SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
First i have worked with foam once when i scratch built a polaris seaplane ,saying that i would put the top of the fuse on and then try to make a clean cut on a slight angle from the top by the windsheld to the bottom of the fuse angling to the front. Then i would try to find a foam block that kinda matched the plane foam and cut it on the same angle .Then once it is fitting good take it off and hollow it out in the right spots shape the outside to match the fuse and epoxy a piece of light ply for the new notor mount angling down 1/8 and to the right 1/8 for tork and then glue your new nose back on and reinforce the cut on the inside of the fuse.A couple flat strips of carbon fiber on each inside and one or two in the inside bottom should stiffen her up. Very light on the glue and epoxy for your motor mount/ply.And make sure your cuts are fitting well. If it does not work then buy a new fuse but if it does work all your are out is some glue and ply ,You could even use some strips of ply instead of the carbon fiber to beef up your cut on the inside of the fuse. good luck with it Gavin. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Hi Gavin, looks fixable....good luck....BTW if wind is your only problem flying you're doing great......I have problems with wind, even flying bigger stuff.....no likey the wind
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
I just thought of something. What if I bought a different size wing from another plane and put it on the Champ, would it do anything?
GavinMuggy is offline Find More Posts by GavinMuggy
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinMuggy
After reading all the new posts I am pretty sure I will try to repair my Champ to it's formal glory... Shouldn't be too hard and if I can repair it I will stop my stupidity which caused it to brake... I couldn't resist trying to fly in windy weather.
Nearly all of us have been there, done that. In this hobby, temptation is often hard to resist because there is no physical injury, no deaths. Only one's pride and/or ego is hurt — for a while, at least. Lesson(s) learned. Then we rub our eyes, regain our dander, and head back out to the field for another flight ... with, perhaps, another model. It's called experience.

If you were happy with it before your crash, then it should be a keeper until you become bored with it or are ready to step up to something more advanced. The wing in your picture looks fine. And if it were me, I would also consider repairing the fuselage with 5-minute Epoxy and/or foam-safe CA (cyano-acrylate) glue. Those adhesives are wonderful for our hobby.

If whatever parts you need are available, then I say you should aim to repair your model. A different size wing could help if you balance it correctly; there are a few design considerations to be aware of. Also, if the wing is too big it will get blown around more in less wind than when you crashed it. But in no wind it could float very nicely and require less power. Perhaps other modelers could chime in on this.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:39 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
It's not too bad at all!

Another option for fixing it is making a clean vertical cut to the nose where the damage starts, and glue on a piece of regular packing/insulation foam with a little hollow carved out of the back for the motor then carve or sand it to shape.

Could you post a pic of the damage to the tail?
Wind gets easyer to manage when you get to bigger planes, but it's always fun.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
The only rason for the angle is more gluing strenth ,or more gluing surface in a angle that a straight cut . If you have ever made a two piece wing spar you cut and glue them on a angle. I am a learning model builder but i was a master carpenter for 29 years . Its going to hold up a motor and he might bang it again. joe
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Gavin glad to have you back, I was very concerned I had been responsible for scaring you off. I am sorry for my part in pulling this thread off topic.

As others have noted it is repairable, really anything is repairable with the possible exception of the electronics, and even then, some guys on this board have those unique skills.

As for your tail. You are familiar with those stryofoam plates or trays that meat comes on from the supermarket. With that material you can make a brand new tail. Even a brand new plane.

Use the old tail pieces as a template, and cut out a new one. Hinges can be made out of scotch or any clear light tape. I'll find a video of hinging technique and return and post it.

The fuse can be repaired as others noted, Joe I thought you weren't good with foam, good advice.

You could even recreate a whole new fuselage yourself. Profile fuselages are very easy to make, but aren't quite as pretty although still look nice in the air. The result would be lighter than the original, and have a bit better wind penetrating ability. If you read a bit in the foamy scratchbuild section and follow a few build threads you can learn a great deal.

Wings too are easy to create. There are techniques to make one similar to the one the champ came with but are somewhat advanced so lets leave those for now. KFm wings OTOH are very easy to create and work very well. Again looking through the foamy scratchbuild section will show you how to make one.

Just to show how simple a plane can be look at this one:

It is called the nutball and can be found in the scratchbuild section.

This is a good video, although I do the bevel side first and the flat side last, but the results are identical.
How to Cut a 45 bevel and make a tape hinge (4 min 28 sec)

Here is what I did with the insides of my micro mustang with a radio system like yours, anything is possible, as your building/repairing skills improve.

Build thread:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1569772

Any questions at all, post them and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers,
Carey.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Last edited by foamnpacktape; Jan 29, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Wow your very helpful!

That nutball looks like it would be a fun little plane to build and fly. Do you think I could build it with the Champ electronics?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinMuggy View Post
Wow your very helpful!

That nutball looks like it would be a fun little plane to build and fly. Do you think I could build it with the Champ electronics?
Absolutely, here is the thread where I found it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389
I have never built one, if you have more questions about it post them in that thread. Everybody here is very helpful.

Carey.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Awesome! I may try to make this, well at least something like it.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinMuggy View Post
Awesome! I may try to make this, well at least something like it.
Cool, just keep in mind: enjoy your successes, learn from your failures.

I have had many failures in this hobby. Persistence pays off. And the successes make the failures completely worth while.

If you have any issues whatsoever, give me a heads up, If I don't know the answer I can help you find it.

Carey.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Iam glad you came back carey ,foam is not my cup of tea but cutting things and putting them back together as a carpenter was my life. The only foam plane that keeps calling me and would be a good one for Gavin later is a magnum reloaded out of epp . . joe
Closed Thread