SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Discussion
Shrinking tissue that's already been doped ?

Used the biege tissue that came with my Dare Wright Flyer . On the bottom of the wing it has two coats of very thin clear butyrate . It was shrunk with rubbing alcohol. Now , after a couple days drying , some of it is tight and some sags.

Anyway to tighten it now ? thanks , Walt
4stroker is offline Find More Posts by 4stroker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Apply another coat of clear dope. You didn't say what kind of clear dope was applied initially. Sig makes a low shrink clear called "Lite Coat". Did you use that or regular clear?
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
Apply another coat of clear dope. You didn't say what kind of clear dope was applied initially. Sig makes a low shrink clear called "Lite Coat". Did you use that or regular clear?
It was regular fuel proof clear , not sure of brand , probably Sig . This problem is hanging me up on the project . .

Thanks for the help !
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Well, I'd try another coat of the same dope, but not thinned quite as much. If that doesn't work, then you can try some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't. Good Luck!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,759 Posts
Do they actually make fuel proof shrinking dope these days? It's a long while since I used dope, but shrinking dope was not fuel proof back then.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Do they actually make fuel proof shrinking dope these days? It's a long while since I used dope, but shrinking dope was not fuel proof back then.

Pete
Don't know about Sig. Their product line seems to have shrunk or disappeared these days. I always preferred Brodak dopes. I found they always gave me a better finish. There products can be hard to find. Then I found out that Brodak's dopes are made for them by Randolph, who make full scale aircraft dopes and finishes. Turns out many of the colours are event he same. I stopped buying "Model" dopes quite a while ago, and now get mine from Randolph through Aircraft Spruce. A few months ago I needed some more clear nitrate and thinner, so I got a gallon of each. Much cheaper that way, too.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post

Pete
I can never remember whether it's nitrate or butyrate that shrinks . I remember I had some silk one time tha nitrate wouldn't shrink , but butyrate did .
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Pretty sure it's nitrate that shrinks. And butyrate can go over nitrate, but nitrate can't go over butyrate.
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
▄bung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
I believe both shrink, but butyrate more so. In fact, it never really stops shrinking. It is the butyrate that is the fuel proof dope.

In my much younger, more na´ve years, I covered a Sterling Aeronca C-3 using straight butyrate dope. Wow! The wing had curved dihedral!

I still enjoy covering with tissue/silkspan and dope!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:02 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,524 Posts
I have had some success by brushing some extra dope across the wrinkles at a right angle instead of recoating the whole surface.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:50 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
There products can be hard to find.
Did you try Brodak's web site?

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:54 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Shipping hazardous liquids like that to Canada would cost a fortune, if it was possible at all. There's actually an on-line hobby shop in Canada (Great Hobbies) that stocks it, so it's not that big a problem. If I need large quantities, I go through Aircraft Spruce. They have a Canadian warehouse, too.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
477 Posts
Ahhh.... forgot about the cross border issues. Naturally. It's an age thing.

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:03 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,401 Posts
Just covered my D-Rock Hurricane with Polyspan and dope -- for old times sake!
Got clear nitrate dope from both Sig and Brodak, shipped in mail, think I used both just to see difference, Brodak has more depth/shine to it. As stated here Nitrate shrinks, Butyrate shrinks and fuel proofs.

As to re shrinking, I never found a way to add shrink after the initial dope coats were dry even rubbing thinner over the surface and re coating. If you use at full strength might do it but might add warps also. Never found heating retained the tightness for long.

Re-cover job?
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Just covered my D-Rock Hurricane with Polyspan and dope -- for old times sake!
Got clear nitrate dope from both Sig and Brodak, shipped in mail, think I used both just to see difference, Brodak has more depth/shine to it. As stated here Nitrate shrinks, Butyrate shrinks and fuel proofs.

As to re shrinking, I never found a way to add shrink after the initial dope coats were dry even rubbing thinner over the surface and re coating. If you use at full strength might do it but might add warps also. Never found heating retained the tightness for long.

Re-cover job?
thanks killckb , might have to bite the bullet !