HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:21 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Apr 2014
223 Posts
Usually products like glue are re-branded. If you can figure out what Foam Tac really is, you could buy generic for a fraction of the cost.
AELLC is online now Find More Posts by AELLC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:36 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
652 Posts
i love glue.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:08 PM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
1,855 Posts
I got my joiners, GassPasser.
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Planes
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:39 PM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
I'm not worried about the wires. More concerned about r&r a servo. I was thinking in terms of gluing in some wood in order to mount the servos from the outside with screws. As I recall that is the way a previous owner of a beat up Cub I had did it.
I know as you read this thread you will see guys doing all kinds of stuff but there is no need to over engineer these kits. I know that some add large motors and need reinforcement for these (why they would do so I have no idea , it is a cub for goodness sakes) but it is their choice.

Ken
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Ok, I got a nice brand new FC kit. Having a new plane instead of buying used and manky has beens will be nice. I like the precision of the parts but don't think I like having to install servos in the body before joining the two halves. Any solutions to that?
No need to install the servo first. I have built 3 Fun Cubs and waited until the fuse was glued together before installing them. The tape and hot glue trick works well.

When you glue the fuse halves use lots of med ca and no kicker. Clamp the fuse halves over night for a full cure. If you do not use enough ca to completely cover the surfaces the fuse will be subject to flexing and vibration.
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:09 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
i love glue.
So do I....

I love Gorilla glue and Foam Tac too. I understand Cracksmeup's position though. I've just about replaced foam tac with BSI's version. It seems to be working perfectly for how I use foamtac.

For the previous servo question....Good idea inserting wood and screwing them in. Nothing wrong with that. But, you can use Foam Tac or BSI and achieve what you're after. If you apply these liberally enough, they hold well, but allow you to remove the servos later without damaging the foam. Lots of previous posts about this.

Gorilla glue is awesome stuff. It bridges the gap between epoxy and glue in my experience. I use when I need a strong bond. Even for motor mounts. I prefer the white fast reacting type. I'm able to wipe away the ooze after about 5 minutes and then I'm good to go with no further mess.

Gorilla glue has a 300% expansion. If you still want a PU glue minus the mess, use Elmers Glue all max. It's the same thing as Gorilla, but with only a 100% expansion. It's not white, so beware the color.
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:12 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I know as you read this thread you will see guys doing all kinds of stuff but there is no need to over engineer these kits. I know that some add large motors and need reinforcement for these (why they would do so I have no idea , it is a cub for goodness sakes) but it is their choice.

Ken
dacaur can give you a good argument for one particular reinforcement
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:16 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
Joined Apr 2013
1,582 Posts
Gabe-Lane-
I flew everything I have tonight! Well, except the slimer. Hope you guys did too! Wind finally gave way to a great evening in Nashville (assuming it did for you also). Was only intending to fly a couple batteries on my way out of town, but ended up flying til dark and unfortunately just made it to the hotel in Chattanooga. I have a trunk full of planes and intend to fly all day tomorrow as long as I can find a soccer field or the like.
Even when I have the chance to fly everything in my hangar, the FC is still the one putting the biggest smile on my face!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:31 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
1,855 Posts
I just now got in from flying my night flyer myself. I had a few things to do this afternoon, so I just got in and sent it up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:43 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouser View Post
Guys, we've got a nice club in Memphis. Might be nice middle ground to meet up!
Www.memphispropbusters.com

Grouser
Do you have any fun flys coming up? I would love to come.

I have a 3 acre lake and nice grass landing strips in my "back yard" but I have never found anyone here who can teach me how to fly. So, I learn by crashing and rebuilding. If anyone ever wants to come here and fly, they are always welcome.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:03 PM
Tree hopper
Joined Sep 2013
1,855 Posts
Tom don't make me come down there. What radio system you got??
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:27 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
Joined Apr 2013
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
Do you have any fun flys coming up? I would love to come.

I have a 3 acre lake and nice grass landing strips in my "back yard" but I have never found anyone here who can teach me how to fly. So, I learn by crashing and rebuilding. If anyone ever wants to come here and fly, they are always welcome.
I may take you up on that one day. I recently picked up the state of AR. I try to go a week at a time every other month. I can't find much to do outside of Little Rock and hot Springs. I usually make little rock home base for the week and take day trips to all 4 corners.
I always have my SS and a few scratchbuilds in tow on the lookout for an accessible field. Would love to throw the FC in the mix if I had a place to fly it out there.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:32 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AELLC View Post
Usually products like glue are re-branded. If you can figure out what Foam Tac really is, you could buy generic for a fraction of the cost.
Look for foam tac like glue made by Bob Smith Industries, much cheaper and seems to be just as good.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

Ken
Ken, yes it is a cub type plane. That you are very rite my friend. As far as adding "large motors", well they have their merit. My motor is large enough to haul around a 4000mah 4s battery and fly in any wind I dare. It makes for a great tow plane and adds near unlimited aerobatic capability. I cant imagine flying this plane on anything smaller than a 20 size motor. Even with a big old motor the Fun Cub still floats around like a Cub but nail the throttle and you have instant Fun Cub. I agree that the plane needs no mods but I like a large motor.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:02 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,350 Posts
+ for big motors

Funcup towing 3,8 meter Wiesel. (1 min 49 sec)

My Playlist with Funcub towing videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...D5tVXsDMt9HC4k

Cheers
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN