HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,300 Posts
What voltage reading are you talking about?

Myself and other have reported our tx voltage display to be accurate.

My telemetry is a little off but that could be where I am tapping in for voltage connection.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
TX batt
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:33 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,300 Posts
Pretty sure you can send it in for service to have them calibrate it for you if this is something that is annoying to you that much.

Others simply adjust the alarm accordingly.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,354 Posts
I popped the HK LiPo in the back of mine... couldn't be happier. Charge once a month, reads 8.2 volts once the blue light goes out. At the field lasts all day, barely dropping.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Pretty sure you can send it in for service to have them calibrate it for you if this is something that is annoying to you that much.

Others simply adjust the alarm accordingly.
I know. I was being facetious, hence the smiley.

And, no, they probably won't calibrate it. I actually asked a while back when I called about something else. They said it would be most likely be sent straight back with the work order saying nothing was adjusted and the TX was within specs (+/- 0.3V).
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,300 Posts
Like I said, if it is something that is bugging the owner of a radio that is showing a high voltage difference. Pretty sure they could have it serviced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
... If you ever send your radio in, such as for an annual checkup, you should put in a note asking them to be sure to calibrate the battery voltage for you. They have the tools to do it properly and with no danger to the modelers.
Andy
But like I also said, many just opt to adjust the alarm setting and are ok or don't care what the actual numbers are displayed.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,915 Posts
Picked up a DX-8 over the weekend, hopefully I haven't made a mistake

Is there any way to enable seperate flight mode trims (rudder / aileron / elevator) activated by the flap switch rather than the flight mode switch? On first and second glances this does not seem to be possible, I know I can move the flap switch functions to the F mode switch and get the seperate trims but I'd rather keep the switchology the same way I have on all my other radio's which is flap on the second in switch above the throttle stick with seperate trims for each flap position. I fly complex flap equiped planes pretty much exclusively...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Like I said, if it is something that is bugging the owner of a radio that is showing a high voltage difference. Pretty sure they could have it serviced...
Regarding your quote from Andy, how about getting it right from the start? Also, that still does not invalidate what I was told about it being sent back unadjusted. Would someone send it in for that issue and not include a note in the work order they'd have to fill out anyway? Of course someone not, so that goes without saying.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:06 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,635 Posts
Quote:
But like I also said, many just opt to adjust the alarm setting and are ok or don't care what the actual numbers are displayed.
Spektrum certainly doesn't seem to care what the numbers show. I'd hate for them to be making precision instruments when they can't be bothered to even properly adjust these before they are sold.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
That does sound hard. A properly calibrated DX8/10 voltage reading should be much easier and not have a 0.3V error said to be "within specs".
Yes if Spektrum can't even show accurate voltage, god knows what mess they would make of mah. It seems bizarre how they market the radios as these high end devices then make excises when things don;t work as expected. Bit more effort into QC and less into marketing perhaps.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Yes if Spektrum can't even show accurate voltage, god knows what mess they would make of mah. It seems bizarre how they market the radios as these high end devices then make excises when things don;t work as expected. Bit more effort into QC and less into marketing perhaps.
That's what I don't get about these higher end TXs in their line-up. I've had some pretty cheapo TXs over the years with digital voltage readings (including a junk Spektrum RTF kit TX) and they read dead on when fully charged. Read right on with new disposable AA batteries, too.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
That's what I don't get about these higher end TXs in their line-up. I've had some pretty cheapo TXs over the years with digital voltage readings (including a junk Spektrum RTF kit TX) and they read dead on when fully charged. Read right on with new disposable AA batteries, too.
My DX8 & DX18 all read 8.4v when the blue light goes out indicating fully charge. If yours does not, send it to HH for service and have it calibrated. If one tech told you differently then speak to another until you get one that says they will do the work. When you do send it the radio include a note as to why you sent the radio for service.

Posting here won't get it calibrated any better or faster.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
My DX8 & DX18 all read 8.4v when the blue light goes out indicating fully charge. If yours does not, send it to HH for service and have it calibrated. If one tech told you differently then speak to another until you get one that says they will do the work. When you do send it the radio include a note as to why you sent the radio for service.

Posting here won't get it calibrated any better or faster.
Why should one be out the money, packing/shipping time and their TX for who knows how long for something they should (and obviously can) have gotten right from the beginning? I don't know about you, but I don't consider the DX8 to be a junk TX and little things like this do nothing to help Spektrum's reputation, either. It only adds to the much larger issues that anyone can read about virtually anywhere on related forums.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:34 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,300 Posts
I'm just glad my company isn't into making tx, we have a 8-10% tolerance for errors.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
I'm just glad my company isn't into making tx, we have a 8-10% tolerance for errors.
So I can avoid it...what company and what do you make?