SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Changing one life at a time...
JimStanmore's Avatar
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
419 Posts
if anyone wants to get rid of their old one, I am still looking to buy one of the old, glitching JR-compatible modules:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794930
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Plans On My Build List
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2005
3 Posts
OrangeRX TX module for Turnigy 9x DOA??

I just purchased a Turnigy 9x (w/o module) and an OrangeRX DSM2 TX module for it from Hobby King. I have not been able to bind to any aircraft and I think it may be that the TX module is DOA. (tried night vapor and nano cpx)

Can anyone describe what, if anything, should occur in terms of audio or visual signals when you turn on the transmitter - something that would indicate the DSM2 TX module is working/has power?

The 9x seems fine, from what I can tell. I can navigate menus, etc.

I get nothing on the module. I believe I should be able to hit the bind button three short clicks and see the light blink as it changes TX modes, but I get nothing. At no time are there lights or audio beeps from the OrangeRX dsm2/dsmx module.

Both the 9x and the module are new. I am not certain how/if I can determine which one is the issue. but knowing what should occur when turned on might help.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
-Mike
fordm2003 is offline Find More Posts by fordm2003
Last edited by fordm2003; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: minor correction
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
Registered User
United States, TX
Joined Dec 2002
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStanmore View Post
if anyone wants to get rid of their old one, I am still looking to buy one of the old, glitching JR-compatible modules:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794930
Looks like Jim found one, I'm also looking for one, please PM me if you have one available.

Thanks.
gdenton3 is online now Find More Posts by gdenton3
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,593 Posts
So, how are the unique id's guaranteed to be unique??
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Changing one life at a time...
JimStanmore's Avatar
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
419 Posts
Yep, I found one. Surprisingly, I have been asking for one for several weeks and no one wanted to give one up. With all of the complaints about the original and the replacements now rolling out, I thought there would be quite a few available.
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Plans On My Build List
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
KC's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordm2003 View Post
I just purchased a Turnigy 9x (w/o module) and an OrangeRX DSM2 TX module for it from Hobby King. I have not been able to bind to any aircraft and I think it may be that the TX module is DOA. (tried night vapor and nano cpx)

Can anyone describe what, if anything, should occur in terms of audio or visual signals when you turn on the transmitter - something that would indicate the DSM2 TX module is working/has power?

The 9x seems fine, from what I can tell. I can navigate menus, etc.

I get nothing on the module. I believe I should be able to hit the bind button three short clicks and see the light blink as it changes TX modes, but I get nothing. At no time are there lights or audio beeps from the OrangeRX dsm2/dsmx module.

Both the 9x and the module are new. I am not certain how/if I can determine which one is the issue. but knowing what should occur when turned on might help.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
-Mike
Hi Mike. Welcome to RCGroups!

There are two know issues with the 9x and OrangeRx DSM module combo.

First, in the 9x module bay, there is a bit of plastic around the pins that prevents certain modules, like the OrangeRx module, to not seat all the way down. This can cause the module to make insufficient contact with the pins to operate properly. Check this post for the fix.

The second issue is more serious if you want to fly the Spektrum BNF planes. The 9x's stock firmware uses the Futaba channel order (AETR) that is not compatible with the BNF bricks that expects the JR/Spektrum channel order (TAER).

The stock channel order of the 9x can be changed, but to do it, it needs to be modded and flashed with alternate firmware, like the er9x. I'm afraid there is no easy way around this issue.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Dec 31, 2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:22 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStanmore View Post
Yep, I found one. Surprisingly, I have been asking for one for several weeks and no one wanted to give one up. With all of the complaints about the original and the replacements now rolling out, I thought there would be quite a few available.
I can't speak for anyone else, but in my situation, I'm still using the original until my replacement arrives (which STILL hasn't happened).

With some mixing, the original modules are still usable. Mine is usable for any of my 4 channel airplanes...unfortunately I can't make it work for my helis though.

I don't know how many people have received their replacements yet, but I would imagine more of the faulty modules will start showing up as the new modules replace them.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:45 PM
Changing one life at a time...
JimStanmore's Avatar
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
With some mixing, the original modules are still usable. Mine is usable for any of my 4 channel airplanes...unfortunately I can't make it work for my helis though.
Hmmm, I better hold on to the parts for the DIY module. I was hoping to tame down an mSRx and mCPx. Guess I'll be tinkering with settings rather than wiring.

Did you try these:


http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=16
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=18
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Plans On My Build List
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:50 AM
Changing one life at a time...
JimStanmore's Avatar
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
419 Posts
OK, just received a v1 module from another RCG member today. Scary moments until I switched er9x back to PPM from DSM2 (read the manual a third time, duh) and got the ID button unstuck (it somehow got stuck down.) I set the frame rate for 19.5, my templates for Spektrum order, and used a template to setup a new model for basic 4 channel. (Gotta love SmartieParts and eePe!) Powered up the mCX2 and then pressed the bind on the module and powered up the tx. A minute later the heli is responding just fine. I had to reverse channels 2 and 4 (rudder and aileron) which was disconcerting to do because I am used to the regular 9x Futaba order.

Flew it around for a minute and then gave the tx to my 12 year old son to finish off the battery. So, the mCX2 works just fine. I added D/R of 50% and H/L expos of 10 and 25 (those might be the wrong way) but, haven't done extensive testing with them. Tomorrow I'll try the mSRx adn the CX3.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23747301
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimStanmore; Jan 08, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:54 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
How does binding work with this module? Will I have to re-bind with every aircraft I have?

I have a couple running DSM2 protocol and a couple running DSMX. I understand I have to change modes on the module when switching protocols, but do I have to get a bind plug every time I switch around?
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:57 PM
Registered User
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Module DOA

I have already posted in the 9xr forum and was able to get a few people to jump in and try to help but that forum is moving so fast (Now at 370+ pages) it is hard to get in a word or help.

I am wondering if anyone else has had a module appear to arrive DOA? I have a new 9xr and have check to see that I have 12V coming out of pins 3 and 4. I snap in the module and power up the TX and nothing happens. No lights not beeps nothing. I tired several times to bind to an oragerx and have even treid to change the mode just to get the light to come one. Nothing worked.

A couple of times when I powered up the TX the module made a soft contstant beep.

I have verified the radio is in PPM mode. Is there anything else to try before the RMA to Hobby King?
rjmyklebust is offline Find More Posts by rjmyklebust
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:30 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Canton
Joined Mar 2013
0 Posts
Bind-n-fly compatibility

So I've read in an earlier post that the 9x and OrangeRx dsm2/dsmx module combo have some issues, especially when it comes to the bind-n-fly aircraft. Does the 9XR with the OrangeRx module have the same issues?
drummerboy15 is offline Find More Posts by drummerboy15
Last edited by drummerboy15; Mar 04, 2013 at 01:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:59 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
KC's Avatar
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,053 Posts
No, it doesn't.

The problem with the ORx module is that it is set for the Futaba channel order that is not compatible with the BNF bricks (which has the JR channel order).

The 9xr, with the ER9x FW, is able to remap the channel order to be compatible with the BNF bricks. The 9x with it's stock FW doesn't have the remapping capability, so it's stuck with the Futaba channel order.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:46 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Canton
Joined Mar 2013
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
No, it doesn't.

The problem with the ORx module is that it is set for the Futaba channel order that is not compatible with the BNF bricks (which has the JR channel order).

The 9xr, with the ER9x FW, is able to remap the channel order to be compatible with the BNF bricks. The 9x with it's stock FW doesn't have the remapping capability, so it's stuck with the Futaba channel order.
Ok thanks. Isn't it possible to change the FW on the 9x (to er9x or something) and then change the order to the JR style?
drummerboy15 is offline Find More Posts by drummerboy15
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:33 AM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy15 View Post
Ok thanks. Isn't it possible to change the FW on the 9x (to er9x or something) and then change the order to the JR style?
yes but you have to a. solder in a usb connector like in this video or b. use a drop in board like the "smartie parts" board. where are you located? If you are near me(kalamazoo MI), I will gladly flash it to er9x free of charge.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Jr/Spectrum Rx's and Modules for sale (2.4 Module, AR6110e, AR6115e, AR7000, R900s) Twyl Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 9 Apr 03, 2012 01:23 PM
Found Wanted: Spektrum DM9 DSM2 TX Module for JR John Boy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Mar 24, 2012 01:16 AM
Sold spectrum dm8-dsm2 module for futaba 9c vic gensberg Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Mar 16, 2012 11:28 PM
Sold [SOLD] OrangeRx DSM2 6ch Receiver Compatable with Spectrum Tx studizzle Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 22 Jan 29, 2012 01:20 PM
For Sale JR XP9303 Spectrum 2.4 DSM2 Module + PCM- HELI dotdigital Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Sep 03, 2008 06:53 PM