HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:03 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
not much progress this week just a couple of renderings to work out the color scheme.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Last edited by JayJay76; Mar 30, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:29 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,636 Posts
Nicely balanced design, Lepinske, I think you've got it---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
Thanks Kapitan! I was going to plot the patterns and begin hand-cutting the parts tonight but instead I think we will mill them on our CNC machine so I will redo the layout and make the tool paths, and hopefully cut it all in one go friday afternoon. Depending on how she comes out I might try making a few 'kits' of version 2.0

j
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,280 Posts
I'll second Kapitans' comments. It looks like a runner up to a Springer in simplicity and popularity. I was wondering what size the model will actually be when finished?

BTW, I want one!!!!!!!
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:35 AM
Call me Mad Hatter
Joined Jun 2007
427 Posts
That is an interesting site, thank you for mentioning it.
Here is a book I've been reading:

Ulrasimple Boat Building by Gavin Atkin.
I'd probably be interested in buying one of those kits too.
Ford_63 is offline Find More Posts by Ford_63
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:49 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp View Post
I was wondering what size the model will actually be when finished?
Just a smidge over 21" long, 10-3/4" beam.

I'm waiting on the speed 600 and mount to determine whether or not the box keel needs to be widened a bit. major rework but what can you do..

the motor itself will fit but the mount might be too wide. Can anyone point me to some alternate motor mounting methods? Needs to allow room around the can for a water cooling spiral.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
nevermind I have the motor and mount in hand, they will fit just fine, and to solve the problem of how to mount it with the cooling coil I just flipped the mount around so the flat part with the screw holes protrudes under the universal joint, this fits in the current design and from a structural standpoint I can't see any disadvantages. I'll add this to the plans and post updated renderings tonight or tomorrow.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 04:14 PM
Call me Mad Hatter
Joined Jun 2007
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlepinske View Post
Can anyone point me to some alternate motor mounting methods? Needs to allow room around the can for a water cooling spiral.
The method I was planning on using since the motor fits snugly in the bottom is to use two beads of silicone caulking, it should hold it and easy to cut it out if needed. For water cooling I usually just run a copper tube over the top and put the hoses up to it and tape it down. Maybe not the greatest method but it's easy.
Ford_63 is offline Find More Posts by Ford_63
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:23 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
I re-worked the box keel to allow 9mm thick motor mounting rails, this plus 1.5mm ply bottom sheeting should be sturdy enough.

Right now it looks like 5 sheets of 630x310 ply are needed. This seems awfully expensive to me and it will take a long time to mill 5 sheets so I think i will cut it all on a band saw and clean up with a stationary belt sander. I might rework the design to shrink it down a few inches in the next version.

The ultrasonic fog unit I plan to put in the base of the stack needs 24 volts, and my motor system is set up to run on 6V so i need to figure out a voltage multiplier...

Here is a rendering on rough seas to test if she's "salty" enough. Still needs tires and more scale details but I think its looking good already.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:04 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
I started to worry about it being too large at 52cm long so I scaled it down a bit to 45cm total length to save a little wood, and ended up with a major rework when the 6V 4,5Ah batteries no longer fit between the bulkheads and the box keel needed widening and deepening to fit the speed 600. Once that was finished up I went in to work and plotted out a set of patterns and started cutting out all the 3mm parts from 2 sheets of ply, but before I could finish, the blade on the bench-top band saw snapped and so I tried to finish up on the huge floor-standing saw. The blade was so wide I couldn't cut curves and the cuts I made across the surface grain left lots of tear out on the backside of the parts. Now that I have the basic hull framing slotted together I think 45cm (18") is too small!

Now to order 2 replacement sheets of 3mm ply and a new blade for the band saw, then I can start all over!
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:00 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
After the band saw disaster and the resultant tearout, I looked into having the parts laser cut. But for that price I would rather buy a basic scroll saw and do it myself. So after convincing the house committee on ways and means that it is a worthwhile investment, I managed to earmark a little pork-barrell budget and proceeded to order one of these http://www.proxxon-tools.com/tools/P...E_Fretsaw.html

I probably won't be able to consider kitting anything until I find a reasonable laser cutting service but this little saw will keep me up to my elbows in bits of lite ply so development and testing can continue.
Last edited by JayJay76; Apr 05, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:22 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
Looks like it's coming along nicely. After looking at the picture of the full size for so long and thinking that they are real neat. I might have to build one. I don't think that I will go with the keel that you are using. I would go with the flat bottom like the full size.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Apr 06, 2011, 12:10 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
Well as most of you know I get side traked pretty easy. so I did the drawing for the Micro tug. Found one I liked called the sweety, but I am making it an in board.
jlepinske like I said no keel. But I am not sure of the colors yet. This also lets me use more of the scrap around my shop.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Apr 06, 2011, 03:37 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp View Post
I'll second Kapitans' comments. It looks like a runner up to a Springer in simplicity and popularity. I was wondering what size the model will actually be when finished?

BTW, I want one!!!!!!!
There now are you happy? you've gone and distracted gill from his 915 running models and now he's on his way to designing RCG's Next Top Model!
Last edited by JayJay76; Apr 06, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 03:08 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
921 Posts
A couple more renderings while I wait (im)patiently for my Proxxon scroll saw to arrive.