HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Discussion
ParkZone Ultra Micro - T-28 Trojan vs P-51

Hello,

I have been looking at these 2 airplanes and I cant decide which one to get.

What I have researched is that the T-28 is easier to fly, land, and is more for beginner - intermediate. The P-51 is more responsive, harder to land, and is for experts.

I have been leaning towards the T-28 because I have only flown a couple times. Has anyone compared these and have a preference or comparison.
Are any of you a Trojan Man.
DensoYamaha41 is offline Find More Posts by DensoYamaha41
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:56 PM
The trees are my hangar
Jamaica, NY
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
Well the t-28 is considered to be the easier flyer but it really matters what you want because there were some success stories of beginners and the p-51. How experienced are you at flying because some of these 4ch can give a bad taste to a beginner that has never flown a rc plane ?
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer921 View Post
Well the t-28 is considered to be the easier flyer but it really matters what you want because there were some success stories of beginners and the p-51. How experienced are you at flying because some of these 4ch can give a bad taste to a beginner that has never flown a rc plane ?
I fly a lot of 4 channel helicopters. I do not like the single rotors, because to me they are way too touchy for my taste, more stressful than fun flying than a coaxial heli. I have flown several planes a couple of times, but it has been a few years.

Is the P-51 controls more touchy than the T-28?
I just want to have fun and be able to do some cool tricks.
DensoYamaha41 is offline Find More Posts by DensoYamaha41
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:21 PM
The trees are my hangar
Jamaica, NY
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
If you want a relaxing plane both the t-28 and the p-51 are not very relaxing as I find it. I think you are better off with the Hobby Zone Champ because it floats better and is very crash resistant and later on you can mod it to become four channels. The t-28 is usually easier to fly after you iron out your flying skills with the champ which is like 90 $ RTF my hobby shop took out the transmitter and gave it to me "BNF" for 70 $ so maybe you can get a good deal on it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4900
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921
Last edited by omer921; Jan 03, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Dec 2010
10 Posts
I have flown both the UM P-51 and UM T-28. If you want to do more aerobatics I would go with the P-51 which I believe you could fly as a beginner on low stick rate. However as a beginner I would have been far more comfortable with the T-28. I find it to be far less twitchy than the P-51 but it still has the ability to do mild aerobatics out of the box. I also prefer the tricycle landing gear. If you are really new with RC planes go with the T-28.
airlinerlover is offline Find More Posts by airlinerlover
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
If you've only flown a couple times, get the Champ. After you've flown it a couple hundred times, get the T-28.

The T-28 is easy to fly, but a beginner to planes shouldn't skip over the Champ.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:31 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DensoYamaha41 View Post
Hello,

I have been looking at these 2 airplanes and I cant decide which one to get.

What I have researched is that the T-28 is easier to fly, land, and is more for beginner - intermediate. The P-51 is more responsive, harder to land, and is for experts.

I have been leaning towards the T-28 because I have only flown a couple times. Has anyone compared these and have a preference or comparison.
Are any of you a Trojan Man.
Do you have any airplanes? It not then I reccomend the champ 3 channel. The 4 channel micros can be a handful for beginners.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:02 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
I fly a lot of 4 channel helicopters. I do not like the single rotors, because to me they are way too touchy for my taste, more stressful than fun flying than a coaxial heli. I have flown several planes a couple of times, but it has been a few years.

The Trojan is a far more relaxing flyer than the P-51D. If you've got a lot of 4-channel coax experience under your belt, you've probably already learned about orientation and can probably step up to the Trojan. Just keep it in low rates and practice flying regular circuits until you're comfortable with keeping it in the air. When you're ready for more advanced stuff, the Trojan will do all the basic warbird aerobatics without being nearly as high-strung as the Mustang is.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:54 AM
Joined Jul 2006
505 Posts
Quote:

Depends on the Tx. With stock Tx the T-28 fly easier. If you have a DX6i then you can configure Expo which make all planes a lot easier. With Expo i find the P51 and also the Su26 not difficult.

For the stock Tx and a beginner is the T-28 the best 4 channel plane.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:27 AM
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Dec 2007
425 Posts
you want a fun plane to start out on get the flyzone albatros. more durable than the T-28. just make sure all the wing/wheel struts are properly glued.
twinprop is offline Find More Posts by twinprop
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:46 AM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Micro Champ or Micro Piper Cub J3 ? They look so similar !
Camboui is offline Find More Posts by Camboui
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:23 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camboui View Post
Micro Champ or Micro Piper Cub J3 ? They look so similar !
Champ is way better than the cub. No comparison.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:41 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,487 Posts
I have an UM J3 Cub. It's a great little plane that's easy to fly. But it's smaller then the Champ and gets tossed around quite easily in the wind. If I had the choice, I would have bought the Champ first.

If I were to recommend something for a newbie, buy the Champ. When you get more experienced, buy a T-28 BNF as a 4ch trainer. The TX from the Champ will work with the T-28 so you don't need to buy another!
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:02 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,053 Posts
I learned 4-channel control from flying the Blade mSR with a Spektrum DX6i. I tried planes on the Sim, and it came quite naturally. I got the BnF P-51 as my first plane, before the T-28 came out. I really believe the stock crappy RTF Tx is the weakest link. With a decent Tx, you can learn to fly anything.

Either one seems suitable for the purpose. There's a good chance it will sustain some damage before you fully master it anyway. By then, your tastes may change. It took me 5 months to destroy my P-51, but then I built a fresh one with mods, and a Sukhoi SU-26XP to move up to a new challenge.

I find the Mustang very relaxing to fly around slowly, as long as you remember to juice the throttle in the turns.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:14 PM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
I have an UM J3 Cub. It's a great little plane that's easy to fly. But it's smaller then the Champ and gets tossed around quite easily in the wind. If I had the choice, I would have bought the Champ first.

If I were to recommend something for a newbie, buy the Champ. When you get more experienced, buy a T-28 BNF as a 4ch trainer. The TX from the Champ will work with the T-28 so you don't need to buy another!
Thanks.
Given I have a Tx from the mCX and now also a DX6i I decided for the J3 Cub, about 20 cheaper in BNF as the Champ isn't available without Tx I think. I would not buy anymore from horizonhobby with a Tx (shelf is starting to get overbooked with chargers).
I did a first fly with it, seems ok to begin with.
Camboui is offline Find More Posts by Camboui