GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
588 Posts
Happy Maiden Flight !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlmeyr View Post
Hi, Pohlmeyr
Looks Great ! Need to post your pictures on this thread so everyone can see.
Good Luck on your maiden flight. I know it will be good.
Keep Them Flying ! , Your new friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is online now Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:50 AM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
440 Posts
Thanks Ken!

With the recomended motor GWJ Black with a 4:1gb I was getting static thrust of around 21-22g/thrust @4v with the 3x2 prop. My all up weight is right at 32g, and she is ready for her maiden.
I used some craft store acrylic paint that i am not so sure is the lightest but the colors really come out.
http://www.winsornewton.com/products...crylic-colour/

I printed my own decals using some trasparent adhesive ink jet paper made by Grafix. I picked this up at the local Hobby Lobby. This stuff is clear not like the matte clear finish like the avery stuff.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...t-film-417162/

It has been many years since i built anything but i sure am liking this indoor cold season in the midwest.

I have another kit that i am thinking about powering with a small 2.5g brushless motor with.
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:27 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
800 Posts
Had the pleasure of meeting Ken at E Fest today! Nice guy, watched the mini Triton fly a few times. Iím looking forward in getting this one buttoned up and flying. Work and other commitments have delayed my maiden, But maybe next weekend???

Jim
pattypilot is online now Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:07 AM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2008
62 Posts
From the Flying Boat Era

I cut the tail myself. Everything else is pretty much stock. It is all painted in Sharpie. The foam pilot comes from Flyzone Micro Fokker. AUW is 31g, including the 150mah battery.
Haoyang Wang is offline Find More Posts by Haoyang Wang
Last edited by Haoyang Wang; Mar 06, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:24 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoyang Wang View Post
I cut the tail myself. Everything else is pretty much stock. It is all painted in Sharpie. The foam pilot comes from Flyzone Micro Fokker. AUW is 31g, including the 150mah battery.
Hi, Haoyang Wang
Your Triton looks great and I like the modifications of a pilot an vertical stab.
Have you given any thought to adding small verticals at the ends of the horizontal stab to match the center markings. I think you will still have plenty of rudder control with the single center rudder.
Let us know how it maidens and what you think of the kit.
Keep Them Flying ! Your new friend, Ken
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2008
62 Posts
Well, since this is an imitation to the plane in the movie Porco Rosso, winglets at the stab tips would not be scale-like. The new fin is taller than the original, which I hope will make up for the lack of finlets.

It maidened on Wednesday. This is my second Triton and it flies in the same way as my first one, which is a straight build. I reduced the elevator throw to 50% to make the flight smoother.

So far I have only hand-launched both Tritons. The motor is not powerful enough to rise off grass, and I have been unable to find a pond nearby to fly. (Once after the rain I found a large puddle. Unfortunately, at that occasion the wind kept blown Triton One to the edge of the puddle, and Triton One could not overcome the headwind to gain enough waterspeed for planing.)

The kit is beautiful, with the grooves and channels carved onto the thin depron sheets. I tried to carve a channel on my stab for the carbon rod, but my x-acto skill was no match to laser cutting, and that's why I did not post any close-up photos on the stab.

There is only one carbon rod to stiffen the stab and one plywood piece for the motor mount. The rest is all in foam! Beautiful.
Haoyang Wang is offline Find More Posts by Haoyang Wang
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoyang Wang View Post
"this is an imitation to the plane in the movie Porco Rosso, winglets at the stab tips would not be scale-like."
" So far I have only hand-launched both Tritons. The motor is not powerful enough to rise off grass, and I have been unable to find a pond nearby to fly."
Hi, Haoyang Wang
Oh ! I did not realize you was making a replica of the plane in the movie Porco Rosso. I guess I will have to hit the video store and see if they have that movie to rent.
Yes, grass will probable be a little to much drag to overcome with the 7mm motor. I don't know if wetting the grass down with a water hose would help, but you might give it a try. And if, you have some Rain-X, coat the bottom side of your plane also.
Your build looks Great !
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Last edited by Ken Spencer; Mar 11, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
800 Posts
Yes, she flys! And flys great. And yes,with the matched power combo, it will rise from concrete. A little packing tape to ease the friction, and she's off.
Will post video tonight.
Triton (0 min 0 sec)

Here you are!
Thanks Ken, She's a keeper.
pattypilot is online now Find More Posts by pattypilot
Last edited by pattypilot; Mar 30, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:13 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot View Post
Yes, she flys! And flys great. And yes,with the matched power combo, it will rise from concrete. A little packing tape to ease the friction, and she's off.
Will post video tonight.
http://youtu.be/9Y5PPOdvakE
Thanks Ken, She's a keeper.
Hi, Pettypilot
Your video looks great. Nice flying site. Wish we had one as big.
Very happy to hear that you enjoy the Triton design and kit.
Hope to see you again soon, Keep Them Flying ! , Your new friend, Ken