HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:01 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
does the fw change remove the ability to use the programming card, or is it not required with this fw?
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:00 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,668 Posts
Nicely organized and detailed ESC mod thread Nek! Added to the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:05 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
does the fw change remove the ability to use the programming card, or is it not required with this fw?
No need for a programming card anymore. I guess the defaults are what you would want from a multirotor ESC.

And thanks jesolins
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
180 Posts
Does an amtel avrisp mkII programmer work too?

/Regards
slowswede is offline Find More Posts by slowswede
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Jan 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowswede View Post

/Regards
Should do
jonnyc67 is offline Find More Posts by jonnyc67
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
180 Posts
Goodie I'll give this a try. have lots of "clicking" noises in my quad (850 kV motors)
slowswede is offline Find More Posts by slowswede
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:39 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. We can certainly make a stick programming interface that makes it store stuff to the EEPROM, but so far I've just been keeping it simple since I haven't run in to any cases for things that can't just be made common or set at build time.

Also, I don't yet have any I2C master stuff to test with, nor have I seen castle creation's stuff. I was thinking of making a KK code auto-builder web page, and I could do something similar with this, I guess, if it really turns out that people need that many variants and don't want to tweak the settings and assemble their own to get it.
Everyone I know detest stick programming, so do I.
An interface is also more fool proof, I have messed up my settings with stick prog. more often than I care to count.
With stick prog. there's also the possibility to f**k up the settings of all four or more ESC's at once when you tweak your controller, I've done this too many times with the Mystery blue series and they take FOREVER to prog. w. stick.

If you're planning to to port to Silab that's yet another reason to consider a PC interface - Optional Silab or Atmega based ESC FW.

I hope that I don't sound too much like, I want this and I want that! I'm only tossing ideas here, seriously, your and Bernhards work so far has already revolutionized the multirotor hobby, people just haven't discovered it yet.

If you need any hardware to test or burn, PM me, I have loads of ESC's and other stuff and I'm ready to donate.

Sebastian
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:07 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,039 Posts
Just peeled the shrink off of one of my Exceed-RC Proton-18A's and what do you know. There is a nice red board under that black heat shrink. Even has HobbyWing ID on it. I verified the pin-outs for the pads to be identical to the HW25A in the first post. Haven't tried programing yet. Waiting on 2 new motors and one new ESC after last crash.

I could bodge up a programer using a Pro Mini or Nano but I have a USBASP coming in the mail so I will wait till then. I will report back after I attempt it.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:46 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
I have just completed the successful hardware mod of six ExceedRC Proton 30A esc's to work with an MK using i2c control.

The firmware I used was pre-compiled into hex files by ArthurP.

The firmware files were named "TGYPxxA2007v0100TwiNoCalM01.hex" and went through "TGYPxxA2007v0100TwiNoCalM08.hex" (of course, I only used 1 - 6).

The question I have is:

If you implement TC's i2c patch into your newer code (and maybe provide some hex files) would an improvement be realized? if so, I'd be glad to re-program mine. (I have not yet mounted them to a bird to test them in flight, I have only connected them and tested them in MKtools.)

Thank you!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Old hex files are junk, simonk made a lot of useful changes to the PWM range etc.
With his changes its probably even possible to support 10bit stuff from BL2.0 if properly implemented. Anyhow, seems there's no lack of people willing to waste time cutting apart wires to get I2C controllers, lol.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:56 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowswede View Post
Yep, that's what I used.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:44 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
The firmware files were named "TGYPxxA2007v0100TwiNoCalM01.hex" and went through "TGYPxxA2007v0100TwiNoCalM08.hex" (of course, I only used 1 - 6).

The question I have is:

If you implement TC's i2c patch into your newer code (and maybe provide some hex files) would an improvement be realized? if so, I'd be glad to re-program mine. (I have not yet mounted them to a bird to test them in flight, I have only connected them and tested them in MKtools.)
If it starts properly and runs without timing loss, you don't care about the 8kHz PWM whine, and the 100 PWM (POWER_RANGE) steps aren't causing an issue (due to INT RC jitter or other noise that causes dithering anyway), then it may not matter.

I have made a few other changes, like always going with the latest received PWM instead of the first since the last check (slightly less lag), and it runs at 16MHz now even on the 8MHz boards, which doubles the PWM clock, allowing for ~10-bit PWM at 18kHz / ~11-bit PWM at 9kHz. This only matters if your flight controller outputs more steps, though. The original kapteinkuk code works with -100 to 100 in 16.16, now 16.8 with the latest release, and then scales up to round microseconds without throwing away bits. Mike's C port just did all of the mixing with integers but still the same range, so was (is?) much more granular (steps of 4 microsconds during output). My fork does it in microseconds (steps of 1 microsecond) with 16-bit and 32-bit integer math, but hasn't been updated with the PI stuff yet, so kapteinkuk's assembler versions should be as good or better than this: https://github.com/sim-/kk

Cheers!
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:02 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Well I just finished assembling a quad to test my reflashed 10A RCTimers properly and something went veeeery wrong. First just when I wanted to check motor rotation with no prop ons just giving it a blip of throttle made one of the FETs pop! ESC was still running after wards, so I figured I might as well solder the rest and give it a go. Well it is not pretty at all!!! They barely turn the motors and they get hot so fast.

I have also tried on this quad a power distribution board made from a two layer copper clad pcb. The top traces is pretty much a ground plane, bottom one a power plane. Maybe it is not enough to carry the amps needed by each motor and the reason why it is not working at all?

I know my motors draw something like 12A at full throttle with the props I am using so I knew a 10A esc was asking for trouble but still... I have some 18A lying around and will try them with a regular wire power spider and see if that works. I'll bring the power ditribution PCB back into play once I am sure it is not the culprit!
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Pretty sure power distro would not be a problem. So what did you end up doing with the exploded fet? because on 10A, there's only 6 of them so any of them burning off you wouldn't be able to spin a motor again. did you replace it?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:25 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Pretty sure power distro would not be a problem. So what did you end up doing with the exploded fet? because on 10A, there's only 6 of them so any of them burning off you wouldn't be able to spin a motor again. did you replace it?
That's the weird thing, the motor is still running, just as bad as the others lol

That's what the power distro looks like, don't mind the + on the top, it is the ground, photoshop mishap
Last edited by Nek; Oct 06, 2011 at 12:34 AM.