HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:18 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Trust me, you DO NOT want that wing....
You would be MUCH better off cutting the ailerons out and installeing servos in the stock wing.
Rn
Why is that, Ron? I have held it in my hand and had my SC wing with me at the time... it does feel heavier.

I also know the Flyzone Super Cub is a heavy pig in general but that's not specifically because of its wing.

Do tell, brutha.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:18 AM
Registered User
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
My experience was that perfectly good 2200 3s packs for flying would start "buzzing" while I was flying along. I could get the alarm to stop when I got into a very low power point on the throttle, but once I started pulling amps the alarm would fire. The unit I had used a variety of sounds as the volts dropped, and eventually starting screaming as you got close to some LV value (which I have forgotten).

With 2200 3s packs only costing $13 now, my personal feeling is pull as much out of them as I can. That said, I have never been able to fly any plane I own and pull a pack down close to 3v per cell.

I realize that not everyone is flying a radio that has a nice timer feature, but for me the timer on the DX8 works great for my heli's and fixed wings.

I will be interested to read the input after others fly with these buzzers. Heck for $3.00 or whatever, try it and see what you think. It's not like you are spending any real $$.

bc

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
You will always have a higher resting voltage than when measured under load. I want my alarm to tell me when it's hit a certain voltage under load... I don't like going under 3.3 or 3.4v per cell. If I stop at that point and measure it it'll be significantly higher than 3.4, But it's under load that matters. Is that what you mean or something different? I haven't purchased them yet.
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:24 AM
Registered User
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Flaps in the stock wing seem to make sense.

Check out this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688402 His wing is so nice compared to mine, but I have the same basic setup on my building bench now. 4 servos in wing. Fowler flaps setup for massive rotation if you want to use it.

I didn't weigh my wing before I started, but after adding the CF rod, 4 HS-55 servos and the wiring, the wing is under 7 ounces on my build.

bc


Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
If I was willing to spend $40 to have ailerons I'd buy this instead. In fact, I just might, at some point.

(price is a bit less than this here in town)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLAY


Attachment 5460536
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:27 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
My experience was that perfectly good 2200 3s packs for flying would start "buzzing" while I was flying along. I could get the alarm to stop when I got into a very low power point on the throttle, but once I started pulling amps the alarm would fire. The unit I had used a variety of sounds as the volts dropped, and eventually starting screaming as you got close to some LV value (which I have forgotten).

With 2200 3s packs only costing $13 now, my personal feeling is pull as much out of them as I can. That said, I have never been able to fly any plane I own and pull a pack down close to 3v per cell.

I realize that not everyone is flying a radio that has a nice timer feature, but for me the timer on the DX8 works great for my heli's and fixed wings.

I will be interested to read the input after others fly with these buzzers. Heck for $3.00 or whatever, try it and see what you think. It's not like you are spending any real $$.

bc
That's true. I could buy just one... at a cost less than the amount of gas my car goes through just warming it up before I drive it... and try it. If I like it I buy a another one... free shipping.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:29 AM
Registered User
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
851 Posts
Is the 2" to 2.5" from the wing LE the CG sweet spot for you experienced SC fliers?
Blade Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:53 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
North_of_49's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Flaps in the stock wing seem to make sense.

Check out this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688402 His wing is so nice compared to mine, but I have the same basic setup on my building bench now. 4 servos in wing. Fowler flaps setup for massive rotation if you want to use it.

I didn't weigh my wing before I started, but after adding the CF rod, 4 HS-55 servos and the wiring, the wing is under 7 ounces on my build.

bc
Nice. Thanks for the link. I'm actually more interested in his wing mounting system, it's similar to how that yellow Flyzone wing I just posted about attaches to the Flyzone Super Cub. With the scale look I'm going for, it would be nice to ditch those rubber bands. Only downside is those bands actually do have a function (besides just holding the wing on) that I would lose.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:15 AM
Me a long time ago
Flypoppa's Avatar
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
I have added ailerons and split flaps to my SC. video of them in action.
Parkzone Super-Cub with Flaps & Ailerons. The test flight. (5 min 31 sec)
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:57 AM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
OK, so I'm trying to put the battery box mod back into position. With the "velcro'd" battery in position am I to assume the RX will be mounted on the inside wall of the fuse? I just don't see any other way unless I'm missing something.

Any pics of this config would surely help

Mike.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=29
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:23 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Crasher View Post
Flaps in the stock wing seem to make sense.

Check out this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688402 His wing is so nice compared to mine, but I have the same basic setup on my building bench now. 4 servos in wing. Fowler flaps setup for massive rotation if you want to

bc
Robart Large Pin Hinge Fowler Flaps (2 min 32 sec)


Here is one of many of my Fowler flaps set ups on a Super Cub. The Robart 310 hinge set up is the least complicated and easiest to do. Check my blog if you want more sophisticated.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:38 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Chompwat's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Nice set up!
Forgive my ignorance Quitch, but how do you achieve the dual rate of flap deployment? I have a Dx6i and was of the belief that flaps were either on or off with that.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:06 AM
Registered User
robschonk's Avatar
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Nice set up!
Forgive my ignorance Quitch, but how do you achieve the dual rate of flap deployment? I have a Dx6i and was of the belief that flaps were either on or off with that.
Here's one way.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8863
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Chompwat's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Thanks.

I can see that this device could be used to control the speed of flap deployment, but I don't understand how it would introduce the two stages of deployment as per my question.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:15 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,662 Posts
Thanks GENE, I finally figured it out. I saw that pic but, it didn't register until later last night

Dang, you Guys keep some late hours on the weekend.

BTW. I thought you could dial in for "flaperons" on the DX6i. I would assume they work better independently though.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
One thing i noticed is those buzzer alarm dealios dont tell you individual cell voltage. Its good to know them so youre aware when a battery is going bad.

Im surprised you dont want to build your own ailerons North of 49. You seem to like the building aspect of rc flying.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part 3) ArsonDave Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33164 Nov 15, 2010 12:35 AM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 2) guapoman2000 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1102 Jul 03, 2008 12:34 PM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part I) TheDustyPagan Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8442 Apr 19, 2008 09:23 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 02:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 11:35 AM