a half day from work, and left at 11:30am and went to pick up Conrad, who had just got back from the F3J worlds in South Africa (8th place !!!! ), and packed his well-used Bee into the back. Need to get him something good. He is a very good pilot and have taken him DSing once before where he started to pick it up very fast.

Then off to pick up Andrew Palmer, who is one of the best RC Heli Pilots in the country, who has also represented NZ in F3A pattern. He has taken up sailplanes recently, as it is the only competition and action around these parts anymore. He had his first DLG comp two weeks ago in which he did well and picked things up very fast! Watch out for this guy!!!!! We packed in his Mini Ellipse and EPS chevron wing, both of which haven’t seen daylight in many years, so he told me. I told him you can DS anything and they will be fine, but had second thoughts after feeling how light they were!!

Off we went for the hours’ drive up to Wainui, talking planes and helis all the way. Reaching the way up to Wainui, we saw the hills covered in cloud. AHHH! A quick prayer and wishful thoughts and we arrived to find Wainui just in the clear, with cloud forming about 30m above the ridge top. WOO HOO!! 35kts too!!!

Unloaded the plethora of light models and a heavy, beaten D60, and followed Andrew up the hill to launch off his light EPS chevron wing which is about 20 years old! It was way too light several failed launches later we headed back down to chuck some weight on it. The only weight we had was my D60 ballast, so I had a quick fly of the D60 first, up to 280 something, landed and gave him the ballast from it. After adding enough tape, we chucked it off again with success! Out and up it went. Andrew took a few laps to get the idea and he was away. But unfortunately, I found a few laps later that it was just tape covered EPS. NO SPAR!!!! It stared fluttering so we called that model quits. he flew his mini Ellipse, but it fulttered at 83mph. Too light

Conrad, in the meantime, got his light Bee into the air and was attempting some circuits of his own. A little coaching and he was getting some good laps together. He pushed to 89mph but the model was too light. He landed and I attached my D60 ballast to the top of it. He went up again and the ballast made all the difference. He was putting in laps to be really proud of, finally getting to 97mph! We passed that transmitter to Andrew and he got some good laps in too, reaching 87mph. But unfortunately, the wing got a big centre section flutter and it must have weakened the whole thing as it then flutter most laps from then on. Just couldn’t get it to that magic three figure mark. Bummer, but still good speeds for a TOTALLY stock Bee.

I flew the new RT42, in it’s VERY light weight at 530gms! WOW what a plane! It bangs a turn harder than anything! I may make a mold for these I think! I got it to 173mph, and there is no doubt with more weight it would have done 200, but I built it for a light-medium air model. Last time I flew it was in 10mph winds!!!!! This was 40mph!!! Video tells more of a story of it.

Anyway, I was really impressed with Andrew’s and Conrad’s flying. I will build them up a couple of JWs if I can get some. Watch out for these two, they will be up there in no time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:34 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,152 Posts
173mph for the RT42?? You must have a dual layer quad core in your head to fly that thing Alex! Sounds like a heckuva lot of fun!!!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:23 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
lol!

But the thing is it was so light!!!!!

It got up to speed in about 2 laps!

Really fun to fly.

Have to upload video again, as upload failed
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:36 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,004 Posts
Nice one Alex! Glad to see you are getting some DS buddies!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:49 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,398 Posts
Still don't have regular keen DS buddies though. Those were the days
RCG Plus Member