HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
798 Posts
Hs-5035 servo did look a little small for the aileron servo so went with 5045 there and put the 5035's in the back.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
I wondered what all of those "curved" servo horns were about and now that you have explained it I think I get part of it but not all of it. I guess ideally the servo arm would interact with the surface control horn at exactly 90 through out it's travel but since it is going in an arc and it is hard to get the angle at 90 because of most plane designs it can't do that and the differential arm design tries to take as much of that out as possible. Is that anywhere close to right?
Is that why on my DX6i and DX8 there is an adjustment for Differential or is that about something else?
Take a look at these articles.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/ftg...1/31main4.html

And this video.

Using Mechanical Aileron Differential (4 min 26 sec)

You can use the electronic differential in a radio when you have a servo controlling each aileron.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:13 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
Did a quick test of the mini. Using piano wire for the axles helped. Though the wheel pants keep coming loose. The ca works loose and they end up spinning. Any tips from you guys to stop that from happening?
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:06 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Fatigue View Post
Hs-5035 servo did look a little small for the aileron servo so went with 5045 there and put the 5035's in the back.
Physically they're smaller but in terms of specs for torque they're actually better than the recommended ones The 5045 sounds very nice! I was going to go with it but thought it may just be a tad to big/heavy. Does it fly nice with it?

Thanks!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:32 PM
United States, NY, Dansville
Joined Jul 2010
44 Posts
Your are right. I stand corrected. I knew this but I just answered too fast without thinking. I need to go back to just lurking Thanks JC for passing on the correct iinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Actually, it removes the differential induced by the aileron angle at the back of the wing.

It makes the servo arm intersect the control rod at a 90* angle as well as the ailreon control horn to control rod.

The result is equal aileron travel up and down which is 0* differential.

JC
Maylon is offline Find More Posts by Maylon
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:09 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylon View Post
Your are right. I stand corrected. I knew this but I just answered too fast without thinking. I need to go back to just lurking Thanks JC for passing on the correct iinformation.
No need to lurk. Participation is good.

I stick my foot in my mouth all the time.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Physically they're smaller but in terms of specs for torque they're actually better than the recommended ones The 5045 sounds very nice! I was going to go with it but thought it may just be a tad to big/heavy. Does it fly nice with it?

Thanks!
No problem at all. See post 985 about heavier servos.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:02 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Right, put four flights on this tonight at my indoor event. Conclusion? AWESOME It just flew so well. All that was required was a few clicks of trim and a slight shift of CG and bam, flies a treat! I definitely prefer it to my Crack Yak Lite for where I fly. If I had more space, both equal!

Just a few things to note. Firstly - and I appreciate your guys advice on the servo arm dihedral topic - but I left the standard 5035HD horn on the aileron. After much testing with measurement, there was no significant difference in up and down throw at all. Pictures in the attachments of the setup

Secondly, as for flying characteristics, I'd call this plane more slippery/nimble in the air compared to its big brother. I think I actually prefer this as it feels more fun

Third thing is motor. Boy is the DualSky powerful + quiet + smooth! Felt so nice and I really wouldn't change this at all.

Last thing is the 5035HDs. They're incredible! Max throttle and full aileron showed no noticeable blowback whatsoever. Additionally they're incredibly smooth. I know they're a tad heavier and smaller, but they feel great! So I think I could safely recommend these for this airframe

Overall very very happy Will hopefully be doing a video next week of it Thanks for all the help everyone!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:53 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
GWS 6x3 3-blade propeller!
Hovering is great, very stable and slightly easier compared to the 7x3,5. Flying, though, have to wait to the indoor meeting on Saturday.
Now I have tried 6x3 3 blade. I had to modify it quite heavy to get it to stay on the plane.
It makes the Mini slower and easier to fly, but the thrust is not that brilliant. The plane pulls up rather slowly from hovering. It also turned out to be very fragile so only 5 minutes into the first flight it broke at a light contact with the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
... I've been flying lately mostly with the gws 6x3 as well, its become is my personal favorite size prop for this model...
I then switched to GWS DD 6x3 2 bladed & it turned out to be a real hit, in my opinion! The same slower flight envelope, but with better power than the 3-blade! With this propeller the space needed to fly the Mini shrinked considerable. I used it for the rest of the day!

Quote:
Right, put four flights on this tonight at my indoor event. Conclusion? AWESOME It just flew so well....
Glad to hear of your succes.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:20 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Take a look at these articles.

And this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHrm06LkrKo

You can use the electronic differential in a radio when you have a servo controlling each aileron.

JC
JC,
Thanks for taking the time to look those sites up for me, they were very informative.
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:31 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
New aileron servo is in and she is rolling... just silly roll rate. Good times on this plane today!

AARONS INDOOR 3D FEB 2013 (4 min 52 sec)
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Clik Real Quick
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:39 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
New aileron servo is in and she is rolling... just silly roll rate. Good times on this plane today!

http://youtu.be/pBD3IKhSKO8
Great video and awesome flying! What servos you using?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:39 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
Nice flying Aaron. Glad you got the servo fixed.

Got a few flights in on mine going to metal for the axles worked. Even got the mini yak flying again. Day and night comparsion when they are both in the air. The CY Mini is much more fun.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Great video and awesome flying! What servos you using?
That is the TH 40D Servo (digital). The stock digital upgrade servo. Troublesome was that on startup this servo was stripping slightly on high rate when putting left aileron in. Backed off of the overdriving of the servos being done in the radio at 125% in the travel adjust menu on the DX6i. Once that was done, deflection was still decent enough and the speed was there. I was so bummed to have risked damage to the plane in getting the old servo out and a new one in to have perhaps wound up with a brand new servo stripping and slipping. Well, it's working for now and it's feeling fun to fly the plane the way it's supposed to fly. Put a Futaba 3114 in the Standard CY to get that going this weekend too. A little bit heavy at 2 grams more than the stock 5g servo but plenty good in terms of quality. Always liked 2S and the 9" prop but this sagged a little on 2S. Works out OK I think but better for a 3S and 8" prop. Thanks for watching guys! Glad to see everyone is getting some good stick time in on the TH planes this winter.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Clik Real Quick
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:53 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,693 Posts
Nice Rolling Loop, Rolling circle.
When you do those super fast rolling harriers are you stirring the elevator and rudder sticks?, my mind cant even comprend moving my fingers that fast if you are!
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320