HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Yippee!
123" Ho-229 Update.. Flight 4 and 5!

For those who haven't been following my 150% enlarged (123" wingspan) Wings on the web HO-229 EDF project (thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731896 )

It had a semi-successful maiden today, here's a few of the Good and Bad...

Ok, i'll start with the good news.

- The nose gear is sorta fixed (well enough for now, but needs beefing up).. After the 2nd fix today
- The CG is a bit Nose heavy
- It flew on 6S
- IT FLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad news:

- It flies on 6s lol
- The first flight was cut very short due to an ESC catching fire in flight and losing power
- All of the gear doors need repaired now
- Lots of sooty stinky mess to clean and repair now
- Jet Fan 90's on 12s are now a requirement..

SO here is how the day went:

We got out to the field and attempted to fly it the first time at 12:30.. the nose gear repair failed, so back home we wont to fix it again..

By 2pm, we were back at the field with a beefier strut and shear pin setup, which worked out much better.
Batteries were installed and after a LONG takeoff run (700-800'), i was left with either Getting it in the air (it had just enough speed) or over-running the end of the runway and risking damage, so turning on the outer flaps to use as elevators the plane was off the ground and flying!

initial climb-out was very slow... so slow I had to drop the flaps to a takeoff position (about 10* of deflection). This had the Horton flying much better and able to climb to about 200-300' height. When i got some altitude and speed i pulled the flaps up and it started losing altitude quickly, so they were re-deployed and flown in this setting.

Power was marginal, VERY marginal.. It required full power 100% of the time to maintain level flight and got up to about 40-50mph at most.. It was very nose heavy and control response was very nice. It flew GREAT, other than being slow.

After 1 1/2 laps around the field, I noticed it seemed to be loosing power but wasn't 100% sure or not. After 2 maybe 3 laps and directly mid field on the up-wind leg, all power was lost. The worst possible place. I attempted to do a 180* turn onto the downwind since straight ahead would of taken it directly into a tree-line and a fence. Half way through the turn it was obvious I wasn't going to make it, so Full flaps was deployed and the plane leveled off before it ran into the rising terrain. Once it disappeared behind the hill, i just let it go as i knew it HIT the fence/tree-line it was headed towards, and feared the lipo's would of be compromised and a fire started..

After getting to the model, I was pleasantly relieved to see it was about 10 feet from the tree/fence line, but it was SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pulled the top hatch off after checking to ensure it wasn't hot and immediately saw flames coming from the left hand EDF unit motor and ESC. The lipo's were pulled out immediately and the fire stopped on its own.

Over-all, damage was very light over the outer wing panels (shipped paint on the TE mostly) and the center section appears to have come out unharmed other than gear doors being torn off and melted plastic/rubber around the fan unit.

So...The Horton flies and flies well, granted I wasn't able to do as much as i'd like due to the short flight (less than 5 minutes). We had the plane balanced approx 1/2" forward of the CG point recommended on the 82" wingspan version and increased 150% for our size (IE 19" aft of the wing LE at the centerline).

It was noticeably nose heavy as it required full up elevator trim to fly level and no aileron trim.

The plan as of now is:

1- Start working on the 2nd center section so we can get Tom's built.
2- Purchase a pair of jetFan 90's, HET motors and some ESC's (suggestions anyone?) to install into the prototype
3- Remove 6oz of lead from the nose of the prototype, repair it and fly it again!

Photo's:

My favorite picture of the group:

In these photo's you can see how close it was to hitting that fence/tree-line

Inside photo' of the left EDF units.. We were very lucky the entire plane didn't go up in flames as the fire was nearly directly under the lipo's:

And a video. You'll have to forgive Tom as i just threw the video camera into his hands about 1 minute before the flight. There is enough footage to show it flying though...

1/5.3 Horton 229 maiden (1 min 51 sec)
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Last edited by invertmast; Apr 27, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,068 Posts
First...Congrats! On the maiden.

Second ...sad to hear about the fire and subsequent damage.

Glad to hear it is repairable and looking forward to its future flights.

Steve
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:42 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,355 Posts
Ditto the above.Shortening the thrust tubes once you get the power plant sorted?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Stu,
We do plan to shorten them. Currently they are about 6" longer than what i have seen on other models, but we plan to reduce there length after we get the cg in the correct spot about 2" per flight so we can feel and see and changes in its flight characteristics. Once we start seeing a change, we will only remove an inch at a time. Hopefully completely eliminating them.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Stu,
We do plan to shorten them. Currently they are about 6" longer than what i have seen on other models, but we plan to reduce there length after we get the cg in the correct spot about 2" per flight so we can feel and see and changes in its flight characteristics. Once we start seeing a change, we will only remove an inch at a time. Hopefully completely eliminating them.
Sounds like a sensible plan.I look forward to your development work on this.
Stuart.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:30 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
738 Posts
I'm jumping in here, i was looking for some data such as weight, span and wing area? But couldn't find it yet,

Thanks in advance.
PS: you got lucky on the maiden !
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: prototype time
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post
I'm jumping in here, i was looking for some data such as weight, span and wing area? But couldn't find it yet,

Thanks in advance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731896
Check out the build log,it's a real education.
Stuart
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Weight: 32lbs RTF

Span 123"

Area: Lots

Thrust: 12lbs
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:

Span 123"

Area: Lots-now that's funny- real hi tech info!

Stuart
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:31 AM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Plaisance
Joined Aug 2005
256 Posts
Quote:

Span 123"

Area: Lots

So the thrust / weight ratio is about 0,375.
I know that big models with a lot of surface do not need a lot of power in flight.......but a thrust / weight ratio so low could be a problem in some situations.

Just my 2 cents

ettore
quenda is online now Find More Posts by quenda
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenda View Post
So the thrust / weight ratio is about 0,375.
I know that big models with a lot of surface do not need a lot of power in flight.......but a thrust / weight ratio so low could be a problem in some situations.

Just my 2 cents

ettore
I believe a power plant upgrade is planned- read back a bit
Stuart
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Trim drag at its finest.. only about 3/4" of up elevon needed for level flight during the maiden:

Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,355 Posts
Apologies if I've missed it,did you have the drag rudders programmed in/deployed during the flight?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:19 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
They were stowed during the flight. I have them programmed to be used as rudder and on a slider switch so both can be deployee at once for speed brakes
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Our local club photographer sent some smaller samples of the Horton's previous flight... soooo here ya go's!

In this photo you have to look VERY hard for the Horton, as this is the last time it was seen in one piece:

The pile of pieces: