HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which livery do you like most?
Travel Service (blue) 8 17.78%
Travel Service (white) 4 8.89%
Czech Airlines (new c/s) 15 33.33%
Holidays Czech Airlines 11 24.44%
Czech Airlines (old c/s) 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 06, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
A monster :-D

Hi again,
today, I created something, that kinda shocked me I tested one engine and A320 started to taxi at 1/4 of the throttle and at half of throttle it has pretty decent power
All with one engine and 3S battery. I fear what will come with two powered with 4S
Anyway, one engine running
A320 left engine run (0 min 14 sec)

Oh, and the engine is more red
awacsCZE is offline Find More Posts by awacsCZE
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 03:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,651 Posts
Very nice
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Hello again with update
The wings are partly covered now
Old Feb 16, 2014, 05:59 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,772 Posts
Great work! Looks like a lovely 320.
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Feb 16, 2014, 06:35 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Great work! Looks like a lovely 320.
+1,
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Apr 04, 2014, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Please help

Hello again,
today I finally prepared all wires and everything to test dual engines. Well, it didnīt go very well The sounds from the engines was awful, it sounded different, make terrible sounds and heated to the point I couldnīt stand the finger on it, the engine itself, wires between it were cool. ESC was a heated too, but less, than engine, again no wires were heated. Iīve got the connection which is attached on image. made from 4mm cables and connectors. It should be to precaution of one engine shutdown, while other opperate on different batteries. One ESC has the dissabled red wire rom Y cable. This strange behaviour occured with two engines connected, one engine, one ESC and different ones. Both did this. On 6.2.2014 I tested the engine on separate classic circuit and it worked perfectly. Only thing changed is the connection wires. But I canīt fugure what could be wrong with them to cause this massive failure and sounds. No burning smell occured nowhere. The engine has also higher pitch now when runing(but it could be running without propeller). ESC is 65 amp SBEC and it. Battery is Hyperion 3S 25C.
I am attaching videos of the problems and the february video to compare. Could you please help me? I am desperate and scared by those noises
February
A320 left engine run (0 min 14 sec)

Today:
A320 3 (0 min 33 sec)

A320 2 (0 min 11 sec)
Last edited by awacsCZE; Apr 04, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 03:44 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
818 Posts
Sounds like bad timing. It is possible the timing is set too high. It is also possible that with the propeller on the effect was not as severe.
SergeyK is online now Find More Posts by SergeyK
Old Apr 04, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
This, is, what is the ESC manual saying on the timing:

5. Motor Timing: 2°, 8°, 15°, 22°, 30°
2°, 8° – Setting for most of in-runner motors.
15°, 22° – Setting for motors with 6 or more poles.
30° – Setting for motors with more poles.
In order to reach high efficiency we recommend the Low timing setting for 2 pole motors (generally inrunners)
and high timing for 6 poles and above. 22°or 30° are values suitable for outrunners featuring
14 or more poles. Some motors require different timing setups therefore we suggest you to follow the
manufacturer recommended setup
Note: Run your motor on the ground first after making any changes to your motor timing!

So i set it to 15°, which was default and since that it wasnīt changed. Donīt know, if it is good or bad. The are wrote low for innrunners and higher for 6-poles. I have BL15 DF which is 6-pole innrunner
Last edited by awacsCZE; Apr 04, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:00 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
818 Posts
Try setting the timing 2°, see if the motor behaves properly. Test it with the blades on. Ideally, keep monitoring current consumption and thrust (or rpm) as well.
If it does work, try increasing timing to 8°.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 03:10 AM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Thank you, will try the 2°. I forgot to write, that I tried 8° and 22° and it didnīt help. It sounded only slower/faster.

If it wonīt work, could there be any other issue, what this could cause?
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:30 AM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awacsCZE View Post
Thank you, will try the 2°. I forgot to write, that I tried 8° and 22° and it didnīt help. It sounded only slower/faster.

If it wonīt work, could there be any other issue, what this could cause?
Hard to say. Bad bearings, loose magnets, spinning too fast for the given ESC, short in the motor windings.

You would have approach the problem methodically.
You said it worked before, and now it does not work without the blades. So the natural question is whether it will start working again with the blades on.
Other test could be to try to separate the components and test them in another known system. E.g. try the ESC with another known good motor, try the motor with another known good ESC, etc.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyK View Post
Hard to say. Bad bearings, loose magnets, spinning too fast for the given ESC, short in the motor windings.

You would have approach the problem methodically.
You said it worked before, and now it does not work without the blades. So the natural question is whether it will start working again with the blades on.
Other test could be to try to separate the components and test them in another known system. E.g. try the ESC with another known good motor, try the motor with another known good ESC, etc.
I will try it with the blades, but it sound strange, that missing blade would cause this
The other different thing is the connection. On working it was connected like in this attachement. Could that be the problem?

I have two engines and two ESCs, both same and one worked before. One is brand new. Both doing this separately on each other.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 12:46 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,354 Posts
It almost sounds as if a bearing is missing, or perhaps a magnet is loose from overheating....
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Apr 05, 2014, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Well I tested it.
2° timing didnīt help. Engine outside the EDF danced like a crazy monkey
A320 4 (0 min 19 sec)

But then I put the the blades on. Well it shocked me, it works!! I didnīt believe it. It sounds normal, run fast, smooth. At least the right engine. The left one sounds bit weird and rattle. Will send it back and see.
Right with blades on
A320 5 (0 min 56 sec)

Left with blades on, strange sound of init, like with cold
A320 6 (1 min 2 sec)

Both engines, you can hear left engine rattle.
A320 8 (1 min 12 sec)

It looks like the engine has so much power without blades, it converts it to the movement. I donīt get it
Last edited by awacsCZE; Apr 05, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 06:06 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,786 Posts
Well theres you solution!
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith