HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2014, 12:42 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Discussion
Covering EPP with "the new stuff" laminating film

Hey, I am building a JW.. mostly for frontside combat but Will probably DS it on some local Dams (around 125 mph tops) .... I was thinking of covering it with the .5 laminating film ONLY with no strapping tape... has anyone done this?

Why? I cant seem to get the new stuff to stick to the back side of the strapping tape. I have sanded it with 220 grit and wiped it down with acetone and still nothing. I have not tried spraying it with super 77 yet... Would that fix the issue?

any help appreciated!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2014, 12:48 PM
In speed lies safety
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,713 Posts
Austin,
To stick to the packing tape you would need to coat it with thin goop (preferred) or 3M spray. Since tape is smooth, the adhesive on the new stuff has nothing to hold to. Goop sticks very well to packing tape.

If you want to keep the weight of the plane down, you can skip the tape layers and put the new stuff right on the foam (i like to thin goop first). You can experiment on the wing beds to see if your laminating film will stick to the bare epp.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Aug 09, 2014, 01:31 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Thanks Aero... Will New stuff only on the epp make the wing stiff enough (for my planes anyway) in your opinion?
Old Aug 09, 2014, 01:50 PM
Death one circuit at a time
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Nov 2012
104 Posts
For what you are intending to do with your plane as described above- it will be perfectly fine.
RIGAMORTIS is offline Find More Posts by RIGAMORTIS
Old Aug 09, 2014, 01:57 PM
In speed lies safety
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,713 Posts
I know that 10 mil is plenty stiff, perhaps someone can chime in who has tested 5mil on foam with no tape.

The planes that I have seen with both tape and lam film were the stiffest. For a record build, I would think using both is important.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,933 Posts
No, laminating film alone is not sufficient for a "combat JW", especially only at 5mil.
You need the tape under it for strength. We used to call lam-only combat and DS wings
"popcorn wings". They were light and stiff until they took a good hit, and then the film
just pops loose from the foam and the wing folds.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:42 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
OK thanks everyone... Ill do the tape, sand it, acetone it and 3m it then laminate over it.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:11 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
No, laminating film alone is not sufficient for a "combat JW", especially only at 5mil.
You need the tape under it for strength. We used to call lam-only combat and DS wings
"popcorn wings". They were light and stiff until they took a good hit, and then the film
just pops loose from the foam and the wing folds.

Oooo I am going to take a high risk and challenge you Ian

I have made my last 4 foamies with no tape at all. My 850gm Reaper takes more hit that any foamy I have ever had! It has 7mil lam film for covering only, directly onto the EPP after 2 coats of spray adhesive. My JW that went 244mph is Lam film only, one layer 5mil and one layer 7mil over the top of that then a layer of film covering for colour. Each surface prior to adding a lyer of covering has been thoroughly wiped and scrubbed with acetone then scuffed with scotch-brite then a dust of spray adhesive.

Just finished a Beevo recently, it is super light with one layer of 5mil CP lam film. It again, is super tough and rigid also. I am sold on this idea through lots of trial and success.

Most important to remember is there is TWO TYPES of lam film,the CP and DI as defined by the guys at Aloft Hobbies (not sure if that is the official terminology, but there is definitely two types). One is more flexible (CP) than the other, which is more rigid (DI) and is prone to tearing and is harder to repair. CP is much tougher and handles the knocks better, you just dont get quite as stiff a wing. Oh the CP is easier to apply too.

All the foamys I have had with the cross strapping tape, after a good hit, they warp or buckle slightly and the tape holds them in such form and they never fly the same again. Ian is right on the tape does hold on the the wing better than the lam film in most cases, but due to afformentioned i will never do it again.

Remember, this is my opinion, and one which I have found through my experiences
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:50 AM
In speed lies safety
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,713 Posts
I believe the CP is polyester (like Monokote) and the DI is polycarbonate (like sunglasses lenses)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:16 AM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
well thanks for the input guys... Alex you have me convinced... I think what I am going to do is do the one layer and see how stiff it is...If I need more stiffness I will add a second layer.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:25 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Oooo I am going to take a high risk and challenge you Ian

I have made my last 4 foamies with no tape at all. My 850gm Reaper takes more hit that any foamy I have ever had! It has 7mil lam film for covering only, directly onto the EPP after 2 coats of spray adhesive. My JW that went 244mph is Lam film only, one layer 5mil and one layer 7mil over the top of that then a layer of film covering for colour. Each surface prior to adding a lyer of covering has been thoroughly wiped and scrubbed with acetone then scuffed with scotch-brite then a dust of spray adhesive.

Just finished a Beevo recently, it is super light with one layer of 5mil CP lam film. It again, is super tough and rigid also. I am sold on this idea through lots of trial and success.

Most important to remember is there is TWO TYPES of lam film,the CP and DI as defined by the guys at Aloft Hobbies (not sure if that is the official terminology, but there is definitely two types). One is more flexible (CP) than the other, which is more rigid (DI) and is prone to tearing and is harder to repair. CP is much tougher and handles the knocks better, you just dont get quite as stiff a wing. Oh the CP is easier to apply too.

All the foamys I have had with the cross strapping tape, after a good hit, they warp or buckle slightly and the tape holds them in such form and they never fly the same again. Ian is right on the tape does hold on the the wing better than the lam film in most cases, but due to afformentioned i will never do it again.

Remember, this is my opinion, and one which I have found through my experiences
I agree,It's the dusting of 3m77 that makes it stick good.
Though a JW isn't good for combat, they don't recover very well from a good hit. They love pumps and the dark side
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A