SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:49 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Help!
Cellpro Multi4 NiMH/NiCd Trickle Charging

I found this note below from Tim in another thread, and I wanted to follow up on this.

I am running firmware 1.70 (newest I believe). It is still not possible to adjust trickle rate beyond 100mA without a PC. A trickle limit of 100mA seems unusably low, given today's NiMH/NiCd pack capacities of 3000mAh and beyond.

Is there newer firmware available that would allow using the full 5mA-300mA trickle range directly on the charger? I created new presets with pre-selected 200mA and 300mA trickle rates, but it is far to easy to accidentally change the rate, and then you are stuck back in the 5-100mA range. I tried locking those presets, but then it is not possible to actually start the unit charging (even if "Hold to Start" option is enabled).

Ideally the charger interface should give access to the full 5-300mA range. Could this feature be made available?

I suppose you could try to use the NiCd or NiMH Fast Charge presets to actually do the trickle charge, but I am not sure if that is advisable, and of course it would not be intuitive to the average user.

Thanks,
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

If you have one of the PC interfaces, you can set the charge current higher at the PC for this preset, then choose update charger. It will run at whatever you set between 5mA and 300mA when you initiate the charge. But if you go back to the charger and try to change it again, it will revert back to the 5mA to 100mA range you are seeing. This is due to how this actual preset in the charger is designed.

With regard to your other question, it's true, the trickle charge mode does not calculate capacity put back in to the pack. This is because it normally follows a fast charge. Fast charge charges to 100%. Trickle packs more energy into the cells, and the cell voltages will therefore maintain at a higher level after the charge completes, but it is not possible to increase capacity beyond 100%.

Tim Marks
poindexter is offline Find More Posts by poindexter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 01:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,220 Posts
1.7 is latest firmware. Any new firmware would require the PC interface. Since you can set the values more precisely if you already have the PC interface, a firmware version that allows setting this from the console is somewhat redundant.

As for the larger packs, use a charge preset and lower the charge current to 300ma. This may require restarting the charge cycle. Which to me would be less convenient that getting the PC interface.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Sep 27, 2014, 03:03 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Hi Gregor99,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that using the PC interface would normally be the most convenient method.

Unfortunately, the person who will be using the Multi4 does not have a PC. Thus I was hoping to pre-configure the unit to be completely self-sufficient with this functionality.

It seems my best bet is to Lock the 200mA and 300mA presets, and then turn on the Auto Start Charge feature. The Auto Start Charge feature appears to be the only way for a user to actually use a Locked preset. Do you know if this is true? I seem to be unable to start a Locked preset any other way.

Thanks!
Brian
poindexter is offline Find More Posts by poindexter