SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Build Log
"box fuse" Mig-17 30mm Maiden Video Added : )

hey all,
hope everybody had a good Christmas.

I wanted to build another "box fuse" jet like I did with the F-86 but wanted to try out the 30mm fan and motor units that Banana Hobby carries:
the fan:
http://www.bananahobby.com/at-minif8...8098-prd1.html
the motor:
http://www.bananahobby.com/at-minif8...8099-prd1.html
these are the ArtTech units that come in the nano F-86
I have installed a SkyAngels 35mm motor in one of these fan units and its a real screamer, but I'll just be using the stock set-up shown in the links for this jet.
I wanted to do a Mig and decided to do the "17" instead of the "15" just to be different, and I actually like how the Mig-17 wings look...I always thought it looked "sleeker" than the "15".
this one will also be tailerons only (we'll see how that works out with the control surfaces farther from the axis ) but I think it should be fine..if not it wont be hard to add ailerons.
I also have a supply of 3.5g servos so I'll be using 2 of those. I will be mounting the servos inside the fuse this time with the pushrods coming out on either side of the tail. I am gonna go ahead and post the plans now cause I already know the design is sound, and since I've built the fuse (the hardest part) and all the parts fit right
so anyhow here is what I got so far, should have it mostly done tonight, and might get to fly it by Mon or Tues...
check it out, check it outers

oops forgot to give the wingspan, its about 15 1/2"
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jan 01, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
hey all,
finished up the tail group, sanded out the canopy, and added some detail accents to the nose and rear fuselage. tomorrow I'll cut open the belly to install all the "make it go stuff"
I also need to add the wing dams, but still puzzling out what I want to make them out of. I have some aluminum sheet stock I cut from some pop cans awhile back and just might use that, not sure yet though.
anyhow here are the update pics of how she looks, I like how it came out

enjoy, Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2010
187 Posts
Very nice ! Looks fast just sitting there ...
jumo004 is offline Find More Posts by jumo004
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,360 Posts
Joe, that thing looks really nice. Thanks for taking the time to post plans and build pics, I know that takes a lot of extra time.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004 View Post
Very nice ! Looks fast just sitting there ...
the little F-86 scooted pretty good, we'll see how this one goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Joe, that thing looks really nice. Thanks for taking the time to post plans and build pics, I know that takes a lot of extra time.
thanks, its not a problem getting them scanned at work, posting builds helps others out with ideas, this would be a good candidate for enlarging to 50mm size

well I got everything installed and hopefully if the weather holds like it has been I should be able to see if she flies, spooled her up and she sounds really good and has very nice pull so I am pretty sure she'll go fairly good, I'll find out tomorrow

Joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:06 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
Here we go again.... Great job man looking nice!
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:06 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
SJ,
You really have that "converting a box to a circle" technique down! Looks great!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
thanks Robert,

once again awoke to the realization that the sadistic weatherman has lied to me again....the report for today was "partly sunny, very light breezes, dry, and 45-47deg temps".....which by the way is what the last 4 days have been like...today though it is 30deg, very cloudy, and snow'in like a some bee.....there is however little to no wind...so if the snow stops long enough for a jog to the schoolyard I might still get her flown today....might be beneficial to have a layer of cushiony snow, if this maiden goes anything like the little F-86

Joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
SJ,
You really have that "converting a box to a circle" technique down! Looks great!
thanks pdawg,

but really its not hard to do this...$tree foam is very easy to sand, start at the front and sand the corner at a 45deg angel then simply follow the layer lines all the way down.. do all four corners, then just round them all off and blend smooth, useing 100 grit "all purpose" it took just over 1 hour to do, then another 5min with 400 grit to smooth it out.

Joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Apr 2010
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
thanks pdawg,

but really its not hard to do this...$tree foam is very easy to sand, start at the front and sand the corner at a 45deg angel then simply follow the layer lines all the way down.. do all four corners, then just round them all off and blend smooth, useing 100 grit "all purpose" it took just over 1 hour to do, then another 5min with 400 grit to smooth it out.

Joe

Do you sand to a template(s) or ' that looks about right ' method ?
Thanks.
jumo004 is offline Find More Posts by jumo004
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumo004 View Post
Do you sand to a template(s) or ' that looks about right ' method ?
Thanks.
no template, but not totally "that looks about right" either, although that does play some part in it, while sanding you can see the different layers and you can "see" how far you need to go, then while rounding, the layer lines let you "see" that you are staying even....so its a combo of "eyeballing" and "line following", doesnt really require a great deal of skill to do, if you can sand a canopy to shape you should be able to sand a fuselage to shape with little difficulty

Joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
since the weather never cooperated today, I spent some time putting some wing dams and paint on it, this should help make it easier to see
the wing dams I made from thin plastic...the aluminum seemed a tad razor blade'ish...got a band-aid outa that experiment

Joe
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
What type of foam is $tree foam you refer too ? And what method do you use when "dishing out" the internal duct shape ?

Great looking build so far , good luck with the first flights !
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
$tree foam is sold by "Dollar Tree", its a discount thrift store where everything they sell is $1. the foam comes as a 20" X 30" sheet and is covered with paper on both sides. its brand name is "Ready Board". the paper comes off easily and the de-papered foam sheet is 5mm thick.

I use "Lok Tite 200" or "3M-77" spray adhesive to laminate the layers for fuselages and wings, the inside of the fuse was dished out just using a pill bottle and a smaller diameter wood dowel chunk as sanding blocks. you only need to dish out one layer and its easy to see when you are there if you pen on the reference lines.

it may look like alot of work but but this foam sands very easily and smooths out nice.

Joe
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
it was cold but very nice today and got to maiden the Mig-17, she was just a touch tail heavy so you'll see a bit of porpoising but it flies really nicely and had no trouble controlling with tailerons only, so I dont have to add ailerons
I set up to do flight #2 only to discover the motor mounting srews had loosened and so I had to call it quits for the day, but was very happy with the results, these motors run on a 250mah pack in the stock plane, I was using a 360mah pack and did 4min easily, should be able to do 6min with this pack judging by the voltage level still in the batts when I put it on the charger. VERY happy with this model!
the thrust dosent "feel" all that strong but the eflux speed is really good, so it flew actually quite a bit faster than I thought it would, and after I get the motor screws re tightened and nudge the battery pack a bit farther forward it should prove to be a really zippy little jet...YEAAAAA!!!
really nice to have a model maiden without gett'in all banged up

so here is the video, once again shot by my youngest daughter, enjoy!

Joe

Mig 17 maiden (0 min 0 sec)