SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Discussion
Cambria Miri 120"

Cambria Miri 120"
Anyone seen this model from the UK here in the states. Good looking pod and boom glider from the 70's. Here are a few of the pictures from the guys over at RCU.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:44 AM
United States, NC, Kernersville
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Tinkrerpilot,
...just to say....chance would be a fine thing...I knew the designer of the glider personally. His name was John Venti, the originator the Cambria name, based in Llanidloes in Mid Wales. If I remember rightly, the model was available in 100 and 120 inch versions. I like you would love to have a kit of one of these....good luck in your quest....

cheers,

checkprop
checkprop is offline Find More Posts by checkprop
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:39 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
checkprop

Thanks for the post. It seems that we are left out of some of the really nice designs from other parts of the world.

I do have something in work with one of the guys from the UK for a fus and some partial plans. Check it out on RCU. SO with some luck, I can get one in the air.
Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

tink
Last edited by tinkrerpilot; Jan 25, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Hey Tink,

Looks like that kind Gent in the UK has got a goody package of a fuse and plans for you....ready to send ... Could you do me a favour and let me know when you get them as I would be interested in getting hold of a copy of the plans (for a price of course)....

Thanks,

Checkprop
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:24 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,727 Posts
Any one know who owns the Cambria kits now?
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:32 AM
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for subscribing to this thread...
Apparently, the Cambria name has gone through a couple owners over the years. The current owners of the Company offer a portion of the original range of kits plus some newer designs. here's the link
http://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk

Cambria originally offered a good selection of glider models including the Capstan (soarer), Scimitar (aerobatic soarer), Slingsby skylark, Elan (100 inch soarer)-still available, scale Breguet Fauvette and as above the miri.
The emphasis seems to be on the powered side of things, it would be great to see some of the gliders 'rise again'. The son of the original owner is still based in Mid-Wales, 'Nick Venti', he may be able to shed some light on precisely what has happened to the marque over the years. good luck...Here's another link...http://votenickventi.com

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Checkprop
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:38 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
checkprop,

Granted its on its way. But then the work really starts. Fuselage needs to be gone over and reworked backed to useable condition. The plans are a partial set on the wings. They only go out to rib 20 or 22 at 2 inch spacing. So they will be some work. Fuselage, I am thinking could be done in wood. May need some CAD work and some fiberglass work.
Will know more when it gets here.

Mark,

Steve Tandy is the current owner. Contacted him through an e-mail and got a response that they are not into the gliders at this time but would like to bring some of the planes. No information on the Miri eiither. Mosty into the power planes at this time.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:23 PM
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Tink,

thanks for the reply. concerning the fuse pod...CAD is my profession so if you need help creating the pod in 3d data, let me know..just a thought.

Quick question....does Steve Tandy own the rights to all the cambria range including the gliders??

Cheers,

Checkprop
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:23 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Good to know checkprop. Think I am going to need it to get this together in the right order. The wing is going to need some work. I would like to get it to the stage of both halves showing in the plans. Only the one side right at the moment. Also need to figure in the additional length since it is about half of whats there. Woould be nice to lay the ribs out and have them laser cut. Just kicking the ideas around to see where to go.
If you guys have any, PM me or throw them out here .

For the other question, I was going to answer from work earlier, but the firewall in the system would not let me post out.

I do not know if Steve has the rights for the rest of the Cambria line or not. I would say not from the previous mail from him. I could send another e-mail and see. Think I will. Would be interesting to see where the line goes.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:59 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,900 Posts
Interesting thread guys, Cambria/Cambrian are a bit of a mystery to me. I saw a Capstan on the slope about 15 years ago and the 'Funfighters' are still popular.

I built the Elan 100S glider recently (there is a thread in here somewhere) and just received the large scale Bf 109E which says that it was designed by John Venti on the plans, it's a nice kit and I will be starting a thread on building it soon (but not in 'Thermal'!).

I do hope that they keep trading and bring back some of the older designs as there is a market for them. I did e-mail the company and got a reply from Steve ref the 109 and also gave permission to use any of my photos from the build thread for the Elan for his website (no picture of this glider at all there at the moment).

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:05 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Hello Gary,

Yeah, I know the feeling. Wish they would too! What would really be great is if they brought back a full line of the old models and make them new again. That would be something. Right now they are more into other models that peak their interests.

Anyway, the other news is that the fuselage from the UK has arrived along with the partial plans. Will post pictures later this week. Fuse is really rough and will take some work to get going. Jon did say it was not that good but servicable. That it is. The plans are a little short in the span but are workable. Little bit of luck and some hard work will get this bird together. zGot a few other projects in the fire at the moment. Will spend some time on this one to straighten out everything. More to come later.

Lyle
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:25 AM
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Tink,

Great news , you've received the package!!
Keep us posted on your progress.

cheers,

Checkprop
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:48 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
May not get to it till this weekend. Trying to get some of the other little things out of the way first. This will be no short term project. Lot to do to get it in the air. Will keep things moving though as we progress on it.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:58 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Well here it is. Long awaited for fuselage for the Miri 120. Its in pretty rough shape but workable. Going to have to sand her down and get a good look at the glass work. The tailboom is pretty solid and held fast in the pod. May have to do some work on this the clean it up to standards. All in all, not to bad.

Anyone want to make a glass mold for it? Had someone lined up and got pushed back out of the way. Was third in line and now the delay is beyond my time frame.

Will start working the wings to finish the drawings. Have to add another 60" to wing to make it complete. Then a reverse copy to get both halves in the works.

I maybe a little over my head in this project. But will try the best I can. There is no hurry in this model. Will be looking at a wood built fuseklage and composite boom too.

Any ideas or suggestion?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:01 AM
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Tink,

Good to see you've got the goods from the chap in the UK. Got a bit of work to do eh.. I recently worked with a guy who specializes in fiberglass work,
maybe if I was to put the photos under his nose he could give us an idea of what it would take to get a mold made..what do you think??
Questions,.. is the fuselage pod assembly detailed on the remnants of the plans???
Is the canopy shown in front and side view??
If so I would probably be able to build 3d surface data, just a thought....from scans...
Overall this definitely looks like a job for a laser cutter ..yes??
Just my 2cents...and GOOD LUCK..

Cheers,

Checkprop