HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:45 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Discussion
R/C HELI Ground clearance - Landing gear - Underslung camera ?

Hi guys,

I've effectively built my (AP) Tricopter, however have a final challenge!...

The camera will be mounted under the frame, however this then requires more ground clearance, so the camera mount + camera aren't fouling the ground, before and after takeoff - while the Copter is on the ground !

So what landing gear ideas are you using to provide this additional ground clearance ?

I did buy landing gear designed for a large class R/C Heli, thinking this would be quite a big item, with space underneath once fitted for camera etc, however thats not the case - it still wont be "tall" enough!
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:44 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes View Post
Hi guys,

I've effectively built my (AP) Tricopter, however have a final challenge!...

The camera will be mounted under the frame, however this then requires more ground clearance, so the camera mount + camera aren't fouling the ground, before and after takeoff - while the Copter is on the ground !

So what landing gear ideas are you using to provide this additional ground clearance ?

I did buy landing gear designed for a large class R/C Heli, thinking this would be quite a big item, with space underneath once fitted for camera etc, however thats not the case - it still wont be "tall" enough!
Never used landing gear..... I just hand launch and catch....
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Hi Signguy, thankyou for your reply. Yeah, good point, if its a plane

However it is actually a Tricopter, therefore a little more tricky to hand launch and catch?
Nice to have the Copter setup and primed on the ground, then stand back and take her up. Especially when you have to play around with camera equipment on the craft each time, prior to the "flight" (or hover).

As the Tri frame is made out of " [ " shaped rods, I'm planning to cut and shape a few metal strips, that'll just be bolted to the frame and shaped underneath, to form Skids.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
.... LOL - Or perhaps I could hand launch the Tricopter into the air, using the same approach as a Boomerang !!

Big toss, and up she goes - now I just need to stop her spinning, bit of opposite cyclic, and bring her into a stable hover! Ahhh, easy.

Would certainly make on-board video fun to watch, if a little giddy!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
brisbane
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Long pool noodle legs
works for me and I have a short set of legs for when I just fly

my 2 cents
Rob
onlyifamppowered is offline Find More Posts by onlyifamppowered
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:48 PM
Gress Aero
Joined Jul 2009
466 Posts
Hi SkyEyes,

I use use these on my bicopters when slinging cameras underneath:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10019

and sometimes even these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10022

You'll have to cut the feet or grippers off your heli gear and then attach them to these struts - if you want skids.

All told, a relatively expensive solution compared to ~$12 for standard heli gear.

Gary
GaryGress_1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryGress_1
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:20 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes View Post
Hi Signguy, thankyou for your reply. Yeah, good point, if its a plane

However it is actually a Tricopter, therefore a little more tricky to hand launch and catch?
Nice to have the Copter setup and primed on the ground, then stand back and take her up. Especially when you have to play around with camera equipment on the craft each time, prior to the "flight" (or hover).

As the Tri frame is made out of " [ " shaped rods, I'm planning to cut and shape a few metal strips, that'll just be bolted to the frame and shaped underneath, to form Skids.
I hand launch and catch all my multicopter, tri's and quads. I wouldn't try it with a heli, but the multi's are pretty easy to catch. Just set them up close, at waist level. Apply just enough power to make it climb very slowly, walk under it and grab the center under the copter ( away from props ) Thats it, easy
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:41 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Stick legs is my preferred option

The hexacopter is still being built, but I literally finished building the undercarriage legs yesterday so I can post a better photo soon

Cheers!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster