Sep 14, 2014, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lil Satan

Hey guy's

I'm having a hard time covering my Lil Satan around the two rear beam.
i can't see how to prevent the covering from tearing around these beam.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2014, 10:06 AM
Hi,

Are you covering with tissue or with Oracover?

If you cover with tissue, CG 's istruction s say to glue the beams after covering the wing. As the tissue is poreous, the glue goes through it and the beams are still glued to the wood underneatH.

If you cover with Oracover or other Iron-on stuff, you better make the centre upper and lower wood panel larger than the distance between both beams so you can attach the covering to the wood.

Have a look at these threads:

http://www.coxengineforum.com/t4547-...light=JR+SATAN

http://www.coxengineforum.com/t2979-...ight=lil+satan

Hope this helps.

Lieven
Sep 14, 2014, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
thanks Overload

that's my problem the plane was already built when I received it and i'm trying to recover it because of all the tears and holes from years of laying around.
this one maybe a complete redo.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:50 AM
Old Timer
Add triangular balsa extensions on the outboard corners of the center planking, and notch the covering more generously based on the added attachment area thus provided. When my kids were about nine and ten (Jeff was 51 last July), they built and flew a lot of little planes like Little Satans, with a lot looking more like the Lil' Bat (a Plank with the elevator directly hinged to the wing), all of them with an airfoil based on the Baby Streak.

They were simple enough for a kid to cut out and assemble with a few simple jigs, and they tore them up fairly rapidly, all things considered.

Kiwi
Sep 15, 2014, 03:26 PM
i biult one of these as a kid and put RR1. thing was very fast. Wish I still had the motor. My Dad gave all my engines away when i was in Viet-nam.
Sep 15, 2014, 03:58 PM
Old Timer
My old man disliked anything futuristic looking, disposed of my Sassy Saucer when I was off at Baylor U. I had moved its engine to another plane he didn't dislike as much.

Before the boys were born, several local sport fliers wanted to fly combat just for grins and giggles, and I was the remaining active flier they knew with contest experience (I don't know what Dickie Ritch was doing in 1961/1962, before he and I made our separate ways from here to Houston). I had them build Junior Satans and put 19s on them, and those things lasted most of the few months the group seemed to be interested, and weren't bad flying planes at all.

At one of the last Top Gun combat meets at Tucson, I had a great time. There's a thread on the forum that Andre started, mentioning Larry Scarinzi, and he was there that weekend. He and I had several enjoyable conversations between matches.

Kiwi

Quick Reply