HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:41 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Still waiting for the CS10 to return to stock at HK.

Is there any difference between this one at HK other than the price?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=22069

And this one?
http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=216

I do see they have different max RPM ratings too
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
Same fans...

Try PW-RC, X-Flight or RC Castle. (All three will be similar price, and good service. About $1 more then HK).
And you may as well get the new 12 blade version. About $1 more. Plus you can buy a metal spinner for $2 more.
For the 12 Blade at the moment - because they have the $2 metal spinner and I am not sure about the other places - get it from X-Flight.
The 12 blade is pretty well dead equal power in/out to the 10 blade, but a bit quieter and much better made. It will probably totally replace the 10 blade once they have sold all the 10's.

http://x-flight.com.hk/index.php?sp=...&more=&lang=en

http://x-flight.com.hk/index.php?p=6&id=177&lang=en

The metal spinner does NOT fit the 10 blade.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:42 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Ordered the 10 blade from X flight before I got your post... oh well, thanks anyway.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
You might be able to contact them to change it if you wanted?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:45 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Maybe, will give it a shot. Thanks

Still planning on
L2855-2300
Zippy 4000 20c 5S
80A esc
Last edited by jrjr; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:59 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
I could really do with a bit of,not too complicated help. Im sure all the answers are in this tread,but to be honest,i find it all a bit confusing. Im 55 and just trying to get my head round all this electric stuff. So,this is what i would like to know in simple terms.
I would love to get some 5s for the Meteor stock,but also really love the sound of the changesun set up.Could i get some batteries that would fly the Meteor stock,but could be used on the 10 blade set up? What i am looking for is the best combo for decent,maybe five minute flights. I do want some speed,but happy to lose some for duration.
I just really cant afford to keep buying different batteries as times are not the best at the moment.
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:07 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
Auto,
my simple rule of thumb for batteries is as follows, buy the best quality and highest "c" rated ones you can afford. you can always use a higher "C" rated battery than you need for your plane, but if your battery is a cheapie, it will puff sooner,give you less performance, shorter flight times and will give you fewer recharge cycles than a quality one will. i'm sure others on this thread can and will give you a long winded, technical explanation, but that's the short version.
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
Autoquip..
1) Run it stock on 5S for a start
2) Get somewhere from 3300, 3700, 4000 mAH
3) Zippy Compact 5S 3700mAh 35C is ideal.. about $36 area
4) That battery can then run a CS10 or 12, using a Turnigy L2855-2300kv motor.
$30 total for motor and fan - but get the 12 blade, and its $2 metal spinner. I know X-Flight sell those. but HobbyKing might not yet (fan and spinner - $18). L2855 $13 from HobbyKing.
5) The stock ESC is fine for all cases (It is a 60Amp)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:57 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
146 Posts
Deal of the Century here...claim 1700W w/5S..Need a decent ESC...100A+.
I couldn't resist. If it pulls as advertised, I have a Mig-29 with their name on it.
http://www.rchobbyintl.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=69
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
5S 4130kv = 74k RPM..... (drop of 5% or so....70k area)
What fan are they dreaming of putting those into??
And at only 130g they aren't likely to last doing that job!

They would be passable in a 5 or 6 blade on 4S only. And even then still stressful for them (motors and fans)!
57k to 60k RPM
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Hi, this Dynam is in stock here: http://www.rctopshop.com/en/brands/d...-airplane.html
Rctopshop is offline Find More Posts by Rctopshop
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:47 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
You might be able to contact them to change it if you wanted?
I emailed them yesterday about the change to a 12 blade. Got an email from them this am that the package was shipped and they did indeed send the 12 blade! Am I still going to be ok with this setup? Haven't ordered this stuff yet....
L2855-2300
Zippy 4000 20c 5S
70A esc (Red Brick)

I have another need for a 60A so I thought I would bump up the Meteor a bit while at it.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
Yeah, all looks totally fine... perfect.
A bit 'more' ESC can't hurt.... the bit of extra weight won't bother it.
Though I have never looked inside closely, but I know the Dynam ESC is smaller and narrower than HK SS or Red Brick - but you will get it in there fine I am sure.
On 5S it won't go over 60A anyway.... more mid 50A and lower, but safety leeway can't hurt!

The CS12 should fit easier than the CS10... its shroud is a bit shorter and probably a more exact match to the Dynam fan anyway.

Sheesh, I have two of the 12 blades sitting here since they very first came out... but I can't be bothered "wasting" any CS10 already in a plane (by taking it out), plus the time to do it for 'nothing' .... almost. I have tested them, but then they were left in a box....
My spare Meteor will get an alloy CS10 6S.... so that misses out too.
The only 'easy' swap is into the Dynam Me262, which I actually intended to use them for originally. It uses a pair of L2855-2300kv CS10's with a pair of 70A HK SS ESC's and a pair of 5S 4000 20C on board - so it is like "Two Meteors" really! LOL.
But it weighs more than double!! Meteor at 1.4Kg area, Me-262 at 3.6Kg.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:28 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Though I have never looked inside closely, but I know the Dynam ESC is smaller and narrower than HK SS or Red Brick - but you will get it in there fine I am sure.
The CS12 should fit easier than the CS10... its shroud is a bit shorter and probably a more exact match to the Dynam fan anyway.

Sheesh, I have two of the 12 blades sitting here since they very first came out... but I can't be bothered "wasting" any CS10 already in a plane (by taking it out), plus the time to do it for 'nothing' .... almost. I have tested them, but then they were left in a box....
My spare Meteor will get an alloy CS10 6S.... so that misses out too.
The only 'easy' swap is into the Dynam Me262, which I actually intended to use them for originally. It uses a pair of L2855-2300kv CS10's with a pair of 70A HK SS ESC's and a pair of 5S 4000 20C on board - so it is like "Two Meteors" really! LOL.
But it weighs more than double!! Meteor at 1.4Kg area, Me-262 at 3.6Kg.
Love those Red Bricks!

Do you 'Dynamically balance" your edf/motor combos or just balance the fan? Been reading up on that.

Edit
What advantage does the metal spinner give? Didn't order one but still can.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:43 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
I did about two dynamically....
I do them all statically, on a home made magnetic balancer. Then a rough "clock method" when on the bench tester.
I would say I haven't got any as "super nice" as some/many I have heard in videos posted - but then it is hard to tell true sounds from videos anyway. Many things sound 'nicer' anyway.

I will buy a Dynex Vortex balancer when they get them back in stock. That seems a simpler way to dynamic balance them than the 'smart phone balancer' system.

It is an interesting situation......
Good static and a clock method gets them 'easily acceptable' - possibly even pretty good.
But to get a super clean 'whine and whoosh' you need near perfection. Possbily an alloy housing, and the higher quality aftermarket shaft adaptor and spinner - like ExtremeRC or Tamjets. Which improve/reduce tolerances (flex etc) a lot. But then that costs a lot! (A lot more than the basic $30 combo!... about $60 to $70 more)
I think that is only more 'necessary' once you head upwards in power. Say more like 1200W and up.

This L2855-2300kv combo is 900W to 1000W area. Easily nice for a quite fast Meteor... and very low cost... and economical on batteries too.
Once you head to 1200W and upwards, you need more money on EVERYTHING. Motor... better fan bits.... better ESC.... better batteries (40C to 65C).... So you have better HAVE money, and also really want/need that extra performance!! Which to get X amount more you need to spend 2X to get!! Non linear.... costly.... in many ways..

My assessment of it all ended up deciding the next step upwards is to get the Lander 6S Alloy CS10 version. $72 (or $66 wth a buddy code). 1200W area, or even 1300W area some reports. And you can use the same ESC (RB or HKSS 70A), and a 6S 30C almost, but prob best with 40C.
Thus say $42 (fan above $30 prior combo) + $20 (more battery) = $62 area more than the L2855 combo, for 200W (maybe 300W) more.... maybe 10kph to 20kph? Hardly visible... sort of.. but it would SOUND a lot better - far more white noise and whoosh. For the $62 more..... Worth it??? I am not sure, but at least that is not as much as the next step (eg Alloy housing (not Lander), shaft adaptor, spinner, HET motor etc.... so add another $60+ to that Lander solutions cost... BUT that more costly stuff will also be 100g approx LIGHTER in total) ..... and I will find out when I put that spare Meteor together.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jan 07, 2013 at 07:48 AM.