HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:47 AM
USA, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Just got my Skywalker all setup. When I get a HD camera I'm going to have move things around a bit, but I'm content with the current layout.

Anyone have any experience with a flaperon configuration? Does it actually help?
ryanrolds is offline Find More Posts by ryanrolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:46 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrolds View Post
Just got my Skywalker all setup. When I get a HD camera I'm going to have move things around a bit, but I'm content with the current layout.

Anyone have any experience with a flaperon configuration? Does it actually help?
IMO utilize the pre-cut flap locations on the SW. I used them yesterday for the first time and they work really well.
Mikey636 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey636
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
I got my new Skywalker a few days ago and began my build today. I made it surprisingly far, given a half day of work. I was surprised by the quality of some of the parts. When it comes to Chinese airplanes, I automatically expect that I will have to replace most (or all) of the hardware. For the SW, I chose to keep the push-rods and clevises as well as the motor mount.

I used all HS82MG servos and changed out everything for Futaba twisted servo wire. I made an effort to wire this model as cleanly as possible. I cannot stand the birds nest that is so common in FPV planes. Below are some photos - I couldn't get the whole plane in the frame due to the size of the room.

Hopefully there are more photos to come tomorrow. I've already added some FPV equipment, but I'm taking it slowly to avoid wiring mistakes.

-TL
You might want to mmove the elevator wires further fowrard where they run along the rudder hinge line. I usually put glue in that area and if you don't move them, it could cause that area not being glued porperly.

I have my ESC in the same place and I have never had an over heating problem. I'm sure that problem all depends on your set up.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Castle Donington
Joined Aug 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaZ View Post
Hi,
I'm having some problems with installing FMA copilot CPD4 on my skywalker. I have set it up, but when I fly and put it on, it just starts on a climb... Can some post some pictures on a CPD4 setup on skywalker and the switches positions?

Thanks,
Vaz.
The switch positions depend upon how you have mounted the sensor block + or x relative to the fuselage. However, the trick with the CP4 is to follow the instructions very carefully. They are not well written and not laid out to easily read on a screen, more logical if you have them printed out.

1) Set up the CP4 precisely as per the instructions

2) If possible have the sensitivity going to a trim on your radio.

3) Trim the SW for straight and level, hands off the controls at cruising speed with the CP4 turned right down. Land and check all control surfaces are neutral, if not then different issue.

4) Set CP4 sensitivity to maximum, perform the pre-flight check as per instructions

5) Check that servos move in the correct directions when tilting the SW

6) Check that when you hold the the SW in the straight and level flight attitude the control surfaces are neutral.

7) turn down the sensitivity to low-position i.e. stabilisation off

8) launch SW and achieve straight and level flight at cruise power and then slowly increase sensitivity. SW should stay S&L, if not then above not carried out correctly.

Hope this helps, good luck.
electricmick is offline Find More Posts by electricmick
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaZ View Post
Anyone?
The SW is no different than any other airplane (with airelons), so i suggest you to post into a CPD4 specific thread, or to read deeply those thread. If the surfaces moves toward the opposite (expected) direction, it's a matter of reconfigure your CPD4 using the dip switches (read the instructions).
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:59 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number View Post
Mines done. No special mods. 2 x 2200 and a GoPro balances fine and IMO CoG should not be any more forward than the servo wires even 5-10mm back works good. Enjoying this plane lots.

http://vimeo.com/13097075
absolutley beautiful :-)
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:12 PM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
that's a very nice nose job :-)
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Just to let you know that i did ste step and moved on from my beloved EZ, i've reached the limit of space and weigth (1460gr..), struggling each day to tiny space, having a flying tank. Hoping this is the right choice to move forward, anyway i'm the SW Club now.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:55 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,721 Posts
npole,

it is a flying tank....
Alishamao uses a 4s-5000mah as his Flight Lipo....
and he uses a 3s-1800mah for his VideoTx and BEC....

thats a lot of weight of Lipos alone.....plus he adds more
with OSD, RTH, FlightStabilization modules, GoPro, FlightCCD cam,,,,
etc....
all in all, it will fly great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/alishanm...33/GZ0FZJWEBuI
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Apr 03, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
npole,
it is a flying tank....
This is what i want, a flying tank, and i mean smooth turns, handling great in the wind, costant (and perhaps slow) speed. I've did the same with my EZ, but i am at that point that i cannot do much else, and it's going to loose its proverbial stability (with that much weigth i'm encountering more and more occasions for dip stalls and unxepected behaviours, plus my flight time reached its limit).
I'm stuck with the single battery here, i've optimized my scheme already for this solution by years, and i'm good with it (i don't have to care about multiple lipo's and such), with the correct "procedures" you're safe.
Now i had to make the decision, to not waste more money to change my lipos again, i'm forced to go with the 3S (my entiere electric scheme uses the 12V and i won't to make it more complex) and i'm hoping to have made the correct decision: single 10Ah lipo. I've read different opinion about it, so i'm not sure.. until i'll maiden it.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post

I have my ESC in the same place and I have never had an over heating problem. I'm sure that problem all depends on your set up.
Me too. My ESC is under the wing. I put my baro/temp sensor in there too and the compartment's never gotten above 76F. There is actually an air inlet to the compart, but most folks fill it with a pan servo, camera, or GPS module. I left it open and even stuck a cut-off plastic spoon 'air scoop' over it to feed air through the compartment.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:15 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,721 Posts
FY-20A stabilization

For FY-20A v.II stabilization users,

has this module helped a lot in very windy situations when flying
over 15mph winds....?

the only thing that stops me from flying on non rainy days is wind (>15mph).

Hope the FY-20A will give great results and stable flying!

p.s.
what do you guys use for settings? do you just leave it "ON" mode
or "3D" mode all the time..... someone mentioned that the
FY-20A works best if left "ON" all the time from take off to landing.
its more consistant that way, and reliable.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:37 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,721 Posts
I saw this, thats why I asked upabove ;-)

Comparison FY20A Stabilisation Mode 1 / Mode 3 in windy conditions (0 min 58 sec)
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:52 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Dec 2010
152 Posts
Quote:

over 15mph winds....?

p.s.
It's always windy here.. I fly with the FY20 on all the time (except when taking off). It helps A LOT.
Mikey636 is offline Find More Posts by Mikey636
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:59 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:

over 15mph winds....?

p.s.
I had, but sold, my FY-20 before I got my Skywalker. They do recommend not using one of the modes when landing...might be the auto-level mode...as you had to fight it more to bring it down and flare. Probably just normal mode would be fine all the time or have it on auto-level and just turn the FY on/off via Tx switch when/as needed. Personally, I think it'd be better having a way to turn the FY off in flight. If it were to decided to start doing weird things when on you'd have to fight it if you didn't have a way of turning it off.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member