HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:21 AM
Journeyman re-kitter
San Diego, Cali
Joined Oct 2003
50 Posts
How do I get started making videos????

I'm not sure if this is where to post this, but it's the best I could find being as tired as I am. Can anyone point me to a "how to" website (how explain here how to) for getting the video from my mini dv cam (sony dcr-trv19) to my computer (PC) with sound? I've used the bundled software that came with the camera, but no sound comes across when doing a USB xfer and the picture quality is terrible. Must I get a fire wire card to xfer the image to the PC with sound and quality?

Also, I'd like to get info on converting from dv to different computer video types (like avi, mpeg, etc.) and then to dvd or at least vcd.

Thanks
John
inSANe DIEGO is offline Find More Posts by inSANe DIEGO
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:36 AM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Audio (7)
The DCR-TRV19 is not designed for sound quality. Despite minimal motor noise, the mike is tiny and sounds tinny. One would be remiss not to invest in the external microphone, which attaches to the camcorder's hot shoe. Unfortunately there are not many recording options either, multiply channels for adding sound or voice over in post just aren't offered.
Found that on the web
When you capture the video to your PC what format is it? AVI?
As for free software i've had allot of luck with MoviemakerXP
what software are you using to capture the video now?
What are the specs on your PC?
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:06 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
John,

I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder, and I'd highly recommend a firewire card, especially if your pc is fairly new and you have an extra PCI slot to install the card into. They are cheap and the data transfer is MUCH faster than with a USB connection. To be honest, I didn't even use the software that came with the camcorder. As Skrogg mentioned, I also use Windows Movie Maker, which is a free download from the Microsoft website, is easy to use and works great. The review I just finished that is on the Ezone has some videos I made with my camcorder and the firewire card:

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4947

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:08 PM
Journeyman re-kitter
San Diego, Cali
Joined Oct 2003
50 Posts
Well, for some reason my computer isn't even recognizing that I've hooked the camera up to it with the USB cable. I'm suspecting that when the ccd blew it was because of disconnecting the USB incorrectly and it also damaged the USB port somehow. I've since gotten the camera fixed, but maybe the USB port was missed. When the computer was "seeing" the camera I was using Pixela Image Mixer to capture the video. It never did seem to work correctly and the sound never came across. I guess I'll go the firewire route. How much would a card run me and is there a specific one you recommend or are they all the same? My laptop may already have one in it. Trying to find out about that. If it does I guess I can capture to it then xfer the file to my desktop to burn the dvd.

Thanks
John

Is there anything else I would need to get other than a FW card and cable? Does Moviemaker recognize the format coming out of the cam?
Last edited by inSANe DIEGO; Dec 07, 2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:17 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Most DV cameras have 2 outputs, a USB connection and a Firewire connection. The USB conection is for downloading still photos from the SD chip or Memory Stick. The Firewire connector is for downloading the video from the tape. Make sure you are not trying to plug your USB cable into the Firewire output.

Firewire is truly the only right way to go when downloading video. The PC will recognize the camera and you can control the playback from a little interface on the PC via the firewire connection.

You can get a firewire card for your PC for $20.00 or less if you do not already have one.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:54 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Go get some "good" software. My current pick is the latest version of Pinnacle Studio. It will manage the download and editing. Go ahead and spend the bucks for a full (not bundled) version.

That being said, all video editing software is buggy, flakey, prone to crashing, memory hogging and frustrating. You just have to get used to it.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 07, 2005, 02:00 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Go get some "good" software. My current pick is the latest version of Pinnacle Studio. It will manage the download and editing. Go ahead and spend the bucks for a full (not bundled) version.

That being said, all video editing software is buggy, flakey, prone to crashing, memory hogging and frustrating. You just have to get used to it.
Mabey for you
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Dec 07, 2005, 02:04 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
Except Sony Vegas Video. IMO the best video editing suite ever written. It's rock solid and then some.

I think there's also a consumer version available you might want to check out.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...code=3144-3000
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
Old Dec 08, 2005, 07:57 AM
Louisville KY
Joined Nov 2004
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridim
Except Sony Vegas Video. IMO the best video editing suite ever written. It's rock solid and then some.

I think there's also a consumer version available you might want to check out.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...code=3144-3000
I second that. I downloaded the $100 version from the Sony website and ordered the optional cdrom for S&H as a back-up. Totally satisfied customer. My pre-teen son also figured it out and made a good video with almost no help from me. Tons of features like fades and transitions. Interface is fast and almost bullet-proof. Never hung or crashed. Note: Computer specs make a difference. Mine is a 2.4GHz P4 laptop with 128M video RAM, 512M RAM, GeForce video chip.
podavis is offline Find More Posts by podavis
Old Dec 08, 2005, 10:16 PM
Journeyman re-kitter
San Diego, Cali
Joined Oct 2003
50 Posts
Well wouldn't ya know it...

I took a closer look at my puter and it already has a 4 pin firewire in it. DOH! Dumb I've only had the thing for four years and the cam for two. I could have been doing this stuff for a while now! Ok. I'm looking at possibly making the switch to the other guys in Mac land. What are the top video editing programs for a mac that are at consumer price level?

As for this puter (PC) I think I'll stick to something basic so I don't throw money at something that I won't be using for photography and such. I looked at the Microsoft site for Movie Maker and found v2.1. Are there any effect filters by Microsoft or interest groups for it? Mainly looking for something to make it look like vintage film. Maybe even with the scrape lines like in film reels from elementary school.

Thanks
John
Old Dec 08, 2005, 11:27 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inSANe DIEGO
Mainly looking for something to make it look like vintage film. Maybe even with the scrape lines like in film reels from elementary school.
Check out this video http://www.e-flightline.com/multipod.htm click on the old plane on the lower right. Very well done oldie video.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff